The best "hockey players" of all time?

ElsinoreBrewery

Jun 9, 2009
Potter County, PA
I'm looking to see opinions of who are the best complete hockey players ever in the NHL. I'm talking about guys who could score an end to end goal, make a defensive play for the puck, check you through the glass and then beat up your tough guy. I submit Orr and Howe for obvious starters.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Jean Béliveau and Sprague Cleghorn comes to mind as well.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
the last time i saw a guy who not only could do all of those things but also did consistently do them was pronger's hart season.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Larry Robinson fits the criteria. Didn't score a lot, but he could pick his spots and did at times go end for end.

He certainly did the rest.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
I would have so much fun coaching this team I'd probably get fired for just sitting down giggling to myself behind the bench instead of actually coaching them, although to be fair this isn't a lineup that needs just a whole lot of coaching:

Ted Lindsay - Jean Beliveau - Gordie Howe
Busher Jackson - Phil Esposito - Stan Mikita
Brendan Shanahan - Bryan Trottier - Lanny McDonald
Toe Blake - Bobby Clarke - Jerome Iginla
Mark Messier

Doug Harvey - Bobby Orr
Eddie Shore - Larry Robinson
Ray Bourque - Denis Potvin
Chris Chelios​

tommygunn

Dec 2, 2008
I would have so much fun coaching this team I'd probably get fired for just sitting down giggling to myself behind the bench instead of actually coaching them, although to be fair this isn't a lineup that needs just a whole lot of coaching:

Mark Messier

Doug Harvey - Bobby Orr
Chris Chelios​
No goaltender? :)

Oilers1*

Foppa with Howes longevity. End of story.

How about Gordie Howe with Gordie Howe's longevity?

Since, y'know, he was better than Forsberg in literally every facet of the game ;)

Three guys stand out above all others, to me:

Orr
Howe
Messier

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California

Mark Messier

Doug Harvey - Bobby Orr
Chris Chelios​

You might have the "too much leadership" syndrome, but other than that, oh and the lack of a goaltender, this team is ridiculous.

Reactions: authentic

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I think the HOH top-100 list does a good job. Not every player on the list is perfect, but those who aren't are so good offensively or defensively that they make up for other players being better in one area or the other.

JarkkoRuutu

Nov 3, 2008
I've watched a lot of hockey in my life, but I've never seen a goaltender who could score an end to end goal, make a defensive play for the puck, check you through the glass and then beat up another team's tough guy.

Please post the youtube link if you've got one ...

Ron Hextall's the closest I've seen to that, though his goals weren't end to end.

greatgazoo

Jan 26, 2008
Cobourg
Messier could meet almost all of those criteria except beat up the other team's tough guy. However, he could at least drop the mitts and hang on to him!

tommygunn

Dec 2, 2008
I've watched a lot of hockey in my life, but I've never seen a goaltender who could score an end to end goal, make a defensive play for the puck, check you through the glass and then beat up another team's tough guy.

Please post the youtube link if you've got one ...
Easy there, Tex.. :rolleyes:

You did say 'team'.. and I've watched a lot of hockey in my life too, and every 'team' I've ever seen has always included a goalie.

What hockey have you been watching? :help:

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
22 posts without mention of Milt Schmidt? Apart from the fact that he was only a ''good'' goalscorer, he had absolutely everything else:

- Great playmaker
- Tough as nail
- Great bodychecker
- Excellent stickhandler
- Excellent defensively
- Very fast
- Amazing stamina
- One of best leader of All-Time

TheHotRock

Jul 17, 2007
nyc
Messier could meet almost all of those criteria except beat up the other team's tough guy. However, he could at least drop the mitts and hang on to him!

i've only been watching hockey seriously since about 93, but that's about right.

trottier probably has to be in this discussion though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad