News Article: The Athletic writers rank Bell MTS Place as 4th best arena in the league

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Yeah, gonna have to disagree with you on Vancouver.

-Space, for sure.

-Amenities, that’s a wash. Rogers does have that neat bar/grill/sushi setup in the one end. Nothing else noteworthy as far as other concessions, washrooms, etc. They don’t even have cup holders there, FFS! This is lower bowl I’m talking.

-Finishings? Guessing you haven’t been to Bell MTS in awhile. Rogers is starting to show its age, most of their arena stinks of the 90s.

Chicago without question is nicer. Vegas? That’s not really a fair comparison lol.

Yeah, to be honest Vancover was a bad example - I haven't been there in like 10 years

I'd add Tampa - older building but big, beautiful, and lots of great amenities

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Vegas was #1.
These writers can't have any credibility.

F**k Vegas!
Vegas has been my favorite so far and I hate to admit it. Nashville was a close second. Two teams I hate, but two suprisingly awesome fan bases and great, quirky traditions.

Reactions: ps241

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Vegas has been my favorite so far and I hate to admit it. Nashville was a close second. Two teams I hate, but two suprisingly awesome fan bases and great, quirky traditions.

Everything Vegas is fake. Their theatrics are intolerable, IMO. If you find it entertaining that's OK, but I will continue to dislike it.

Then of course, there is the fact that they are the Vegas Golden Knights. Couldn't even use the actual name of the city, had to borrow the name from a parachute stunt team. And, as an organization, they are an asshole.

F**k everything Vegas.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Everything Vegas is fake. Their theatrics are intolerable, IMO. If you find it entertaining that's OK, but I will continue to dislike it.

Then of course, there is the fact that they are the Vegas Golden Knights. Couldn't even use the actual name of the city, had to borrow the name from a parachute stunt team. And, as an organization, they are an asshole.

F**k everything Vegas.

100% truth.

maybe it's a nice building...but my god that BS playoff thing with the "night" running around on the ice chasing lights, an insult to the sport.

it's every thing cheap and fake and gross about BS 'Murica culture. with any luck that team will die quickly and move to QC

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
I have been to the following rinks

Vancouver
Calgary
Edmonton - old rink
Winnipeg
Toronto - Gardens and Air Canada
Montreal - Bell Center
Ottawa
Chicago - New arena
Minnesota - Target
Buffalo - Aud not new
Dallas
Florida
Tampa Bay

The only place I liked better was Montreal

ive been to a similar selection
Frequented the Alberta rinks a lot when I lived there, more than MTS

I don’t understand the minor league comment. It’s smaller but it’s a very comparable atmosphere to many other nhl rinks, and the seats are way nicer all around than what you find at the saddledome haha

I also concur, Montreal’s been the only city where the experience of the venue is better

haven’t been to new rink in Edmonton yet though. It’s too orange for me lol

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
I've been to the nashville one twice. Both were great experiences all around.

Reactions: Jet

Section 325

Nov 5, 2014
Calgary, AB
I've been to the following arenas:

Winnipeg - Bell MTS Place
Minnesota - XCEL Energy Center
St. Louis - Enterprise Center
Chicago - United Center
Dallas - American Airlines Center
Ottawa - Canadian Tire Centre
Montréal - Bell Centre
San Jose - HP Pavilion
Los Angeles - Staples Center
Anaheim - Honda Center
Las Vegas - T-Mobile Arena
Phoenix - Gila River Arena

The only arenas that had "good" atmospheres were Winnipeg, Minnesota, Chicago, St. Louis, Montréal, San Jose, and Vegas.
The only arenas that had a "great" atmospheres were Winnipeg, St. Louis, Montréal, and San Jose
Montréal and Winnipeg were by far the loudest and most engaged crowds.
Dallas, Ottawa, and Los Angeles were very, very quiet and generally unenthusiastic about everything.

The nicest arena in terms of comfort and amenities was Phoenix. They had great sightlines, comfortable seats, good food, and you could still see the play from the concourse. There is a whole entertainment area called Westgate right outside of the building, too. It's a shame that more people don't go. Vegas was good in this regard too, but I refuse to give that franchise credit for anything.

The worst arena was either Anaheim or Chicago. In Anaheim, despite the arena being absolutely gorgeous, the seats were rock hard, extremely close together, and very worn; think of the Towne 8 Cinema (c. 1995) and you would be getting close. The usher approached us and told us not to put our drinks into the cup holders because they suddenly fall off without warning. It later happened.

Chicago was the same where the seats were worn, hard, and extremely crammed to point where I almost didn't fit (6' 1" 215 pounds). My legs fell asleep each period and I dreaded returning to my seat after the intermission. The food was terrible where they were literally serving DiGiorno pizzas out of the box. The fans clearly knew nothing about hockey, either. The Blackhawks would get a penalty, the whistle would blow, and nobody had any idea at all what was going on. You would hear, "why'd they blow the whistle?" "It was offside". Then they announced the penalty and everybody booed like they had a Blue's Clue.

I think that people here are giving Bell MTS Place a bad rap and don't appreciate all the really good things about it. Knowledgeable fans, good food, good sightlines, and a great atmosphere. Maybe that's just a Winnipeg thing?

Section 325

Nov 5, 2014
Calgary, AB

Chicago - United Center
Montréal - Bell Centre
San Jose - HP Pavilion
Anaheim - Honda Center

The only arenas that had "good" atmospheres were Winnipeg, Minnesota, Chicago, St. Louis, Montréal, San Jose, and Vegas.
The only arenas that had a "great" atmospheres were Winnipeg, St. Louis, Montréal, and San Jose
Dallas, Ottawa, and Los Angeles were very, very quiet and generally unenthusiastic about everything.

The nicest arena in terms of comfort and amenities was Phoenix. They had great sightlines, comfortable seats, good food, and you could still see the play from the concourse. There is a whole entertainment area called Westgate right outside of the building, too. It's a shame that more people don't go. Vegas was good in this regard too, but I refuse to give that franchise credit for anything.

The worst arena was either Anaheim or Chicago. In Anaheim, despite the arena being absolutely gorgeous, the seats were rock hard, extremely close together, and very worn; think of the Towne 8 Cinema (c. 1995) and you would be getting close. The usher approached us and told us not to put our drinks into the cup holders because they suddenly fall off without warning. It later happened.

Chicago was the same where the seats were worn, hard, and extremely crammed to point where I almost didn't fit (6' 1" 215 pounds). My legs fell asleep each period and I dreaded returning to my seat after the intermission. The food was terrible where they were literally serving DiGiorno pizzas out of the box. The fans clearly knew nothing about hockey, either. The Blackhawks would get a penalty, the whistle would blow, and nobody had any idea at all what was going on. You would hear, "why'd they blow the whistle?" "It was offside". Then they announced the penalty and everybody booed like they had a Blue's Clue.

I think that people here are giving Bell MTS Place a bad rap and don't appreciate all the really good things about it. Knowledgeable fans, good food, good sightlines, and a great atmosphere. Maybe that's just a Winnipeg thing?

Our goal is to see the Jets play in every other NHL arena. We had tickets to see them play in Edmonton and Calgary in March of this year but cancelled that at the last second because of COVID-19.

Reactions: ps241

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO

Chicago - United Center
Montréal - Bell Centre
San Jose - HP Pavilion
Anaheim - Honda Center

I’m going off second hand descriptions here (from family), but I’ve heard the same thing about Anaheim. Marble floor concourses look nice, but it’s not exactly the most functional choice. Also I’ve heard it’s in the dumpiest location possible, picture a rink out by Inkster industrial park is what I’m told.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Chicago - United Center
Montréal - Bell Centre
San Jose - HP Pavilion
Anaheim - Honda Center

I think Phoenix would have much better attendance if the arena were anywhere close to the major population base in the city itself. Location matters - we see Ottawa having problems with their arena being out in the middle of nowhere and hockey is big in Canada. Arizona has issues with the popularity of hockey compounded by the location of the arena.

I’m going off second hand descriptions here (from family), but I’ve heard the same thing about Anaheim. Marble floor concourses look nice, but it’s not exactly the most functional choice. Also I’ve heard it’s in the dumpiest location possible, picture a rink out by Inkster industrial park is what I’m told.

Well, I've read Anaheim described as "Disneyland and convention centres" so I think the whole town is similar to an industrial park.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

metallion1976

Jul 7, 2015
Before Jets came back I thought MTS was average or below average at best. I’ll admit they’ve done more with that area than I would have ever imagined and it’s significantly better now than it ever has been, but it’s still average for me.

I’ve been to Edm, Cgy, Minny, Tor, Mont, Nash and a few others. Montreal probably being the best although Nashville was quite nice as well.

many great things at mts and all that and it’s better now for sure but still lacks in many areas...

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Before Jets came back I thought MTS was average or below average at best. I’ll admit they’ve done more with that area than I would have ever imagined and it’s significantly better now than it ever has been, but it’s still average for me.

I’ve been to Edm, Cgy, Minny, Tor, Mont, Nash and a few others. Montreal probably being the best although Nashville was quite nice as well.

many great things at mts and all that and it’s better now for sure but still lacks in many areas...

Well, adding the loges was certainly a big improvement. ;)

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

F**k everything Vegas.
OK Boomer :sarcasm:

Seriously, though - this is an expected traditionalist response, and one that I shared for the longest time. Things change, new fan bases bring new traditions - and it's common for old school fans to rail against it.

Not to get political, but it's similar to how people react to new cultures coming to a place with existing set of cultural norms and either adapting them or bringing their own cultures forward.

It's a lot like Don Cherry. He spent his career bashing hockey players who brought their own play style and hockey culture to the NHL.

The last game I went to in Vegas I thought the whole time how hokey the whole game day presentation was, but I also opened my mind up to it. I thought - 'this is SO VEGAS', and realized I WAS IN VEGAS. Once I let go of my old school views I realized I was enjoying it quite a bit.

As an aside, the Jets came back from 3-1 to win that game, and even though there were hoardes of Jets fans all around the arena gloating and chanting afterwords, the MANY Vegas fans (very well adorned with Knights gear) were far more gracious and good natured than we Jets fans are when it happens in Winnipeg. We could learn a lot from them.

Let me make it clear - I HATE the Knights, but they've done a fantastic job of finding their niche, just as Nashville and Carolina have.

Reactions: weslox and ps241

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
100% truth.

maybe it's a nice building...but my god that BS playoff thing with the "night" running around on the ice chasing lights, an insult to the sport.

it's every thing cheap and fake and gross about BS 'Murica culture. with any luck that team will die quickly and move to QC
Don't hold your breath. Vegas has already formed a very strong fanbase - you see it all around the city (we have a campus there and I've spent significant time all around).

The Knights also have the advantage as a tourist destination which will always fill their building to a certain level, but they definitely do not need it.

If you are looking for teams that could end up moving to QC (I really want this too), the Coyotes, Florida and Carolina are your best bets.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Don't hold your breath. Vegas has already formed a very strong fanbase - you see it all around the city (we have a campus there and I've spent significant time all around).

The Knights also have the advantage as a tourist destination which will always fill their building to a certain level, but they definitely do not need it.

If you are looking for teams that could end up moving to QC (I really want this too), the Coyotes, Florida and Carolina are your best bets.

Knights landed in Vegas as the 1st pro sports franchise and never underestimate first mover position. Then of coarse they dropped the puck in the wake of the Vegas Strong tragedy and couldn’t have got how they handled that more right. They also have some really great players personality wise. Then there is their miracle fist season and who doesn’t like a winner?

Even the little things like the broadcast team they assembled and the org they run. I love to hate them as a rival but that’s a good thing no? Just proves they probably got it right.

and yes “F#%K Vegas”

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
OK Boomer :sarcasm:

Seriously, though - this is an expected traditionalist response, and one that I shared for the longest time. Things change, new fan bases bring new traditions - and it's common for old school fans to rail against it.

Not to get political, but it's similar to how people react to new cultures coming to a place with existing set of cultural norms and either adapting them or bringing their own cultures forward.

It's a lot like Don Cherry. He spent his career bashing hockey players who brought their own play style and hockey culture to the NHL.

The last game I went to in Vegas I thought the whole time how hokey the whole game day presentation was, but I also opened my mind up to it. I thought - 'this is SO VEGAS', and realized I WAS IN VEGAS. Once I let go of my old school views I realized I was enjoying it quite a bit.

As an aside, the Jets came back from 3-1 to win that game, and even though there were hoardes of Jets fans all around the arena gloating and chanting afterwords, the MANY Vegas fans (very well adorned with Knights gear) were far more gracious and good natured than we Jets fans are when it happens in Winnipeg. We could learn a lot from them.

Let me make it clear - I HATE the Knights, but they've done a fantastic job of finding their niche, just as Nashville and Carolina have.

This has nothing to do with 'new vs old' or some generational thing. It is not about being open minded. Vegas has always been that way. It is a monument to bad taste and excess. You are free to enjoy it if you wish. I couldn't if I wanted to.

I think they are an embarrassment to hockey. Some people not being embarrassed by it doesn't change that.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Then there is their miracle fist season and who doesn’t like a winner?

Who doesn't like a winner? I dunno, maybe people here that lived through watching one of the great organizations in the WHA absolutely decimated as a condition of being allowed into the NHL, only to watch that same league absolutely bend over backwards to make sure their precious desert franchise was put into a position to damn near win the Cup their first season. :mad:

#f***vegas

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Who doesn't like a winner? I dunno, maybe people here that lived through watching one of the great organizations in the WHA absolutely decimated as a condition of being allowed into the NHL, only to watch that same league absolutely bend over backwards to make sure their precious desert franchise was put into a position to damn near win the Cup their first season. :mad:

#f***vegas

well I was referencing that more as in who in Vegas doesn’t like a winner in Vegas. That being said if you are dropping $500 million I think you want a decent starter kit. NHL a was never going to be nice to their rival league back in the day and yes that really sucked for the Jets. We’ll see how things work out for Seattle.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud

I don't buy it. Sure I think the most likely move to QC is Phoenix....but everything you are saying about LV was said about the 'Yotes at the beginning. a bit of success and no competition and the whole "community coming together after the mass shooting " thing really helped drive that....

BUT....Once Vegas gets football going you will see the fan base fade away. the fans will remember that they don't really give a crap about some "Canadian game" and move on to the NFL.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I don't buy it. Sure I think the most likely move to QC is Phoenix....but everything you are saying about LV was said about the 'Yotes at the beginning. a bit of success and no competition and the whole "community coming together after the mass shooting " thing really helped drive that....

BUT....Once Vegas gets football going you will see the fan base fade away. the fans will remember that they don't really give a crap about some "Canadian game" and move on to the NFL.
I disagree. Have you spent any time in Vegas? Off the strip?

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I disagree. Have you spent any time in Vegas? Off the strip?

I have friends that live in Vegas and love it. They tend to avoid the strip. Summerlin is a beautiful area.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad