News Article: The Athletic Jets Quarter-term Grades

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Article linked below. Some detailed discussion of various aspects of the team before the awarding of an average grade for the first quarter. Lots to agree/disagree with in the article, but also some reasonably balanced assessment IMO.

I've posted the opening (well under 10%) below:

TAMPA – It hasn’t always been pretty, that much is obvious for all to see.
In fact, there have been quite a few nights when elite-level goaltending has glossed over some of the deficiencies in the Winnipeg Jets’ collective game.

Going into the season, goaltending was always going to be under the microscope – especially given the turnover on the defence corps. It’s a bit of a patchwork blue line, but they’ve been battling as best they can and the Jets have tried to focus on dedicating themselves to being better as a five-man unit.

Yes, there have been breakdowns and lapses in coverage, but the Jets becoming better in their own zone was always going to be a work in progress.

The pressure was on Connor Hellebuyck to provide stability between the pipes. He’s done that and more.

Making the grade: Jets receive their positional report cards...

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Article linked below. Some detailed discussion of various aspects of the team before the awarding of an average grade for the first quarter. Lots to agree/disagree with in the article, but also some reasonably balanced assessment IMO.

I've posted the opening (well under 10%) below:

TAMPA – It hasn’t always been pretty, that much is obvious for all to see.
In fact, there have been quite a few nights when elite-level goaltending has glossed over some of the deficiencies in the Winnipeg Jets’ collective game.

Going into the season, goaltending was always going to be under the microscope – especially given the turnover on the defence corps. It’s a bit of a patchwork blue line, but they’ve been battling as best they can and the Jets have tried to focus on dedicating themselves to being better as a five-man unit.

Yes, there have been breakdowns and lapses in coverage, but the Jets becoming better in their own zone was always going to be a work in progress.

The pressure was on Connor Hellebuyck to provide stability between the pipes. He’s done that and more.

Making the grade: Jets receive their positional report cards...

Wiebe is terrible. Those grades are wack.

Reactions: Whileee

jsbarnby

Sep 4, 2018
Goalies Grade = A
Defence Grade = C+
Forwards Grade = C
Coaching/Mgmt = B-
Overall = B-

"Ultimately, this group has been difficult to define. On some outings, they’ve been overmatched and look like they could once again find themselves in a position to have a high pick in the 2020 NHL Draft.On others, they look like they could find a way to stay in the mix and sneak into a playoff spot."

Reactions: SUX2BU and JetsUK

Briscodog

May 2, 2016
I think Ken is a fine beat writer but he’s not suited for the Athletic. The Athletic’s game plan is to be opinion driven and Ken doesn’t do opinion well.

Last edited:
Reactions: wgpsensfan

SoCalJetsFan

Sponsor
Oct 5, 2015
Temecula, CA
I actually think the article is pretty good and seems like an accurate description of a team that is in the middle of the pack and have a very real chance of being above the playoff line at US Thanksgiving.

I guess for some any article that doesn’t call for PoMo to be run out of town on a rail is a problem. I think he has done a decent job given the tools he has at his disposal in the D department. How many teams would be doing well when losing so many d-men starters.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
I think Ken is a fine beat writer but he’s not suited for the Athletic. The Athletic’s game plan is to be opinion driven and Ken doesn’t do opinion well.
Yeah he's facts, figures, and fence-sitting. A subjective article seems strange for him

Reactions: wgpsensfan

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
I actually think the article is pretty good and seems like an accurate description of a team that is in the middle of the pack and have a very real chance of being above the playoff line at US Thanksgiving.

I guess for some any article that doesn’t call for PoMo to be run out of town on a rail is a problem. I think he has done a decent job given the tools he has at his disposal in the D department. How many teams would be doing well when losing so many d-men starters.
Yeah that or it's a crap take. B- for coaching with near bottom of the league special teams. C+ for D? Allowing near bottom of the league HDSC. We are doing ok because of elite goaltending. These are facts. Those grades do not support the facts.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Wiebe is terrible. Those grades are wack.
Agree. D at C+ and forwards at C is just silly. D has been really bad. Only Pionk has been half decent. Morrissey has really struggled, but hasn't had good partners.

Forwards haven't been great, but better than the D. They've been much better since Wheeler moved to 2C and 9-17-85 has been terrorizing opponents.

Reactions: Sperss1997

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad