GDT: The Annual "I've Made a Huge Mistake" Thread: Free Agent Frenzy 2015

Jerkob Slavin

Likable Jerk
Mar 8, 2012
Monroe, NC
I tend to think our attendance as a bubble team would be significantly better. MUCH better. I think the move pays for itself and at minimum provides us with a nice TDL asset this season or next.

I'd offer players but shy away from high picks (1st rounders).

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
the fan base is there and loyal and loud as ****

they just won't blindly support tire fires in the way some other fan bases do. we owe it to the Caniacs to at least ice something resembling an NHL team.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
the fan base is there and loyal and loud as ****

they just won't blindly support tire fires in the way some other fan bases do. we owe it to the Caniacs to at least ice something resembling an NHL team.

I think they will support a future NHL team though. I think some of the fan base (like us) sees what they are building, and is excited about the team in the long run Especially if Hanifin/Fleury make the roster.

The mentality that this is the start of something that is going to be good for a long time. Kind of a foreign concept to this market.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Moot point about Sharp I guess. Traded to the Stars.

Sharp and Johns for Garbutt and Daley.

Last edited:

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Makes me wonder what type of budget we have.

If that's what it cost to get Sharp, why weren't we players?

Bring in Sharp and sign Franson and then we got a decent shot of Playoffs

Because Trevor Daley is a good defenseman and the Hurricanes don't have any of those to spare?

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Low price for Sharp, but considering how EVERYBODY knew that Chicago was forced to trade him, Bowman wasn't exactly dealing from a position of strength.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Low price for Sharp, but considering how EVERYBODY knew that Chicago was forced to trade him, Bowman wasn't exactly dealing from a position of strength.

It is an interesting deal. I guess Chicago is looking at Daley as a strong opportunity for a reclamation project. I'm sure they had bids with some decent prospects involved, but if it turns out that Daley just had a down year and just needs a change of scenery, then they come out of this pretty well. If not, they still got two guys who can chip in at the NHL level when most other teams were probably only offering them one. Still, wouldn't have guessed at the Stars as trading partners. In the division, and already pretty strong up front.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
The Canes like their group.

As a STH it pisses me off that they see fit to field this sub-par group but it is a reality. I don't see any changes being made from now till camp. Perhaps the biggest upset for me is them buying out Semin simply to put some extra money in PK's pocket at the expense of the fans. Par for the course for Karmonos, cutting costs to save him some money while he tries to sell the team. All at the expense of the paying customer.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
I know we now live in a society where our attention spans are almost zero, but can't anyone around here accept the fact that maybe we have a plan for improvement next season and not this one?

I'm perfectly fine with GMRF if he has a plan for success that may extend beyond this season. I actually think it's somewhat refreshing after being subjected to JR's kneejerk ******** for so many ****ing years.

Last edited:

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Not to mention that just because two teams made a trade doesn't mean Francis missed an opportunity or didn't pay enough or whatever other comment people use when they get all pissed off for no reason.

Trades aren't set up in some kind of auction format, where the player is paraded out on stage and all the other GMs place their bids. Often, they take weeks or months of back and forth phone conversations, which leaves a WIDE variety of factors that could come into play. This, of course, means that there's so many different possibilities to explain why Patrick Sharp wasn't traded to the Canes, it's not even worth getting up in arms about.

It should be obvious, really, but considering those comments happen every time, I'm starting to think it isn't. And just for the hell of it, let's extend this to free agency signings as well.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Not to mention that just because two teams made a trade doesn't mean Francis missed an opportunity or didn't pay enough or whatever other comment people use when they get all pissed off for no reason.

Trades aren't set up in some kind of auction format, where the player is paraded out on stage and all the other GMs place their bids. Often, they take weeks or months of back and forth phone conversations, which leaves a WIDE variety of factors that could come into play. This, of course, means that there's so many different possibilities to explain why Patrick Sharp wasn't traded to the Canes, it's not even worth getting up in arms about.

It should be obvious, really, but considering those comments happen every time, I'm starting to think it isn't. And just for the hell of it, let's extend this to free agency signings as well.

It should be obvious, you are correct.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Did Sharp have a ntc? Maybe Francis was interested but he didn't want to come here? Or maybe, as was said, we are already short 1-2 nhl defenseman so couldn't meet what chi wanted? In the end, I'm glad the canes didn't give up young players or a 1st as some suggested. (Assuming that was even a viable offer). That's the epitome of JR. I really think RF wants to build this through drafting and developing. Don't start adding high priced 30+ vets at the expense of youth/high picks at this point.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I know we now live in a society where our attention spans are almost zero, but can't anyone around here accept the fact that maybe we have a plan for improvement next season and not this one?

I'm perfectly fine with GMRF if he has a plan for success that may extend beyond this season. I actually think it's somewhat refreshing after being subjected to JR's kneejerk ******** for so many ****ing years.

Ron Francis' plan, as he publicly described it soon after the season ended, involved trying to find a top 6 forward and a top 4, and ideally top pair, D for next season. That's aiming for improvement this season, as all teams should do. Sharp may have been on the pricier end, but he most definitely fits into that plan. I don't fault Francis for the fact that it didn't happen- from Chicago's PoV, I can see why they might want a guy who was very good D until recently as a guy who might return into shape over a guy who has yet to develop into that player. We couldn't offer that, and it takes two to tango. What Chicago wanted and what we had didn't align.

As for a long term strategy, no matter how many 1st overalls or high picks fall into your lap, they never win on their own. You have to build a team around them. The lets suck another year until things magically get better strategy is how the Oilers happened. Because of the utter failure of that line of thinking, this season, they have a new GM who's making lots of moves to actually try and improve the team. If you go through the draft and get 5 star players out of the deal, great! But this is hockey, and you cannot win with 5 star players. You need 18 more, those guys don't just magically appear, there's no way to improve the rest of that roster overnight.

Developing through the draft can get you some great core pieces. But it can't fill out your roster. If you want to win, you have to work every year to improve the rest of that roster, because it takes years for it to turn over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad