World Cup: The Beauty of Team Europe vs Team Canada.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Oh man, I hope Europe wins. Would be a total slap in the face for the NHL and their money grab gimmick tournament.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
As others mentioned, Bellemare has been a crucial player for them. Hes on the ice in every important defensive scenario and has played well offensively too. He really brings it on the international stage. Hes playing way above his level he brought in Philadelphia the past 2 seasons.

I will agree with everything except for playing above the level he normally plays for Philly. He plays crucial minutes for them too and plays them well. He actually has more offense to his game than he is given credit for - One of France's best ever.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Given the thesis of the article, wouldn't Team Europe vs. Team North America have been better than the best outcome?

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
"Gimmick team", "stupid idea", "not a real tournament"... WTF? You act as if we asked for this. We wanted our own teams in a tournament called "World Cup", we were not allowed to. Most of you defended that decision by saying that this format truly ensures a "best on best" tournament. And now that the midget team keeps eliminating everyone, suddenly it is just a stupid gimmick team that has no place in an international tournament.

Make up your mind. You wanted Team Europe in this tournament, now watch Team Europe win the stupid thing! :yo:

Just wanted to let you know that the posters on the forum are not a single entity mindset. There are thousands of posters and just cuz 1 or more of them say or think something does not mean 100% of the posters agree.

Fwiw - Europe will get throttled by Canada I suspect. The game they played in the qualifying round wasn't even close. The 4-1 score made Europe look far better then they actually played. :yo:

This final also verifies what many have been saying which is that this is NOT a best on best country versus country tournament.

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
14379992_10210903467008466_878441053804578128_o.jpg

If this is implying something or taking away from Europe's achievement, keep in mind that if you added Canada + USA + Finland + Russia, Team Europe still destroys them with that point combination system. You could prob use it to say great britain + korea + one or two other nations would out rank Canada also.

JA

Given the thesis of the article, wouldn't Team Europe vs. Team North America have been better than the best outcome?
The concept of a band of underdogs confronting the king is powerful. Team Canada is the greatest challenge for any international team to overcome -- it would be the crowning achievement to defeat them -- and for a group of players from less-successful hockey countries to have earned their position in the Final, and then potentially claim victory against Canada would be an incredible example of achievement through collaboration and fellowship. Without one another, they stand no chance against those that dominate the sport internationally. Together, they have defied all expectations.

Team North America's success would have been far less significant, as that team consisted of players from two of the top hockey nations, including the very best. That team was also one of the favorites to succeed. While that team was youthful, it had far less of an uphill climb than Team Europe. The circumstances are entirely different. To have Team North America in the Final would also have deprived Team Europe of the opportunity to face Team Canada. Team Europe's success is symbolic, and to be in this position is already rather remarkable.

Last edited by a moderator:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Very strange way to look at it. I see the weakest teams being joined together into a frankenstein team in order to cram as many recognizable players as possible into the tournament. It's as nice an underdog story as if the NHL took the best players from the worst teams, threw them into the playoffs and the team went on to make the Stanley Cup final. It's not an underdog team so much as a low end all star team.

All that said, I do hope that the European Leftovers win. Seeing a gimmick team win this tournament would be the most fitting end, though very unlikely, to this farcical event.

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site
The beauty is we finally get a meaningful matchup of Price vs. Halak.

I'm going for Team Europe. This is a boring tournament, and a Team Europe win is the only thing that will make it interesting.

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
With the defeat of Team Sweden this afternoon, Team Europe has advanced to face Team Canada at the 2016 World Cup Final. While some spectators naturally look on with cynicism, I think that this match up is the best possible outcome for the event.

In a tournament known as the World Cup, we have nine countries being represented in the Final, eight of which have been belittled at every international tournament by the world's strongest hockey nations. The World Cup has brought these countries together in a way that was never imaginable before.

What makes it so fascinating is that all of these countries that have conventionally been deemed the "underdogs" now have a chance to unite against the top-ranked powerhouse country, Canada, and potentially accomplish a feat that they would never have been able to do alone. This would be the ultimate tale of vengeance for them to be able to take down the country that generally crushes them at every encounter.

Eight countries that, on their own have no chance, are now united to face Canada and potentially take down the king of hockey. Even after being assembled as a group, they were laughed at and mocked, considered by many to be incapable of accomplishing anything during the tournament. By embracing one another and encapsulating the spirit of good will beaten nations, however, they have shocked the hockey world. They have beaten the odds and now, together, have a chance to dethrone the top nation in hockey.

"Seven Nation Army" is their goal song, although eight stand in harmony as their fans cheer as one; this alliance of eight flags gives them their greatest ever opportunity for revenge. This is the story of the little guys working together to take down the king.

Team Europe has proven to be a much-needed beacon of comradery and a symbol of the cosmopolitan community; putting aside their differences and understanding that more can be accomplished together than alone, countries may humble themselves and be as kin. This is one of those rare instances in international sports. This group has triumphed above all expectations.

No matter how this three-game international series unfolds, it should be remembered as the time the underdogs banded together to achieve the unthinkable, including potentially defeating the team that nobody else could. For that, this is an historic moment in hockey -- the time that those countries that receive no respect as hockey nations came together to spite their naysayers, defeat their most fearsome nemeses, and possibly win it all.

Or maybe they'll just get their butts kicked :popcorn:

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Even as a Canadian I wouldn't mind seeing Europe win... which shows this tournament has no heart.

Also if Team Europe wins, don't they HAVE to repeat the team in the next WC? You can't have the winners blink in and out of existence.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
After reading all about how Team Europe's players don't have anything to play for, since there is no common European identity, and how they'll be outmatched against an equally talented team who want to be heroes back home, it's quite amusing to see Team Europe advance to the finals.

But, but...muh patriotism! Please. No one likes to lose, everyone likes to win. Team Europe came to play.

TheBigThree

Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I've been cheering for Europe since day one but there was no way in hell I expected this result. Really hope Europe wins one game just so they remember it forever. Canada can just blow them out in the other 2 though.

TheBigThree

Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Even as a Canadian I wouldn't mind seeing Europe win... which shows this tournament has no heart.

Also if Team Europe wins, don't they HAVE to repeat the team in the next WC? You can't have the winners blink in and out of existence.

Yup, you're Canadian with that german flag under your avatar.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
As others mentioned, Bellemare has been a crucial player for them. Hes on the ice in every important defensive scenario and has played well offensively too. He really brings it on the international stage. Hes playing way above his level he brought in Philadelphia the past 2 seasons.

Yep that's what I noticed as well. He might be a top6 solution for the Flyers now. Proved to be a solid 2-way player who can bring some nice offense.

On the Flyers he didn't look as good. Management might give him a real chance now.

Aug 3, 2010
Yup, you're Canadian with that german flag under your avatar.

God forbid a nation of immigrants display their ancestral cultural heritage in any way, shape, or form. Red and White make right, yeah?

Anyways - As a Canadian, as much as I'd like and expect Canada to win, I wouldn't mind watching Europe overcome. It makes for a good story, and I'm not a huge fan of the "World Cup" format though I can't deny there has been some entertaining hockey. My issue lies mostly with the epithet used vs the nature of the tournament's format.

Also, I'm morbidly curious as to what they'll do anthem-wise if Europe wins. 8 national songs, 8 flags-a-raisin'? Sign me up. :laugh:

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
I wonder if Ovie wins a car in this event or how many of the players are in terrible hangover.

It s like an allstar game where the players actually might try.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Oh man, I hope Europe wins. Would be a total slap in the face for the NHL and their money grab gimmick tournament.

How is a gimmick team winning a gimmick tournament a slap in the face? Part of the reason they put Team Europe together was so that another team besides Canada had a shot at winning.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Team Canada is a gimmick team as well: no McDavid, or Ekblad, because they're too young?:nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad