World Cup: The Beauty of Team Europe vs Team Canada.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
classic? how many times Sweden played Canada in the finals?

There's been a lot of cool historical Canada vs Sweden high intensity matchups. I'd rather see any of Canada vs Sweden/Russia/USA/Finland over a Euro leftovers Team.

So Stupid.:help:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Sounds like the dead arena, complete with empty seats, missed out on the beauty of Canada vs European Leftovers. Their loss I guess.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Screw the ratings.

All my sympathy goes to Team Europe. A terrible idea that somehow blossomed into a second best team of the tournament. I really wish I were a fly on the wall in their dressing room, seeing what kind of interactions go on between the players from countries so different. Kruger surely is a great coach and a great motivator.

I only wish the evil stepmother wasn't so powerful in this fairy tale.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I am not watching it(the final series). And that's a bad sign for a proclaimed best on best tournament. Yes, I am not watching it, because it's Team Whatever.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Sounds like the dead arena, complete with empty seats, missed out on the beauty of Canada vs European Leftovers. Their loss I guess.

Was it not sold out for Game 1? If so, that's awful.

Okay look, as a Canadian I am glad we won, even if we didn't play our best (probably our worst) game of the tournament. However a few things have bothered me about this tournament. The whole thing is in Toronto. Prior Canada/World Cups weren't like this. I'm sorry, but the ACC is NOT a rocking, rollicking joint to watch a hockey game. Maple Leaf Gardens, now that was, but the ACC has been a poor replacement for someone seeking great atmosphere. I know I can feel it, or can't feel it, I wonder if others feel the same way. I hate to say it, but the crowd would at least be more electric at the Bell Centre in Montreal. Who remembers Hamilton in 1987? That was great atmosphere. The fans just aren't into it here.

Secondly, this was the first game where Canada played a sluggish game. Here is my complaint. Can anyone on their team show any emotion? How about hatred for your opponent? How about throwing a thundering check to wake your team up, or dropping the mitts? Past tournaments have been like this. Look at 1996, Canada and USA hated each other by the end. Where is the passion from the players? Where is the hunger? It isn't as if this was a 6-0 game, the Europeans were right in it up until the end. It was close.

Anyway, I hope the NHL and NHLPA are watching because this is a poor showcase for the game.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Was it not sold out for Game 1? If so, that's awful.

Apparently all the tickets were sold. There were plenty on the secondary market still available though, and here is a picture during the game...

You can have a look at the fan centre outside too...

Okay look, as a Canadian I am glad we won, even if we didn't play our best (probably our worst) game of the tournament. However a few things have bothered me about this tournament. The whole thing is in Toronto. Prior Canada/World Cups weren't like this. I'm sorry, but the ACC is NOT a rocking, rollicking joint to watch a hockey game. Maple Leaf Gardens, now that was, but the ACC has been a poor replacement for someone seeking great atmosphere. I know I can feel it, or can't feel it, I wonder if others feel the same way. I hate to say it, but the crowd would at least be more electric at the Bell Centre in Montreal. Who remembers Hamilton in 1987? That was great atmosphere. The fans just aren't into it here.

Secondly, this was the first game where Canada played a sluggish game. Here is my complaint. Can anyone on their team show any emotion? How about hatred for your opponent? How about throwing a thundering check to wake your team up, or dropping the mitts? Past tournaments have been like this. Look at 1996, Canada and USA hated each other by the end. Where is the passion from the players? Where is the hunger? It isn't as if this was a 6-0 game, the Europeans were right in it up until the end. It was close.

Anyway, I hope the NHL and NHLPA are watching because this is a poor showcase for the game.

Regarding passion, in addition to the seemingly disinterested fans, Stamkos offered some insights...

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/empty-seats-subdued-crowd-in-canada-world-cup-win-050011289.html

Key part: Hence, they’re not Russia nor the United States when it comes to fan support, or in their ability to get the juices pumping for the Canadian players.

“It’s tough just because there’s not that natural rivalry here. In some of the other games, we had away fans that were creating some noise. This was probably the team that had the least amount of support, just because of the makeup of the team in the tournament to start with,†said Canada’s Steven Stamkos.

Captain And Coke

Apr 29, 2011
Screw the ratings.

All my sympathy goes to Team Europe. A terrible idea that somehow blossomed into a second best team of the tournament. I really wish I were a fly on the wall in their dressing room, seeing what kind of interactions go on between the players from countries so different. Kruger surely is a great coach and a great motivator.

I only wish the evil stepmother wasn't so powerful in this fairy tale.

The country that supposedly needs to politely ask permission to be evil, and would say sorry for being so, is actually evil? Say it isn't so! :laugh:

Kidding aside, I have to agree. I would definitely like to see some kind of behind the scenes documentary about this team. If there's been a team lately in the game that would at least warrant that kind of look, it would be this one in my opinion.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Oh well. So it won't go down in the annals of classic hockey lore, largely because Canada, at this time, has separated from the pack.

It is what it is; a fun, but somewhat meaningless, men's hockey tournament.

Just a good ol' men's hockey tourney!! Should have had a Saturday nite hall dance. ( how I miss those days of going to tournaments and the Saturday nite 'Social'.)

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Apparently all the tickets were sold. There were plenty on the secondary market still available though, and here is a picture during the game...

You can have a look at the fan centre outside too...

Regarding passion, in addition to the seemingly disinterested fans, Stamkos offered some insights...

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/empty-seats-subdued-crowd-in-canada-world-cup-win-050011289.html

Key part: Hence, they’re not Russia nor the United States when it comes to fan support, or in their ability to get the juices pumping for the Canadian players.

“It’s tough just because there’s not that natural rivalry here. In some of the other games, we had away fans that were creating some noise. This was probably the team that had the least amount of support, just because of the makeup of the team in the tournament to start with,†said Canada’s Steven Stamkos.

I was at game 1 and it was sold out. That picture is likely from when people went to get food etc. Trust me it was packed

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I was at game 1 and it was sold out. That picture is likely from when people went to get food etc. Trust me it was packed

Multiple media members talked about the empty seats. I'm inclined to believe them. That picture also clearly takes place during game action.

JA

Oh well. So it won't go down in the annals of classic hockey lore, largely because Canada, at this time, has separated from the pack.

It is what it is; a fun, but somewhat meaningless, men's hockey tournament.

Just a good ol' men's hockey tourney!! Should have had a Saturday nite hall dance. ( how I miss those days of going to tournaments and the Saturday nite 'Social'.)
Europe made a very valiant effort. They created doubts about Canada after Game 1 and nearly won tonight's game.

Canada always seems to have the storybook endings. Europe had Canada's number until the Kopitar penalty with three minutes left to give Canada the eventual tying goal. Then, Josi's point shot rattled off the post to keep the game tied 1-1 with one minute remaining in the third period. Based on play alone and the sheer number of chances that they generated, Europe should have won tonight to tie the series. It didn't happen. They choked in the final three minutes.

The final few minutes were gut-wrenching after the skillful, strategic game that Team Europe played today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad