OT: ~The Beer, Spirits, & Nightlife Thread V5~ Time For Good Beer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
meh not a fan of Shock Top, of course I pretty much despise InBevAB, so I'm a tad biased.

I'm still so angry about AB buying Elysian. We lost one of the good ones.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I missed the news on Elysian. That really sucks.

How funny that they brew this beer...
Elysian-Loser.jpg

http://www.elysianbrewing.com/elysian-beers/loser-pale-ale/

And this too

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I missed the news on Elysian. That really sucks.

How funny that they brew this beer...
Elysian-Loser.jpg

http://www.elysianbrewing.com/elysian-beers/loser-pale-ale/

And this too

Oh yeah between that and the Budweiser commercial during the super bowl, the irony is thick.

I feel bad for the brewers at Elysian. They found out a day before the public did and now have to "defend" the brewery that sold them out without a say. I mean, the owners worked really hard and deserve this pay day if that's what they want, but how are you going to be so against corporate beer and then sell out to one and not expect your faithful customers to boycott you?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
They made an offer to Cigar City too. No sale as of yet. I love how they put down craft beers and than try to buy them all.

That is because they want to water corner the market, slowly water them down, and make more money, effectively killing the movement. InbevAB is about as evil as greedy as a corporation gets.

SaintLouHaintBlue

Have another donut
Feb 22, 2014
Michigan
Oh yeah between that and the Budweiser commercial during the super bowl, the irony is thick.

I feel bad for the brewers at Elysian. They found out a day before the public did and now have to "defend" the brewery that sold them out without a say. I mean, the owners worked really hard and deserve this pay day if that's what they want, but how are you going to be so against corporate beer and then sell out to one and not expect your faithful customers to boycott you?

I think I read that THE owner was against it, but was outvoted 2-1/4-1 by his closes partners.

With a company like ABInbev, it shouldn't be about dollar signs. I want to see Inbev kicked back down to a Sam Adams size so bad, but you can't expect everyone to have this freaking list memorized.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I think I read that THE owner was against it, but was outvoted 2-1/4-1 by his closes partners.

With a company like ABInbev, it shouldn't be about dollar signs. I want to see Inbev kicked back down to a Sam Adams size so bad, but you can't expect everyone to have this freaking list memorized.

Were they ever that small?

SaintLouHaintBlue

Have another donut
Feb 22, 2014
Michigan
Were they ever that small?

Probably not that small, but they deserve to be that way.

I was envisioning the late 1800s, where they were not a ubiquitous international brand, but had developed pasteurization (yuck) and refrigerated transport. Still a big US brand, but nowhere near powerful enough to purchase every perceived competitor.

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh

I didn't know that Hoegaarden was theirs too. Mother****er.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Yup I avoid all ABinbev products if I can help it. There are so many small breweries out there making great beer that i want to support and AB wants to kill them all

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Bought 3 more bottles of this stuff this morning...

1026489russian_standard_platinum_40_70cl.jpg

Last night I finished the bottle I had purchased a few weeks ago. It's so smooth it's like drinking silk. Hell I must have drank about 80% of the bottle at room temperature and even when warm the stuff is as smooth as can be, has a crisp and clean taste, and doesn't burn at all.

Move over Ketel One, I now have a new favourite. :D And I highly reccomend it to anyone here who likes vodka.

SaintLouHaintBlue

Have another donut
Feb 22, 2014
Michigan
Bought 3 more bottles of this stuff this morning...

Last night I finished the bottle I had purchased a few weeks ago. It's so smooth it's like drinking silk. Hell I must have drank about 80% of the bottle at room temperature and even when warm the stuff is as smooth as can be, has a crisp and clean taste, and doesn't burn at all.

Move over Ketel One, I now have a new favourite. :D And I highly reccomend it to anyone here who likes vodka.

How do you drink your vodka?
I don't think I've ever seen anyone drink it outside of a cocktail (except in commercials).

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
How do you drink your vodka?
I don't think I've ever seen anyone drink it outside of a cocktail (except in commercials).

Well lately with the Russian Standard Platinum I've been drinking it warm and straight. Other brands of vodka I'd buy like Ketel One or normal Russisn Standard I'd toss in the freezer then drink straight it when it's nice and chilled.

Here and there I'll also make a Caesar or a Bloody Mary but I find now that Russian Standard Platinum is too good of vodka to "waste" by mixing it.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Well lately with the Russian Standard Platinum I've been drinking it warm and straight. Other brands of vodka I'd buy like Ketel One or normal Russisn Standard I'd toss in the freezer then drink straight it when it's nice and chilled.

Here and there I'll also make a Caesar or a Bloody Mary but I find now that Russian Standard Platinum is too good of vodka to "waste" by mixing it.

Sounds good, i'm into beer (totes) and wine (rarely) but i used to drink Zombies in bars when i was younger. Might recommand that brand ya connaisseur man.

Retrocity

The Ninja
Sep 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
I like Moscow Mules for vodka related drinks.

Picked up some Founder's Backwoods ******* yesterday. Basically an oak bourbon barrel aged version of Dirty *******. It's awesome.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Yeah, I'm drinking a modified Moscow Mule now, with the addition of a splash of pomegranate liqueur. Really good.

--not surprisingly, even better with the Jamaican Mule.

Last edited:

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Isn't that a bit warm on the hand?

Decided to open my last bottle of 2013 Pumking (wasn't sure how long it would age well), so about 18 months aged. Still in great shape, actually still packs all of the fresh bottle flavor except it seems like much of the alcohol taste from a fresh bottle is now muted. Very nice.

I think beer aging might catch on more as people realize "brewery fresh" is overrated with the higher gravity, quality brews (especially in porters and stouts). Keep the beer below 80 degrees in a dark place and it's interesting to see how they change, especially bottle conditioned beer.

--Same experience with an 18 month old bottle of Sam Adams Fat Jack. Seems like as much fresh bottle pumpkin flavor with a mellowing of the alcohol taste. These have been outstanding tonight.

Had an 18 month old bottle of Mother's Squashed! a couple of nights ago and it was much better than the 2014 batch bottle I got this year. Maybe I've hit a sweet spot for boozy pumpkin beers.

Unfortunately I'm out of all of them now...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad