Kings Article: The Athletic - 2022-23 LA Kings Player Performance Cards

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV

They just dropped and all are as you would expect and kind of comical for the most part. They made a typo on Edler's contract and Arvy's is a little ridiculous. Attached a lot below, here are some:

LOL.png

Edler.png

:lol:

Attachments

• LOL.png
    LOL.png
    487.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Edler.png
    Edler.png
    514.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Durzi.png
    Durzi.png
    456 KB · Views: 4
  • Doughty.png
    Doughty.png
    527.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Lizotte.PNG
    Lizotte.PNG
    428.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Byfield.png
    Byfield.png
    494 KB · Views: 3
  • Arvy.PNG
    Arvy.PNG
    483.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Vilardi.PNG
    Vilardi.PNG
    475.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Fiala.png
    Fiala.png
    491.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Kopi.PNG
    Kopi.PNG
    532.6 KB · Views: 3

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
I love these player cards, and I'm happy they're doing them again this year. I collected cards as a kid, so I'll always have a fondness for this stat format. Dom and Shayna took a lot of constructive feedback from the first iteration last year, and they're now much easier to read too. I also love the last three years of stats being included.

As for the players, I think it's a good thing that there aren't any surprises. It's harder to quantify defensive impact than offensive impact, so players like Durzi are going to be inflated versus a Roy or Anderson (though they grade out well regardless). It's pretty clear that our goaltending and team defense (especially our bottom four defense) are the team's Achilles heel(s).

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
Defensively, Roy is doing just fine…
It’s those stupid ass, newborn attempts at clearing the puck, especially behind the net that are killing us.. and that applies to the whole defensive unit.
Roy is not doing just fine defensively. He is bad offensively and defensively.

Also, his hockey IQ is very low.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Durzi's market value is 6.8M
Pacing for nearly 56 points from the blueline over an 82 game schedule.

He's Top 20 in scoring for defenseman this season while playing fewer games than most ahead of him. Lowest salary of those ahead of him is Montour at $3.5MM.

$6.8MM is kind of insane but this much scoring from the blueline isn't cheap. Hell, just 50 points regardless of position generally isn't cheap.

YAYSAY

Feb 18, 2016
Pacing for nearly 56 points from the blueline over an 82 game schedule.

He's Top 20 in scoring for defenseman this season while playing fewer games than most ahead of him. Lowest salary of those ahead of him is Montour at $3.5MM.

$6.8MM is kind of insane but this much scoring from the blueline isn't cheap. Hell, just 50 points regardless of position generally isn't cheap.
If the MLB gets a designated hitter we should be able to have a designated PP quarterback who does nothing else.

Reactions: funky

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
If the MLB gets a designated hitter we should be able to have a designated PP quarterback who does nothing else.

Most coaches do similar things like that, like TBL going on that run with Marc-Andre Bergeron
Or Car with DeAngelo last year, Dallas with Klingberg, plenty of contemporary examples of sheltering excellent offensive dmen
They don't roll those guys out on the wrong side and PK in big minutes

This is one of those things where a player's 'true' ability is hampered by chemistry and you see in D pairs more than elsewhere on the ice usually.

I always bring up Muzzin Martinez as an example, at the time Muzzin was surely a #2 and Martinez a #4-5 but they were literally league worst in goal differential because they were absolutely toxic for one another.

Roy and Durzi are opposite ends of a battery in similar ways, it's just one way in which TM gets the absolute least out of his players while him and Blake leave better options off the roster altogether.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas

No he doesn’t, he a very good defenseman who thrive in a shutdown pairing situation.
His IQ is rather good though you’d like to see him be more aggressive in his entry denials but overall he is above average and the metrics that everyone likes to point to back that up!

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Most coaches do similar things like that, like TBL going on that run with Marc-Andre Bergeron
Or Car with DeAngelo last year, Dallas with Klingberg, plenty of contemporary examples of sheltering excellent offensive dmen
They don't roll those guys out on the wrong side and PK in big minutes

This is one of those things where a player's 'true' ability is hampered by chemistry and you see in D pairs more than elsewhere on the ice usually.

I always bring up Muzzin Martinez as an example, at the time Muzzin was surely a #2 and Martinez a #4-5 but they were literally league worst in goal differential because they were absolutely toxic for one another.

Roy and Durzi are opposite ends of a battery in similar ways, it's just one way in which TM gets the absolute least out of his players while him and Blake leave better options off the roster altogether.

The eternal Durzi-Roy pairing is beyond absurd. It’s just mind boggling to me that a professional coach in the NHL puts this pairing together and thinks “yeah, I want more of that.”

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
No he doesn’t, he a very good defenseman who thrive in a shutdown pairing situation.
His IQ is rather good though you’d like to see him be more aggressive in his entry denials but overall he is above average and the metrics that everyone likes to point to back that up!
With all due respect I still believe my eyes when I evaluating Roy.

You did not change my opinion about him.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
With all due respect I still believe my eyes when I evaluating Roy.

You did not change my opinion about him.
I don’t need you to change your mind nor check your eyes..
Matt Roy is a damn good defensive Dman period! He has looked pedestrian this year playing alongside Durzi but he’s still in WOD the top defensive Dmen.
Other than the shit show pairing with Durzi where they both look like crap.. what other pairings has he looked bad in?

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
The eternal Durzi-Roy pairing is beyond absurd. It’s just mind boggling to me that a professional coach in the NHL puts this pairing together and thinks “yeah, I want more of that.”
Who was it that said people in professional sports understand professional sports?

I used to get yelled at by someone in hockeyops when I would point out that muzzin and martinez were bleeding goals despite the fact that their underlying possession metrics were solid.

This person (who was NOT a decision maker) was all in on metrics and would tell me that pointing out that pair was faulty was just fueling fan negativity towards Muzzin and it wasn't fair... or something like that. Maybe he didn't say fair.

Point is I was mad about results and that person was clinging to process.

Draw whatever comparisons and conclusions you would like from that anecdote.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad