The best Fighter, Bodychecker who was a star.

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
Howe,Orr,S.Stevens,C.Neely,W.Clark,R.Tochett,B.Shanahan,E.Lindros &C.Gillies are the names that come to mind of the top of my head I'm sure I'm forgetting a few.
My personal favorites to watch were of course the Great Bobby Orr followed by Neely,Clark and S.Stevens they were what hockey use to be all about players who could bring you out of your seat with a devasting body check a big highlight reel goal or knock you on your can with a flurry of left & rights.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
Scott Stevens is easily the best I've ever seen. I didn't see guys in the 50s, 60s, and 70s.

Wooty

Dec 31, 2006
Harbor City, CA
I am not normally a big fan of his but I gotta say it...

Lindross?

I guess really his career was too short but for a while there he was very strong.

Edit: I have thought about it, he doesn't really fit this category. For top Power Player maybe but not this.

Last edited:

Raoul Duke*

Easily Eric Lindros.

There was never a more dominating force on the ice in the NHL. He scored, he hit, he fought, he took his opponents on by the twos and by threes.

I remember Mark Messier on David Letterman once saying how he only ever feared one player in the NHL - Eric Lindros. He was saying that you could hear him bearing down on you because he was so fast and big that the sound of him skating was like a train coming down the tracks.

brianguy

Oct 26, 2006
the Orange Curtain
depends what era you're talking about. but the two names that immediately came to mind (many considered) were Howe and Messier.

so I guess I'd pick those two respectively, for the pre-modern and modern eras. even though Howe retired not that long ago, he's best known for playing in the 50's and 60's when he did the most damage by far.

after reviewing the list further, I'd want to give honorable mentions to guys like Shanahan and Stevens. to me, even though a guy like Tocchet put up occassionally outstanding numbers he wasn't enough of a skill guy to warrant being called best. even more so with Stevens. I was never a huge fan of Shanny but he was a mean fighter when he had to, could check like an SOB and excellent finisher.

I'm tempted to include a guy like Blake or Pronger and I might argue one or both belongs. Pronger can throw his body around when he wants to, though I've never thought highly of his fighting skills. Blake is actually a good brawler but most don't know it since he gave it up years ago (before his Norris campaign), but wasn't far behind Shanny in that department. One more name - what about K. Hatcher? Derian was sort of in the same mold also, slightly less skilled but meaner.

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
Didn't Bucyk have a pretty nasty hip check? Tim Horton would fit the bill as well, probably one of the strongest guys to ever play.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I don't think it's such a no-brainer. Messier was never exactly a dominant fighter, and he kinda picked his spots.
He wasn't even close to a dominant fighter. Very overrated and like you said a spot picker.

The players with the best combo of skill, hitting and fighting imo were Gillies, Robinson, O'Reilly, Tocchet, Neely, Stevens, Clark and Shanahan. There's a few others that could be put in there as well. Howe too I guess although I've heard his fighting ability is more myth then truth. Many of the best players from the 60's and earlier were good fighters. Shore, Rocket, Pocket Rocket, Schmidt, Cleghorn, Siebert, Lindsay, Horner, Muzz Patrick to name a few.

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Messier diffently fits the criteria Mr. intensity himself but if you ever watched the bruins oilers playoff games you've may've noticed when Mr.Neely came around Messier would quickly disappear.

Messier was not a guy who hit everything that moved and fought everyone
he ran into. He picked his spots, but not because he was intimidated.
Messier was a high impact guy. He showed up when things needed to
get done. With all due respect to Cam Neely who I really like, Boston
never really pushed the Oilers so there was little need for Messier
to mix it up.

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
He wasn't a fighter but someone I was very impressed with as a bodychecker was Ray Bourque. He was a great technical hitter and always seemed to deliver solid hits and didn't get caught trying to throw a big hit at the wrong time and get beat.

doc5hole

Nov 30, 2003
www.southcoasttoday.com
He wasn't a fighter but someone I was very impressed with as a bodychecker was Ray Bourque. He was a great technical hitter and always seemed to deliver solid hits and didn't get caught trying to throw a big hit at the wrong time and get beat.

Not per se in his prime and beyond, but Bourque did fight during his first few seasons ... notable doozies with Dennis Polonich and Al MacAdam.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad