Prospect Info: The Big Mac Thread - Part 2 - Extra Bacon Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I went to the game last night, mostly to watch McCarron but also of course to check out a few other top drafted and prospect players.

Regarding McCarron,
- he played Centre the entire game. No RW at all.
- his lack of scoring on the Generals since his trade there is not because he is on the 3rd or 4th line with scrubs. His left-winger all game long was Tobias Lindberg, Oshawa's 2nd leading scorer (4th-round pick from Sweden by Ottawa Senators in 2013), and his right winger was Brent Pedersen (5th round pick by Carolina in 2013). He also got a lot of 4on4 or 4on3 time with Dal Colle late in the game.
- he got a lot of ice time, especially in the 3rd and overtime. In the 3rd period when Oshawa was down 2-0, the 67s had a run of penalties and I'm pretty sure Dal Colle and McCarron both played the entire first 2 minutes of the first penalty before McCarron (first) went off for about a minute before coming back on again when the next powerplay turned into another 5 on 3.
- I was impressed by his hustle all game long. He had "jump" in his game, especially on the forecheck. Guy moves really well for a big guy. I recall reading that he dropped a few pounds for this season, and it looks like that has helped.
- his winning goal in overtime was a nice shot. He was set up all alone on a 2 on 1 by Dal Colle, and he took his time to snap a shot low glove side from about 15 feet out.

Overall I was pretty impressed by McCarron. I saw him play live once last year with the Knights against Kingston and there just wasn't much to take notice of back then other than his size. Last night was watching someone being far more involved and consistently contributing to the play, especially in the offensive zone on the forecheck, moving the puck along the boards, and going to the front of the net.

Thank you for taking the time to write down your thoughts for us.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
I went to the game last night, mostly to watch McCarron but also of course to check out a few other top drafted and prospect players.

Regarding McCarron,
- he played Centre the entire game. No RW at all.
- his lack of scoring on the Generals since his trade there is not because he is on the 3rd or 4th line with scrubs. His left-winger all game long was Tobias Lindberg, Oshawa's 2nd leading scorer (4th-round pick from Sweden by Ottawa Senators in 2013), and his right winger was Brent Pedersen (5th round pick by Carolina in 2013). He also got a lot of 4on4 or 4on3 time with Dal Colle late in the game.
- he got a lot of ice time, especially in the 3rd and overtime. In the 3rd period when Oshawa was down 2-0, the 67s had a run of penalties and I'm pretty sure Dal Colle and McCarron both played the entire first 2 minutes of the first penalty before McCarron (first) went off for about a minute before coming back on again when the next powerplay turned into another 5 on 3.
- I was impressed by his hustle all game long. He had "jump" in his game, especially on the forecheck. Guy moves really well for a big guy. I recall reading that he dropped a few pounds for this season, and it looks like that has helped.
- his winning goal in overtime was a nice shot. He was set up all alone on a 2 on 1 by Dal Colle, and he took his time to snap a shot low glove side from about 15 feet out.

Overall I was pretty impressed by McCarron. I saw him play live once last year with the Knights against Kingston and there just wasn't much to take notice of back then other than his size. Last night was watching someone being far more involved and consistently contributing to the play, especially in the offensive zone on the forecheck, moving the puck along the boards, and going to the front of the net.

These are the types of posts I always hope to see when I come to HF. A solid briefing on a prospect that I'll never get to see except for some crappy highlights or until he makes the big show.

Thanks RandR

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Regarding McCarron...
...Overall I was pretty impressed by McCarron...Last night was watching someone being far more involved and consistently contributing to the play
, especially in the offensive zone on the forecheck...

Thanks for the informative post.:)

Thank you for taking the time to write down your thoughts for us.

These are the types of posts I always hope to see when I come to HF. A solid briefing on a prospect that I'll never get to see except for some crappy highlights or until he makes the big show. Thanks RandR

good stuff, thanks for posting. :handclap::yo:

+1

(like others here...thanks for the helpful info...very appreciated... really sounds like McCarron is a different player compared to last season...and he's going to get better and better).

Go McCarron Go!! (keep it up!!).

p.s.: McCarron as a CENTER for our Habs? Wow!!
(it's just good to have that option!! winger/center...in case of injuries to any of our centers...McCarron gives us more options...Pleks, Galchenyuk, Eller, DLR, and now McCarron, heck...even Hudon plays center/winger... best CENTER depth we've had since a long long time).

RandR

May 15, 2011
Thanks for all the positive feedback everyone. :)

It seems to me that since McCarron was recognized to be a project at draft time, the Habs and us fans have good reason to be happy about how he has progressed since last year.

I'd also say that, at least at the OHL level, if you play him with top-end skilled players he will contribute as opposed to holding anyone back. His stats showed that to be true on the Knights this year playing with Domi. And it was only one game to comment on, but on Tuesday his winning goal showed that his skating is good enough to keep up with someone like Dal Colle, and Dal Colle, recognizing that McCarron was in a better shooting position, showed no hesitation giving him the shot.

One negative was that I think he could be a little stronger on his skates. He actually fell to his knees basically on his own a couple of times, and I think he could win more puck battles if he learns how to plant himself better when battling along with boards with players having a lower centre of gravity.

Time will tell, but with his obvious strengths (1. size, 2. mobility for a big man), if I had to guess I can see this guy being a 3rd line player with 2nd-line upside who has that big body the Habs need on the power-play to move the puck along the boards, park himself around the net, do some screening and pot some open shots or rebounds.

Gyfu

May 16, 2011
http://plus.lapresse.ca/screens/efc082c2-9310-459e-be9f-2479ed1528a2|_0.html
Nice article of Brunet on Big Mac. If someone who does the conversion thing faster than I do could do a little English recap feel very free to do so !

oshawa's coach on why mccarron's production is down:... knights would play their best players a lot, oshawa is more of a 4 line team... we aquired him to get bigger at C... learning to be a better 2way player and (quote)''he's gonna be ready to go pro when he leaves oshawa''... they called the habs to discuss his role(mccarron) on the team... he' gonna score most of his goals in nhl inside 3 feet of the net but he'll be efficient on defense as well... imagine chara at center... he's gonna be a complete player... About team u.s.a.. felt team u.s.a never really gave him the chance to make the team

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
oshawa's coach on why mccarron's production is down:... knights would play their best players a lot, oshawa is more of a 4 line team... we aquired him to get bigger at C... learning to be a better 2way player and (quote)''he's gonna be ready to go pro when he leaves oshawa''... they called the habs to discuss his role(mccarron) on the team... he' gonna score most of his goals in nhl inside 3 feet of the net but he'll be efficient on defense as well... imagine chara at center... he's gonna be a complete player... About team u.s.a.. felt team u.s.a never really gave him the chance to make the team

When I read about McCarron scoring three feet from the net, I think about Tim Kerr back in the 80s.

Obviously different era and I'm not expecting MC to net 50 goals lol, but more about what Kerr was doing in front of the net. He was so big nobody could move him.

radicalcenter

Feb 10, 2013

That's a very good news

Bullsmith

May 21, 2007
When I read about McCarron scoring three feet from the net, I think about Tim Kerr back in the 80s.

Obviously different era and I'm not expecting MC to net 50 goals lol, but more about what Kerr was doing in front of the net. He was so big nobody could move him.

The thing that made Kerr so special was his uncanny hands. He could redirect/tip pucks out of the air and into the net like no one else. I actually think Mac is a more rounded player (or can be) than Kerr ever was, but he'll never have that level of hand-eye coordination. Kerr was one of a kind, or close to it, in that regard.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london

I knew after the trade from my home team knights he'd continue to be in goods hands and posted it.
Oshawa (coach DJ ) is a very good one who has his team playing the right way. attention to detail, commitment to systems, work ethic ect... are demanded. Just as in London, they teach what it takes to move on.
Hes just gotta continue to listen, learn and physically develop and all will work out.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
The screen's he's putting up in front of the net on the power play goals don't show up in the stats......but he's helping the Gens special teams (PP&PK) big time. :yo:

Think Holmstrom from the Red Wings Cup winning days........but bigger.

Cant wait until he is wearing a Habs sweater.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
@hockey360
Ce soir 18h30 : des nouvelles de l'espoir du CH, Michael McCarron (@MacAttackUSA93), avec les @Oshawa_Generals. #OHL

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
http://www.rds.ca/télé/hockey-360

Loves it in Oshawa. Tough transition. Plays a more defensive role. Deepest team in the league. McCarron didn't feel like he had a shot at making the American team. Thought he had a good camp. Wasn't mad they lost. Still had a sour taste in his mouth. Oshawa's coach wanted to get bigger at center. Said they couldn't handle North Bay last year as the Battalion were much bigger in the middle.

Last edited:

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
How many teams would love to have a 19 yrs. old 6'6 - 241 lbs. RW that has 27 goals + 24 assists = 51 pts. in 40 gms. in the OHL, while also racking up 103 pims. That's 54 goals and 48 assists = 102 pts + 206pims. in 80 gms., that's the type of totals GM's dream about having from a 19 yr.old OHLer (6'6 - 241 lbs.) fights and delivers bonecrunching hits and plays top six minutes.

Bergevin certainly looks like a genius now doesn't he, after 24 teams passed on McCarron and our own fans were scratching their heads thinking the worst about this prospect.:nod:

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
How many teams would love to have a 19 yrs. old 6'6 - 241 lbs. RW that has 27 goals + 24 assists = 51 pts. in 40 gms. in the OHL, while also racking up 103 pims. That's 54 goals and 48 assists = 102 pts + 206pims. in 80 gms., that's the type of totals GM's dream about having from a 19 yr.old OHLer (6'6 - 241 lbs.) fights and delivers bonecrunching hits and plays top six minutes.

Bergevin certainly looks like a genius now doesn't he, after 24 teams passed on McCarron and our own fans were scratching their heads thinking the worst about this prospect.:nod:

My own feeling is regardless of how good his season is going, the most impressive thing he's done was in pre-season last year. He didn't look out of place with NHLers.

That's reason for optimism.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
My own feeling is regardless of how good his season is going, the most impressive thing he's done was in pre-season last year. He didn't look out of place with NHLers.

That's reason for optimism.

Agreed. That is why I never lost hope. He would find a niche somewhere in the lineup. Right now he's showing it can be Top 6 role.

Carey Chant

Jul 13, 2007
Toronto
Big Mac's last fight. He was dominating Crouse (a potential top 10 pick this year). Crouse cheaped out and grabbed McCarron's leg for a dangerous take down.

Ice Poutine

LA POUTINE IS BACK!
Feb 18, 2006
ON MY CHAIR
Big Mac's last fight. He was dominating Crouse (a potential top 10 pick this year). Crouse cheaped out and grabbed McCarron's leg for a dangerous take down.

He fights much better than before but he still doesnt use his legs to generate power in his punches. He's stiff legged when he fights and someone should teach him how to slightly crouch a bit, a heavy guy could topple him him sideways easily with his stance.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

Yeah, he and Dave Andreychuck were pretty proprotypical of the immovable objects as players in front of the net. It was all Kerr could do though. He was an awful skater just horrible to watch, but he had fantastic balance and knew how to use his stick to plant himself.

Kerr had great hands, and knew how to tip pucks or get to rebounds. I like the Primeau comparison over the Kerr one because Kerr was so one dimensional. It would be nice though to have someone so dominating in front of the net.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
He fights much better than before but he still doesnt use his legs to generate power in his punches. He's stiff legged when he fights and someone should teach him how to slightly crouch a bit, a heavy guy could topple him him sideways easily with his stance.

Agreed, I hope someone teaches him before he gets to the AHL because there are some experienced fighters who will relish at the opportunity of clocking the 6 foot 6 kid with a questionnable stance hardly protecting himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad