World Cup: The Beauty of Team Europe vs Team Canada.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
With the defeat of Team Sweden this afternoon, Team Europe has advanced to face Team Canada at the 2016 World Cup Final. While some spectators naturally look on with cynicism, I think that this match up is the best possible outcome for the event.

In a tournament known as the World Cup, we have nine countries being represented in the Final, eight of which have been belittled at every international tournament by the world's strongest hockey nations. The World Cup has brought these countries together in a way that was never imaginable before.

What makes it so fascinating is that all of these countries that have conventionally been deemed the "underdogs" now have a chance to unite against the top-ranked powerhouse country, Canada, and potentially accomplish a feat that they would never have been able to do alone. This would be the ultimate tale of vengeance for them to be able to take down the country that generally crushes them at every encounter.

Eight countries that, on their own have no chance, are now united to face Canada and potentially take down the king of hockey. Even after being assembled as a group, they were laughed at and mocked, considered by many to be incapable of accomplishing anything during the tournament. By embracing one another and encapsulating the spirit of good will beaten nations, however, they have shocked the hockey world. They have beaten the odds and now, together, have a chance to dethrone the top nation in hockey.

"Seven Nation Army" is their goal song, although eight stand in harmony as their fans cheer as one; this alliance of eight flags gives them their greatest ever opportunity for revenge. This is the story of the little guys working together to take down the king.

Team Europe has proven to be a much-needed beacon of comradery and a symbol of the cosmopolitan community; putting aside their differences and understanding that more can be accomplished together than alone, countries may humble themselves and be as kin. This is one of those rare instances in international sports. This group has triumphed above all expectations.

No matter how this three-game international series unfolds, it should be remembered as the time the underdogs banded together to achieve the unthinkable, including potentially defeating the team that nobody else could. For that, this is an historic moment in hockey -- the time that those countries that receive no respect as hockey nations came together to spite their naysayers, defeat their most fearsome nemeses, and possibly win it all.

This is the fantasy dream matchup that every hockey fan has hungered for. Crosby vs. Tatar, Stamkos vs. Draisatl. Who will dominate, who will prevail among the Super Titans in Toronto? This is the matchup that will finally put memories of 1972 into the garbage bin of history. This was a master stroke by Bettman that will have Africa, Asia and the entire World fastened to their TV sets to live and breathe this thriller every moment.

I have Europe winning 2 straight to secure the Cup!

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Nothing wrong with team Europe, none of these countries can ice a full team so good for them for coming together. All I see here is a lot of whining from people who are mad that USA and Sweden stunk so bad. The Russians looked respectable at least.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It can be in the way you put it, or it can be as a way to prove that these gimmick teams were a bad idea. There's no way this was the desired final pair. A complete anti-climax and tv ratings disaster.

Which is good news to everyone who doesn't want to see these two teams again or this whole tournament again at all as the Olympics replacement.

You ant a ratings disaster? How about CZE vs. TE? Even Canadians wouldn't watch that. As long as Canada is in it you'll get some viewers. Not sure how many Germans, French, or Austrians will be watching to see Draisaitl/Vanek/Bellemare but it only has to be small portion of their populations to rival the viewing audience of tiny ( population wise) Finland.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Yup, you're Canadian with that german flag under your avatar.

Yeah that's leftover from the Euro Cup. Or maybe I'm a sleeper agent for the Stasi. :sarcasm:

God forbid a nation of immigrants display their ancestral cultural heritage in any way, shape, or form. Red and White make right, yeah?

Well said.

Team Canada is a gimmick team as well: no McDavid, or Ekblad, because they're too young?:nod:

Honestly, that's the first time I thought of it like that and you're right. This is essentially the Team Canada Mens Over 23 team. Just as much a gimmick as having a U24 team.

TedLundy

Dec 2, 2014
Nothing wrong with team Europe, none of these countries can ice a full team so good for them for coming together. All I see here is a lot of whining from people who are mad that USA and Sweden stunk so bad. The Russians looked respectable at least.

As a swede, i've actually always seen this tournament as a pre-season show. It's easy for you to say that others whine when you yourself see this differently than others.
Sure, it's best on best, but this whole things feels so unattractive.
Though, i will cheer for Canada in the final. I wont watch it, since it's very late, but i'll catch up on the highlights. It's hockey afterall.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
As a swede, i've actually always seen this tournament as a pre-season show. It's easy for you to say that others whine when you yourself see this differently than others.
Sure, it's best on best, but this whole things feels so unattractive.
Though, i will cheer for Canada in the final. I wont watch it, since it's very late, but i'll catch up on the highlights. It's hockey afterall.

Don't blame the tournament. It was Sweden's strategy to play boring, possession & defence focused hockey that sucked the life out of players & fans. The USA tried the same thing and failed too. At least they have the Torterella/Burke excuse, or are Sweden's coaches that bad too? I don't know.

TedLundy

Dec 2, 2014
Don't blame the tournament. It was Sweden's strategy to play boring, possession & defence focused hockey that sucked the life out of players & fans. The USA tried the same thing and failed too. At least they have the Torterella/Burke excuse, or are Sweden's coaches that bad too? I don't know.

Not talking about how Swedern played, that i agree with. The whole torunament as whole feels unattractive and slow(Except Team NA). There are countries and continents playing in one tournament, which i've never heard of in any sport, maybe there is, i dont know.
Anyhow, it all feels like a pre-season tournament. It is a best on best tournament, but it really doesnt feel like it.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
"Gimmick team", "stupid idea", "not a real tournament"... WTF? You act as if we asked for this. We wanted our own teams in a tournament called "World Cup", we were not allowed to. Most of you defended that decision by saying that this format truly ensures a "best on best" tournament. And now that the midget team keeps eliminating everyone, suddenly it is just a stupid gimmick team that has no place in an international tournament.

Make up your mind. You wanted Team Europe in this tournament, now watch Team Europe win the stupid thing! :yo:
So you think every single Canadians have the same opinion? You really think those who were for the idea of Team Europe and Team North America are the exact same people who now call this tournament and teams gimmicky? Seriously?

the4thlinegrinder

Jul 25, 2011
The Bench
Upper bowl centre, game 1 of the World Cup Final involving Team Canada, in Toronto, eve of the game..... Tickets are available for $39.50 Canadian on stubhub.

Wow. Just wow.

Mr. Penguin

Aug 30, 2004
Finland
The only beauty with this final is the fact that no one will be watching and it will be a ratings disaster, which hopefully means that this is the first and the last time we see a gimmicky tournament with gimmicky teams.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Or history is being written and this "gimmick" team becomes a regular team for future events. They certainly proved competitive.

As for Team NA, the darlings of the tournament, I can see evolving into non age restricted players that weren't originally selected by a non age restricted Canada and U.S.

Teams that represent nobody, don't deserve to exist.

Team "Europe" doesn't represent Europe because a) there are nations like Switzerland and Norway who are represented in this team, who have chosen not to be part of what everyone identifies as "Europe" these days, ie the European Union... b) there are other European nations not represented by team Europe such as Sweden, Finland, Czech Republic... c) no one in Europe has any interest, nor pride in this team created by the NHL.

It is basically the private Frankenstein of Bettman & co...

Last edited:

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Nothing wrong with team Europe, none of these countries can ice a full team, so good for them for coming together. All I see here is a lot of whining from people who are mad that USA and Sweden stunk so bad. The Russians looked respectable at least.

This is so much BS, it isn't even funny. I guess all those nations at the Olympics were Finns and Swedes in disguise uh? I must have dreamed of Switzerland beating the best Canada could field in Turin 06 and only be beaten in a shoot out in Vancouver 10. Such an arrogant statement.

PapaQ

Jun 18, 2010
This is so much BS, it isn't even funny. I guess all those nations at the Olympics were Finns and Swedes in disguise uh? I must have dreamed of Switzerland beating the best Canada could field in Turin 06 and only be beaten in a shoot out in Vancouver 10. Such an arrogant statement.

Well, not full teams of NHL players anyway. They don't want non-NHL players participating in this tournament.

Smur

Apr 4, 2013
Team "Europe" doesn't represent Europe because a) there are nations like Switzerland and Norway who are represented in this team, who have chosen not to be part of what everyone identifies as "Europe" these days, ie the European Union...

I lolled :handclap:

Im pretty sure "everyone" doesn't share the same view as you do. Smart countries stay away from EU membership, we don`t want to be identified with EU

rogu

Apr 12, 2005
Helsinki, Finland
Team Europe, where to begin. To me it is like poetry. During a time when nationalistic self centered thinking is once again lifting its head around the world, we have a team composed of players from 8 nations fighting for the gold at the World Cup. Fighting in unison, fighting as a team. To me it is more than hockey, it is beautiful, it is like John Lennon's words from Imagine coming true.

To me, they have accomplished more than any other team in this tourney, regardless of the result in the final.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Team Europe, where to begin. To me it is like poetry. During a time when nationalistic self centered thinking is once again lifting its head around the world, we have a team composed of players from 8 nations fighting for the gold at the World Cup. Fighting in unison, fighting as a team. To me it is more than hockey, it is beautiful, it is like John Lennon's words from Imagine coming true.

To me, they have accomplished more than any other team in this tourney, regardless of the result in the final.

Yes, nowhere else can we see players from different countries play on the same team for a common goal. It is a bold new concept for sure.

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
The only beauty with this final is the fact that no one will be watching and it will be a ratings disaster, which hopefully means that this is the first and the last time we see a gimmicky tournament with gimmicky teams.

I'm choosing not to buy tickets (the arena is 30 minutes from my house) but I'll be watching the game anyway. Well for the most part that is..... You see I'll be flipping between hockey and the huge Jays series against Baltimore starting tonight. Picture in picture on my 52" 4K tv work great! :yo:

rogu

Apr 12, 2005
Helsinki, Finland
Yes, nowhere else can we see players from different countries play on the same team for a common goal. It is a bold new concept for sure.

Well yeah, you are correct sir. Don't spoil the moment. Maybe I let my sentimental side get the better of me, but this is still a nation vs nation thing so it is a little different.
....a question, why did everybody count Team Europe out before the tournament? They have a lot of cup winners on that roster. I heard people saying, they won't care, they won't fight for a common goal.
Truth be told, I don't know if they really have been fighting or just cruising.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Well yeah, you are correct sir. Don't spoil the moment. Maybe I let my sentimental side get the better of me, but this is still a nation vs nation thing so it is a little different.

It is not nation vs nation though, as the final of this tournament humourously indicates.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
I lolled :handclap:

Im pretty sure "everyone" doesn't share the same view as you do. Smart countries stay away from EU membership, we don`t want to be identified with EU

Where did you think that I advocated for anyone to join the EU? Swiss are extremely happy being out.

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
I'm choosing not to buy tickets (the arena is 30 minutes from my house) but I'll be watching the game anyway. Well for the most part that is..... You see I'll be flipping between hockey and the huge Jays series against Baltimore starting tonight. Picture in picture on my 52" 4K tv work great! :yo:

That probably has a lot to do with lowered interest in the WC honestly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad