Winnipeg Jets 2024-25 Coaching Thread

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Former cup winners:
Babock, Quennville, Sutter(retired?), Berube, Julien(retired?), Bylsma, Hartley, Crawford, Carlyle (retired?)

IMO Quennville is the best of the lot, maybe Berube also. Not sure if Chipman would hire Q considering his Hawks involvement.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Can't see them touching Q. I don't really want Berube, he is more of the same old from a style and philosophy point of view.

If Brindamour or Cooper becomes available I think you have to go hard after them.
Yes I would be also very interested in either of those guys in bold. Ariel I'm not so sure about, but I think thats who we're getting.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
My personal interest if we cant get any of the big fish coaches would be Gardiner MacDougall. Guy does nothing but win behind the bench and just capped off a perfect season (50-0) with back to back Uni Cups and a U18 gold. Thats on top of winning over a dozen other USports national championships, a Memorial Cup, and even an MJHL championship with the OCN Blizzard so he has some connections to Manitoba. He knows exactly what it takes to build a winning culture in a locker room

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Maybe we could stay away from the recycled coach’s and find a good young coach, any suggestions?. Maybe it doesn’t matter looks like it’s the job is Arniel’s anyways

Depends on which recycled coach it is. I guess they could go unproven, but I have a hard time seeing Chevy do that given where we are in our ark. This org is pretty conservative.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
Does anyone know what Marty Johnston does?
Something "very interesting" I bet...

giphy (8).gif

TommyKillian

Dec 12, 2013
I wouldn't underestimate the pressure poor ticket sales and some bad publicity has put on TNSE. Smart business men learn from their mistakes and always adapt and improve. It's one of the only ways to maintain success, and I expect Chipman to adapt appropriately. I have no doubt he badly wants to win a Cup and have lots of playoff success. It seems some people underestimate how competitive he is.

The choice of coach will hopefully reflect what the organization learned over the past two years. Ultimately, I think it will come down to philosophy. 1. Does Chipman/Chevy think that the reason we stalled out in the first round is because our players simply didn't execute a hard-core D-first mentality well enough, OR 2. Is it because we haven't been flexible enough both in our integration of youth and our playoff adjustments?

If it's the first, then I could see us hiring a Berube-type. If it is the second, then hopefully we can find the next Cooper/Brind'Amour, who must be seen as the ideal to most fans. I think we need the second: a guy that can trust youth and generates buy in. Seeing what DeBoer has done in Dallas touches that ideal too.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I wouldn't underestimate the pressure poor ticket sales and some bad publicity has put on TNSE. Smart business men learn from their mistakes and always adapt and improve. It's one of the only ways to maintain success, and I expect Chipman to adapt appropriately. I have no doubt he badly wants to win a Cup and have lots of playoff success. It seems some people underestimate how competitive he is.

The choice of coach will hopefully reflect what the organization learned over the past two years. Ultimately, I think it will come down to philosophy. 1. Does Chipman/Chevy think that the reason we stalled out in the first round is because our players simply didn't execute a hard-core D-first mentality well enough, OR 2. Is it because we haven't been flexible enough both in our integration of youth and our playoff adjustments?

If it's the first, then I could see us hiring a Berube-type. If it is the second, then hopefully we can find the next Cooper/Brind'Amour, who must be seen as the ideal to most fans. I think we need the second: a guy that can trust youth and generates buy in. Seeing what DeBoer has done in Dallas touches that ideal too.

Good post. I also think a big name successful coach also helps sell excitement and thus tickets along with putting the team in the best spot to win.

Can you imagine if they were able to land Cooper if he became available.

It will be very interesting if they double down on the trying to fit the roster to a predetermined scheme or if they elect to bring in someone to fit the scheme to the roster for once.

Nov 24, 2006
I 100% believe it is going to be Scott Arniel. Didn't TNSE hire him before Bowness? And while they were still courting Trotz?

Whether it's him or someone else, I just want the new coach to not be afraid to have three to four balanced lines all capable of scoring, and injecting youth into meaningful positions.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
I hope that ownership stays out of the selection process except for giving the final stamp of approval. We don’t need a Jets alumni as a coach or a serial BS’er for positive PR. We need a youngish hockey guy with a proven record and someone who isn’t limited by the group think of older hockey guys. I know I will get flamed for this but I love the way Patrick Roy coaches. He might not X and O you to death but his team would walk over hot coals for him. MSL is similar. Love those coaches.

jiho

Apr 30, 2012
I would prefer a new staff Berube,, Gallant Brindamour Cooper but I totally expect it to be Arniel. Not saying Arniel is a bad choice as he did seem to be a good job when he filled in for Bowness. However, if it is Arniel I want all new assistant coaches. If they bring everyone back this organization is very unserious.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I just think it will be Arniel because he already knows the systems the Jets are currently employing, and other than the playoffs, the system was successful. If you do bring in a new coach from outside the organization, they may want to change it all up, and with that, there is a risk that it goes the wrong way.

Looking forward to see what they do....

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Sounds to me like Bones needs some roto-rootering done regarding his prostate.
Best coach any Jets team has had.
I can't see anyone being behind the bench that long again.
Really honest with the public as far as coaches go.
Didn't agree with some of his lineup configurations, but that is the number 1 complaint of NHL fans around the league.
His impact on the team was enormous in more ways than one.
His impact was felt strongly by JMo, Lowry, Scheif and many others.
He had his faults like every other coach, but fewer than most.
Best of luck in your retirement Bones, you deserve it.

Q would be a dream but that won't happen.
Arnie is probably the HC next season.
No matter who the new HC is Chevy, please let him pick his own assistants.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad