Player Discussion The Bad Granlund Phenomenon Part 4 (mod warning post #393)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Yep, guess I was wrong....you guys should try admitting that...oh well, how will I ever continue heh. Wish I wasn't wrong however. The glories some of you take with this is rather sad and revealing.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Yep, guess I was wrong....you guys should try admitting that...oh well, how will I ever continue heh. Wish I wasn't wrong however. The glories some of you take with this is rather sad and revealing.

I would guess every single one of his critics here would have loved to eat crow had Granlund turned into the second coming of Gretzky. However, it was fairly obvious right from the get go that his production last year was an outlier when he benefited from a crazy shooting percentage, favorable deployment and icetime. That some bunch of internet nerds, armchair GMs or whatever you want to call the majority here was able to tell then while management compared him to Bergeron when he was acquired should make you think. This has nothing to do with taking glory but rather another sad evidence how clueless the guys in charge are.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
yes all that Crazy favorable deployment with Sutter and Eriksson and 2nd line PP. Of course he's gonna score 20 goals. That's just how it works everyone knows that.

And of course Management is to blame for his fall to the expected..... losing Shinkaruk is killing us and as we all could see Eriksson the 6million dollar man was of course smashing 20 plus with the same deployment?

oh well Gaunce Dowd and Chaput should get us 20 each next year with his ice time. Looking forward to that.

Reactions: Numba9 and Nomobo

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
yes all that Crazy favorable deployment with Sutter and Eriksson and 2nd line PP. Of course he's gonna score 20 goals. That's just how it works everyone knows that.

And of course Management is to blame for his fall to the expected..... losing Shinkaruk is killing us and as we all could see Eriksson the 6million dollar man was of course smashing 20 plus with the same deployment?

oh well Gaunce Dowd and Chaput should get us 20 each next year with his ice time. Looking forward to that.

Fantastic post

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
It's bizarre that the people who like Granlund reference his "20 goal season", or refer to him as a "20 goal scorer".

Despite not having scored 20 goals ever in his career.

Reactions: Hit the post and PM

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I completely forgot this guy was still on our team. He’s another player along with Baertschi that needs to stay healthy and score 40 points next year or he should be finished.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
10 months and 1000+ posts later and yet Granlund still sucks.
Yep...and Shinkaruk sucks even worse....turns out it was a 'nothing' trade involving two underachieving prospects at the time....I can't understand how this is worth a 1,000 posts either.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
I don't have much use for Granlund, just kind of meh. He had shown signs of being a useful versatile spot-filler in the lineup. I do not see a spot for him on the wings, just too many options. Down the middle I am scared. Horvat and Sutter are the only two centres are set. Both fill their roles fine (Sutter contract withstanding).

After Horvat and Sutter, centre ice gets a little sketchy. Nothing in the system that I would be comfortable as 2nd line centre behind Horvat. Petterson is more than likey a RWer to me. I think the team has Gaunce as a winger. Even if moving him to centre and loose his boardwork, I still see value in him being a safe there. Just don't see it happening.

With the 2nd line centre position open, I have Gaudette, Ganger and Granlund fighting for those spots. Dues to contracts, waiver status and 'depth' on the wings, Ganger is all but guaranteed a spot.

I think it comes down to Granlund fighting Gaudette for the 4th centre spot or Archibald/Motto for the 13th forward.

Depends dollars on a one year deal, I guess I retain Granlund for depth with the notion of willing to loose him on waivers if something better comes along. At a cap hit that can be buried in the A, he can still serve a purpose as spot-filler.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He shouldn't be qualified. End of story.

The guy was a bottom-6 forward who was awful through the first 50 games before getting hurt - terrible production, a slow, soft ghost who was invisible almost every night.

After getting hurt, his exact roster spot next to Sutter was filled by Darren Archibald - a $600k minor-leaguer - and his replacement scored at a higher ES rate, generated identical PK and defensive results, and provided size and a physical game that the team badly needed.

When you're a bottom-6 player and you lose your job decisively to a guy like Archibald ... you're gone. Especially on a team this bad with so few contracts expiring and a need to turn the roster over.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
He shouldn't be qualified. End of story.

The guy was a bottom-6 forward who was awful through the first 50 games before getting hurt - terrible production, a slow, soft ghost who was invisible almost every night.

After getting hurt, his exact roster spot next to Sutter was filled by Darren Archibald - a $600k minor-leaguer - and his replacement scored at a higher ES rate, generated identical PK and defensive results, and provided size and a physical game that the team badly needed.

When you're a bottom-6 player and you lose your job decisively to a guy like Archibald ... you're gone. Especially on a team this bad with so few contracts expiring and a need to turn the roster over.

This should all go without saying.

It's hilarious and adorable that we want to bring the band back together after last year's terrible season though. I'm sure last year's roster minus the Sedins and Vanek will be a contender.

Reactions: PM and MS

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Could we get a pick for his rights?

I highly doubt it. Replacement level players don't return draft picks when they're about to hit free agency.

It'll be really interesting to see if the tone changes if the Canucks don't qualify Granlund. He'll no longer be in the Canucks organization while Shinkaruk is still in the Flames organization. Granted I think we all agree that Shinkaruk is a bust, I still maintain my position that you don't trade assets for players like Markus Granlund.

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
At the top of his development arc, Granlund could still develop into our own version of Calle Jarnkrok; as Benning says though, this next step is all up to him. He is a very smart player with a good shot, and decent foot speed. He needs to execute his passes more quickly and deliberately, as well as upping his general pace around the ice, while playing more desperate hockey. I still believe in him, and enjoy watching his game as a young Canuck trying to find his way.

At the very least, he is an NHL player whose presence will make for a competitive camp. He will be a nice gatekeeper for the Gaudettes and Mottes looking to break into the league.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This should all go without saying.

It's hilarious and adorable that we want to bring the band back together after last year's terrible season though. I'm sure last year's roster minus the Sedins and Vanek will be a contender.

It's absolutely bizarre how attached people get to these replacement-level players. Literally half the roster could be cut loose tomorrow and replaced by prospects and cheap UFA signings and we'd be losing nothing.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
I'm just going to say something I have said before.

We do not moderate opinions as long as they do not violate HFBoards rules. You can be negative or positive about the direction the Canucks are going in - your opinion will be allowed to stand. We are not in the business of directing this board to hold a certain opinion one way or another. We also will not bow to any pressure based on what is posted on other online forums.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
I highly doubt it. Replacement level players don't return draft picks when they're about to hit free agency.

It'll be really interesting to see if the tone changes if the Canucks don't qualify Granlund. He'll no longer be in the Canucks organization while Shinkaruk is still in the Flames organization. Granted I think we all agree that Shinkaruk is a bust, I still maintain my position that you don't trade assets for players like Markus Granlund.

RFA though, I wouldn’t be surprised if a team like Montreal threw a 7th for his rights maybe?

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
They could sign a better player in free agency and keep the pick. Still, lots of dumb GMs in sports so it could happen but it would require our GM to outsmart them which I wouldn’t bank on. I’m not sure Benning would even want to get rid of him though.

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
They could sign a better player in free agency and keep the pick. Still, lots of dumb GMs in sports so it could happen but it would require our GM to outsmart them which I wouldn’t bank on. I’m not sure Benning would even want to get rid of him though.
Who would you sign in free agency?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks will qualify him, but lose him to Seattle in the expansion draft.....and knowing the Canucks luck, he'll probably score 20 goals for that new team down I-5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad