The Annual CHEERING FOR CANADA IN THE PLAYOFFS THREAD...

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
Cheering for Bruins and Leafs. Leafs are unbelievably entertaining and really starting to appreciate guys like Dermott and Rielly. Matthews as a top 5 favourite player for me too. Id cheer if they win. If the Flames made it could cheer for them too and even the Sens cause they have Burrows but thats about it North of the border for me outside of my hopeless Canucks :)
I don't know, the Canucks have some really good players coming up. I think the future is looking pretty good for them.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I don't see the problem, you see hyperactive nationalism from so many posters just regarding prospects and players let alone teams here in abundance. So many posters on here only care about a player if he is from their country so whats the big deal with the Canadian media pimping a Canadian team to win the cup? They are Canadian media after all.

Just this past week there was a thread after Eichel had his 5 assist night and one poster after waxing poetically about Jack topped it off by saying..........U.S.A,U.S.A,U.S.A!!

I am not sure what a certain players accomplishments as a member of a team in the N.H.L had to do with Team U.S.A at that particular time as he is playing for the buffalo sabres when he did this not Team U.S.A but apparently it's o.k because no one seemed to mind that seemed to be the focus of this poster, I did not mind either. He's proud of a guys accomplishment in this league from his country, fine with me.

1993 was the last time a Canadian based franchise won the stanley cup and it's a hallowed accomplishment in Canada to win it, not surprising the CANADIAN media would do this.

I am quite sure if there was a similar amount of teams in the N.HL that were Russian/Swedish/Finnish based just to name a few examples their media would be doing the same, especially if none of these teams had won the thing since 1993.

I don't understand why this rankles anyone or why they think it is strange.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
Would like to see Jets win it, Leafs winning it would make this board a nightmare, be nice to see them knocked out first round again.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I generally cheer for certain players regardless of the team they play for once my team is eliminated.
Doubt that will ever change for me but all the power to those that express their national pride.

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
I followed the Leafs when the Jets weren't around (and Devils cuz of Brodeur but that's not relevant atm) and was living in Edmonton the year of their cup run a decade ago, and live in Calgary right now so I've already cheered for plenty of Canadian teams :laugh: Montreal were the only team consistently in the playoffs so I would always follow them during the playoffs. Vancouver and Ottawa are the only teams I have never really been interested in, but I definitely was cheering for Ottawa in the playoffs last year. Vancouver I guess I cheered for in 2010?

Nowadays I just keep tabs on how the leafs are doing and kinda get flames news force fed to me, but don't really actively cheer for either of them. They're a fun team to watch for sure, but definitely was hoping the Caps would beat them (sorry Mats :( ) but that had more to do with me genuinely liking the Capitals more. Definitely wouldn't want any Canadian team winning the cup before the Jets do, screw that.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I don't get cheering for any other Canadian team than your own to win the Cup and break the streak. Wouldn't you want that big moment for your club?

And if some other Canadian team does it, doesn't that take away your team's opportunity to do it? If no Canadian team wins it for another year, then that means your team still has a chance to be the one to do it.

Reactions: SmoggyTwinkles

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
My list of who I want to win the Cup starts with:

Leafs

then all the American based teams who I don't care about at all (though still have preferences year to year)

then all the other Canadian based teams in the order of how much it would suck for my own personal feelings.

I want the Leafs to be the team that "brings it back home". It's been long enough now that it's absolutely a thing and something that will be incredibly epic, combine that with the Leafs cup drought, I want it all baby!

Let's say the Jets won this year, and next year the Leafs won....it would take something away from it as a Leafs fan. It would still be incredible, but man I would really like the Leafs to be the first since '93 if possible and so obviously I will cheer against other Canadian based franchises and I have since I became a Leafs fan in the mid 90's.

I was admiring the Flames cup run I'll admit (the Red Mile?) but all the other SCF appearances by Canadian clubs I was very actively wishing for them to lose (and the Canucks really delivered)

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
My body is ready for "Well, I'm going to cheer for #### as they have the most Canadian players! They will certainly win it all!" spin from Don Cherry and others once all the teams residing in Canada are bounced from the playoffs.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
What if they played each other? :sarcasm:

When two teams play each other that I hate, Leafs-Canucks (Thank christ it doesen't happen often) I just want the world to explode.

I also HATE MTL-TOR games, I hate Montreal too, and these games are on all the time.

I literally can't watch them because I am mad when both teams score.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
It's silly.

I don't want any Canadian team winning before Ottawa. Don't care how long the drought has been since the cups been back in Canada

JMecc

Oct 19, 2011
Edmonton
In addition to cheering as you say for franchises and their players, I also want to see certain fanbases rejoice (or not depending on which ones). So with about half of every team being Canadians, if people want to cheer for a million Canadians to party on the streets, I don't think that's ridiculous. I don't mean that you need to pressure your buddies into supporting teams based on the country, just that there's nothing wrong with doing it on that basis.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I don’t care about the nationality of the players on my team. To me, it’s about the fans who follow their teams for many years. I absolutely would like to see fellow Canadian fans have their team do very well as opposed to perhaps an indifferent fan base.

I’ll be cheering for my Jets as hope the Leafs fair well in the East. An easy routing interest too since both teams are super fun to watch.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
The last time I cheered for a Canadian team other than the Leafs in the playoffs was Calgary in 03/04. In general I couldn't care less once the Leafs are eliminated.

jets2020champs

Nov 6, 2016
Canada
There are so many ex-winnipegers in other Canadian cities. I’m sure they will support the Jets. And their friends in their adopted cities will support them. The closer the Jets gets to Stanley Cup, the more support they would get. Some quietly. And when the jets do win the Stanley Cup, people will be watching/reading about the Jets players humbleness. No one will care about me bragging all over HF. :)

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
As a US citizen don't have a dog in this fight but I admire the passion of the OP. You tell 'em!!!

Gnome17

Mar 4, 2016
Sweden
I agree, I personally dont get it.
If I was canadian id want the other canadian teams to lose MORE then id want the us teams to lose.
Cause f*** them, my team is the premier canadian team, we are going to be the first canadian team to win it in a while. That would be my thinking.

In sweden we only have the Swedish Hockey Leauge so obviously only swedish teams, and I cant stand any of them except for my hometown team. When I try to imagine how it would be if finish or norwegian teams played in the same league, I feel like I for sure would prefer a none-swe team to win when my team is eliminated.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
My uncle was trying to convince me to cheer for the habs back in 2010 because they were a Canadian team...most frustrating and annoying conversation of my life.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I don't get cheering for any other Canadian team than your own to win the Cup and break the streak. Wouldn't you want that big moment for your club?

And if some other Canadian team does it, doesn't that take away your team's opportunity to do it? If no Canadian team wins it for another year, then that means your team still has a chance to be the one to do it.

I fall for the Cinderella teams.... So I cheered for Calgary in 04, and Edmonton in 06 (for the most part).

It does not matter to me if that Cinderella team is Canadian or American. Breaking the drought is just a nice thing to have. It's the icing on the cake, but not the cake itself.

This year, I'm cheering for the Jets. They're not a cinderella roster, but it is a cinderella franchise in many respects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad