The Annual CHEERING FOR CANADA IN THE PLAYOFFS THREAD...

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Every year I write out large posts explaining why I think cheering for a Nation in the playoffs is pretty ridiculous, unless you're of said descent living in another country and cheering on your nations player.

As living in Canada though the Media (whether it be for ratings, or trying to grow the fanbases together) use this narrative. Bringing the cup Back to Canada. I'm sure fellow Canadian teams fans would agree they would take a bullet to the right eye before cheering on there rival in canada

Media Sayings like...."CANADAS BEST CHANCE" it;s just so cringy.

You have more then enough opportunity IMO to cheer for your Nation at the IIHF in a month and a half, or the Olympics, or the WOrld CUp of Hocjey, the WORLD JUNIORS...hell the SPENGLER cup.

YOU Can even cheer on Canadian players making up half of most american teams rosters.

BUT IN MY OPINION, THE NHL PLAYOFFS SHOULD BE ABOUT CHEERING FOR FRANCHISES AND ITS PLAYERS. If you cheer for the player because there form the country you support that;s fine too, just as long as itg's not the nation.

Not everyone will agree or has to abide by what I'm saying, I just hate the narrative the media uses when this happens.

There will be articles WHO IS CANADAS BEST HOPE THE LEAFS OR THE JETS, if there haven't been already.

I for one cheer for exciting hockey, and teams players/ I like or who have never won the cup, deserve a cup, or I wouldnt mind seeing win the cup.

AND OF COURSE, THE FUNNEST PART OF THE PLAOFFS IF YOUR TEAM DOESEN'T MAKE IT (SO EVERY YEAR FOR ME) CHeering against the teams you hate.

Just wanted to get that off my chest.

Again not everyone will agree, but this and the COMPLAINING ABOUT THE REFS always are two things that drive me crazy around pllayoff time.

Tuesday night is my X-MAS eve. I still get butterflies every year when I hear "Thd following is a paid presentation...... of CBC SPORTSSSSS" just a minute before 7pm EAstern, KNOWING FULL WELL ITS TIME...the PLAYOFFS are here, that feeling stays the same since I was 5 years old 25 years ago in 1993.

The Night before the Draft/Lottery, the nights before the Deadline opening night of the Regular Season, OR EVEN to a lesserf extent ..the FINALS (if you care who's in it) June 30th, and of course the big one the night before Game 1 of the PLayoffs are the X-Mas Eve's for hockey fans. Tuesday Night is the biggest one.

So as that looms...I hope to not have to see this ONLY 2 CANADIAN TEAMS, REFFING IS A JOKE threads that wreck the positive playoff vibe.

Watch, all 8 teams who lose in the first round it will be because of the REFS. lol

ANyway the point was to be about cheering for nations in the playoffs, so that's what I came to say.

Not everyone will see it this way.

Last edited:

Leafs1993

Jan 25, 2016
Ottawa, ON
So salty :sarcasm: Is there a specific team you dont want people supporting? :laugh:

I dont agree with you on this, my team sucked for a long time and come playoff time I would root for other Canadian teams. I hate the sens and habs but yes, those teams included.

Heck, if the Leafs get knocked out I would root for Winnipeg. Even tho the bickering between fanbases is really annoying, I would rather see a Canadian team raise the cup.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I don't care if a Canadian team wins, but I don't see why you are so worked up that some people do.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
I'm on the Winnipeg bandwagon, but not because they're Canadian, they're just a really fun team to watch.

The Leafs didn't even get out of the first round last year and this place was insufferable for months-- I don't want to think about what a cup win would do to HF,

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
I still get butterflies every year when I hear "Thd following is a praid presentation of CBC SPORTS" just a minute before 7pm EAstern knowing the PLAYOFFS are here, that feeling stays the same since I was 5 years old 25 years ago in 1993.

This has always given me goosebumps, from when I was a kid. It's not the same now but here is one of the best CBC sports ID's ever

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
I was born after the Habs Cup win, so naturally I'd prefer a Canadian team to win (even Toronto), however I won't be pissed if it doesn't happen

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
I don't care if a Canadian team wins, but I don't see why you are so worked up that some people do.

I'm, not reallhy WORKED up and it's not about if they WIN, its about cheering for them or nothing.

I'll tell you the TOP TWO REASONS I CARE.

1) Because as I stated in the post about all the other opportunities to cheer for Canada. The MEDIA spinning the narrative in every paper, column, website, panel, etc.As if it's CANADA or nothing at all for some of them.

2) WORD OF MOUTH IN PERSON.. Your all excited for some good playoff hockey, you go to a store make small talk with fans. Hey you ecited for the playoffs? "Nah, theres only 2 canadian teams..." I want Canada to win the cup.

Statements like ABOVE really bother me because people are mising out on GREAT HCKEY due to (and i hate hasving to use the word narrative so much but hats the only thing that fits here) THE NARRATIVE portrayed by the media.

it wrecks the overall perception, it's a buzz kill.

I miss seeing car flags everywhere, everyone into it and I get in Canada it usually has to be a Canadian team for that to happen, not in my family. We all are canadian but cheer for a number od different american teams. My brother ddrives with his Bruins flag everywhere.

So at the end of the day it's not a HUGE THING because I still get playoff hockey, I just wish fans and the media didn't project it like this so strong.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
So salty :sarcasm: Is there a specific team you dont want people supporting? :laugh:

I dont agree with you on this, my team sucked for a long time and come playoff time I would root for other Canadian teams. I hate the sens and habs but yes, those teams included.

Heck, if the Leafs get knocked out I would root for Winnipeg. Even tho the bickering between fanbases is really annoying, I would rather see a Canadian team raise the cup.

Despite my dislike of the Leafs this has nothing to do with them at all.

I said the same things here on HF when the Leafs weren't even in the playoffs. Hell, I said this in years my team was in the playoffs, so no salty'ness here.

I say this every year. FOr reasons I mainly put above, I go over them better at my reply just above this post.

By the way I don;t know if you really understand what I'm saying.

Of course if your a FAN OF THE TEAM that's Canadian going for your team makes sense and is more then ok.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Cheering for Bruins and Leafs. Leafs are unbelievably entertaining and really starting to appreciate guys like Dermott and Rielly. Matthews as a top 5 favourite player for me too. Id cheer if they win. If the Flames made it could cheer for them too and even the Sens cause they have Burrows but thats about it North of the border for me outside of my hopeless Canucks :)

Reactions: Rob Brown

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
Not everyone has had a team forever. Some are just getting into hockey. It’s not weak or odd to cheer for anyone. If I watched a full season of NFL I would have no clue who I was cheering for lol.

I’m cheering for my team in the playoffs but if they fall short I will just watch the games and enjoy the hockey, probably cheering for first time players (Ovie) or legacy building (Crosby)

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

Jason316

Oct 3, 2017
Santa Monica California
I agree

It’s been 1993 since I saw a Canadian team win it. Also my first year watching playoffs. So naturally before I die I would like a Canadian city to take joy in winning the cup.

If not a Canadian city then another cup for California wouldn’t hurt lol

jets2020champs

Nov 6, 2016
Canada
I have a question. Teams that win the championship are always invited to the White House. We’re the Blue Jays invited when they won? We’re any of the Canadian city Stanley Cup champs invited? Serious question.

Now about the OP. I think some Canadians who cheer for Canadian base teams are actually cheering for that city’s fans. There’s nothing wrong with supporting your fellow Canadians.

But of course, these forums can really build some hatred amongs Canadian fans.

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011
It depends on which Canadian team we are talking about....

There is no way I would ever cheer for the Leafs or Habs, I will however %100 actively route against them in the playoffs for every. single. game.

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
The way I see it, all 7 Canadian teams are direct competition to be the first Canadian team to bring the Cup back home. I might cheer for Winnipeg but I don't want them to win because of that this year. As for cheering for the Leafs :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad