OT: ~The Beer, Spirits, & Nightlife Thread V5~ Time For Good Beer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
I've heard a lot about Lot 40 as well and like others i'd be interested in a review. Another Canadian Rye that i've really wanted to try is Alberta Premium Dark Horse. I have some interest in the Collingwood 21 Year Old Rye as well. it comes in a bottle that looks like a nondescript eau de toilette but where else are you going to get a 100% rye that's been aged over 20 years for $60? the low proof does worry me.

Last edited:

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Another Scotch noob question here but are there any special ways I need to store my Glenfiddich and the (although it's not Scotch) Lot 40??

Right now I have the bottles of Glenfiddich still in those tin container thingies sitting on the floor of my closet with the Lot 40 and all my vodka bottles. And my closet doors are closed so no light comes in. Will that be ok??

And do i need to keep my Glenfiddich in those cylindrical tin container thingies or are they just to look pretty while storing the bottles at the liqour store??

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
it's sunlight that does the most damage to spirits (i think regular, non-UV light is fine). you should be fine as long as the spirits are kept in a cool, dry place, where they don't come in contact with sunlight (like a cabinet). the box helps with dealing with light, but i don't think you need it if the location (closet/cabinet/shelf) is a good location. i like to keep the boxes because the extra effort in opening the box and taking the bottle out of the tin provides just enough disincentive for me to pick something more economical to drink like a bourbon or rye over some of the more expensive bottles. ha. i do think they're more for marketing/branding purposes.

Last edited:

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
Another Scotch noob question here but are there any special ways I need to store my Glenfiddich and the (although it's not Scotch) Lot 40??

Right now I have the bottles of Glenfiddich still in those tin container thingies sitting on the floor of my closet with the Lot 40 and all my vodka bottles. And my closet doors are closed so no light comes in. Will that be ok??

And do i need to keep my Glenfiddich in those cylindrical tin container thingies or are they just to look pretty while storing the bottles at the liqour store??

should be fine. the key is to keep it away from light (your closet or the tins both does this)

SaintLouHaintBlue

Have another donut
Feb 22, 2014
Michigan

Well, if you notice - not all drinks in the liquor store come in boxes. The box is mostly for presentation. Most liquor stores have UV tinted windows, and that offers enough protection.

UV light is a damager of wine, beer, and spirits - so keep them in a dark place - a cabinet, cupboard, drawer, in the pantry - away from light, and constant heat changes (such as near a heat duct, or above the kitchen oven)

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Just opened my bottle of Appleton 21 year old limited edition rum I got for Christmas. Oh man is this unbelievably good. Amazing nose, incredibly smooth in the mouth while flavorful, then has a delicious dry brown sugar finish. So naturally I had to try pours of the rest of my aged rums to compare, which there are...many...and I'm feeling pretty good now. lol. This 21 year old rum is the best spirit I've ever had, any category.

x0o2hj.jpg

Last edited:

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
Just opened my bottle of Appleton 21 year old limited edition rum I got for Christmas. Oh man is this unbelievably good. Amazing nose, incredibly smooth in the mouth while flavorful, then has a delicious dry brown sugar finish. So naturally I had to try pours of the rest of my aged rums to compare, which there are...many...and I'm feeling pretty good now. lol. This 21 year old rum is the best spirit I've ever had, any category.

x0o2hj.jpg

:handclap:

i feel jealousy

SaintLouHaintBlue

Have another donut
Feb 22, 2014
Michigan
Anyone know of any bars that will have KBS and when it'll be out?

I was able to get a hold of that one year. It's not easy.
As good as it is, you may not even find it worth it, unless you enjoy the whole overly hectic process (which I do).

I had to wait outside a bottle shop for 6 hours until I saw the (clandestine) shipment come in, because it was first-come first serve.

This year my target is FFF Dark Lord.

http://darklordday.com

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
How was the Lot 40?

Indeed. How would you describe it?

Very strong rye taste and a tad spicy with an almost cinnamon-y and kinda woodlike finish. Also it seems to get more mellow and smooth once a bit is gone from the bottle and it's great for mixing. It's not something I'd drink a lot of continuously but I like it. :)

Don't quote me on any of this though, I'm new to whiskey drinking (aside from regular Crown Royal) and my tastebuds are maybe still shot as I only quit smoking a year ago. Go easy on me.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
So, in my neck of the woods, a new Bottlehouse/Pizza/Sandwich Shop opened up, "Grain and Verse". An old high school friend of mine works there as the resident beer snob.

Interesting place, the food isn't bad, and they have a decent beer selection.

They seem to want to have a metropolitan/hipster vibe, but being a new opening, the location is kind of barren and there isn't much of an atmosphere yet.

It's a little bit too expensive for someone with a crappy job like mine, but I did like the food.

I know there aren't very many people on this board from my part of PA, but I figured I'd mention it all the same.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
So after opening my 375 ml. bottle today, I'm on the fence about Glenlivet 12 Year Old Single Malt...

On the one hand I don't like how it has more of a "burn" when you swallow it compared to Glenfiddich 12 Year Old which goes down silky smooth. Yet on the other hand I really like how the Glenlivet has a very citrus-y finish and aftertaste that lingers for a bit. I find that citrus hit very refreshing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad