OT: The All-Purpose Video Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Tales from the Borderlands is an older style action game set in that universe.

In many ways it’s more of an interactive story than anything else, but there are different branch points and story paths you can do down. Your decisions than change the course of the story. Telltale was a particular master at this with an number of games — from Batman to Guardians of the Galaxy, Game of Thrones to Walking Dead.

You decide if someone lives or dies, who you trust, the relationships you have, and ultimately how the story plays out.

Not everyone’s cup of tea, but I have a soft spot for the “pick your own adventure” type approaches to storytelling.

Is it a prequel or sequel to Borderlands though..?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Well ****, add another game to my arsenal cause I’m a huge fan of Borderlands..!

You check out RDR2 yet..?

You can usually find it for very good prices on sale. I actually picked it up for free thanks to Games with Gold a few months back. Finally have a moment to breathe and a chance to check it out.

Haven't played RDR2 yet. Going to see if it goes on sale digitally in a few weeks. Have some unused Xbox Rewards Points to redeem.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
Counter Strike, Overwatch, Black Ops 4 (Battle Royale) and The Division 2 when it releases in March.

frisland

Apr 9, 2003
Any Civ fans here?

I was actually going to start a civ4 game this week. Never got into 5, moved too slowly for me and it wasnt built for city spamming which is my preferred style. That said i really liked the make your own religion aspect, and that it killed the civ4 armies of death.

laptop cant run civ6, so havent tried it, unfortunately. a friend in college had a pre-release version of civ1 , i've been playing since then.

Reactions: RoarLionRoar

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I was actually going to start a civ4 game this week. Never got into 5, moved too slowly for me and it wasnt built for city spamming which is my preferred style. That said i really liked the make your own religion aspect, and that it killed the civ4 armies of death.

laptop cant run civ6, so havent tried it, unfortunately. a friend in college had a pre-release version of civ1 , i've been playing since then.

Yeah, I went from 4 to 6, since I hadn’t updated my laptop in almost 8 years. Both are great games. Every iteration just brings something new.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
So after reading the last GDT, see there is a lot of FF fans on here. Pretty cool. So to get a discussion going and distraction from the Rangers looking like dog poo, which are your top 5 FFs, and which one have you played most recently, replayed or new?

Reactions: Kupo

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
1. Ff 6
2. Ff 12
3. Ff 10
4. Ff 9
5. Ff 7

I most recently started replaying 12 on ps4. I beat 15 100% but didn't like the characters or story but liked the gameplay.

Reactions: Raphael87

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
1. Ff 6
2. Ff 12
3. Ff 10
4. Ff 9
5. Ff 7

I most recently started replaying 12 on ps4. I beat 15 100% but didn't like the characters or story but liked the gameplay.

Are you playing the Zodiac one? It's a little different than the original. I played through 15 twice. I liked it and I though the side quests really took a lot over in that game. The main story arcs were pretty quick, but don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the side quest, sometimes more than the main story quests.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
1. Ff 6
2. Ff 12
3. Ff 10
4. Ff 9
5. Ff 7

12 is so underrated. The amount of things to do/customization is nuts. The story was lacking, but not to the point where it was terrible. Didn’t take away from my experience of enjoying the game at all.

A six year old could write the FF15 story, and that’s not even an exaggeration. When they just revealed Prompto is a robot casually towards the end and don’t address it again in the main game I lost it. Would rank 15 the worst FF I’ve played, by a long shot.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Are you playing the Zodiac one? It's a little different than the original. I played through 15 twice. I liked it and I though the side quests really took a lot over in that game. The main story arcs were pretty quick, but don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the side quest, sometimes more than the main story quests.

Yes, the Zodiac edition. Haven't touched it in a while though, it's just the most recent FF I've played. I'm really hoping that they reveal FF16 soon, but with Kingdom Hearts 3 just being finished and close to release and the fact that they're working on FF7 remake, who knows how far away 16 is. They take so long to make these games now.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
So after reading the last GDT, see there is a lot of FF fans on here. Pretty cool. So to get a discussion going and distraction from the Rangers looking like dog poo, which are your top 5 FFs, and which one have you played most recently, replayed or new?

7-6-10-9-15-12 in that order.

I won't even Acknowledge 13.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
FF13 sucks but I still look back on it better than FF15. The second half of FF15 is just unacceptable. It’s not even bad, it’s just flat out incomplete.

That’s what makes it worse. It’s not like they tried something and it didn’t work out. They just published a game that was probably ~40% done. That is disgraceful, and it’s why I am nervous for KH3. Square Enix have clearly proven to be incapable as a video game developer the past 10 years.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
FF13 sucks but I still look back on it better than FF15. The second half of FF15 is just unacceptable. It’s not even bad, it’s just flat out incomplete.

That’s what makes it worse. It’s not like they tried something and it didn’t work out. They just published a game that was probably ~40% done. That is disgraceful, and it’s why I am nervous for KH3. Square Enix have clearly proven to be incapable as a video game developer the past 10 years.

Did you play it before the Royal edition add one?

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Did you play it before the Royal edition add one?

Yep. I only played the initial game. That’s all I should have to play haha.

The “they fix so and so in this DLC” excuse is a joke (not implying you were going to say this. Just speaking out loud). I shouldn’t have to pay for content that should be in the original game.

Some companies do this tactically (which is also horrible) but SE is just doing it this way because of sheer incompetence. DLC should be handled like it was on The Witcher. I understand not every game’s DLC can be handled this well, but there’s a middle ground.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
12 is so underrated. The amount of things to do/customization is nuts. The story was lacking, but not to the point where it was terrible. Didn’t take away from my experience of enjoying the game at all.

A six year old could write the FF15 story, and that’s not even an exaggeration. When they just revealed Prompto is a robot casually towards the end and don’t address it again in the main game I lost it. Would rank 15 the worst FF I’ve played, by a long shot.

I loved 12, it's in my top 5, maybe even Top 3, loved the story, characters, also loved the hunts. FF 15 was ok, I don't see myself playing it for awhile. The end did not do it for me.

Yes, the Zodiac edition. Haven't touched it in a while though, it's just the most recent FF I've played. I'm really hoping that they reveal FF16 soon, but with Kingdom Hearts 3 just being finished and close to release and the fact that they're working on FF7 remake, who knows how far away 16 is. They take so long to make these games now.

I know the FF 7 remake is still suppose to be coming, they are re-releasing FF X and X-2 for the switch. is 16 going to be a regular FF?

7-6-10-9-15-12 in that order.

I won't even Acknowledge 13.

13 was on the bottom for me as well. The story was all over the place. 12 blow it away, since you had nice character development, and a very strong story, with an excellent supporting cast. 13 lacked all of that, especially a good plot.

It's also felt very rushed the 2nd half, which makes sense that it was incomplete. Once you get to Altissia (Sp?) it pretty much is the end of the game or at least the story events feel that way.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Yep. I only played the initial game. That’s all I should have to play haha.

The “they fix so and so in this DLC” excuse is a joke (not implying you were going to say this. Just speaking out loud). I shouldn’t have to pay for content that should be in the original game. DLC should be handled like it was on The Witcher. I understand not every game’s DLC can be handled this well, but there’s a middle ground.

No I agree with you, the initial game was basically a beta release.

But the dlc fleshes some stuff out. It doesn’t make it a perfect game, but it does make it better.

I had more of an issue with how lazy the side quests were in the game. There was some cool stuff after you beat the game but for the most part it was all fetch quests. I’m sorry miss, I don’t want to catch any f***ing frogs for you.

Reactions: ColonialsHockey10

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Check out Agneis philosophy on YouTube. It was a tech demo from a few years ago but the rumor is that it is going to be ff16.

I couldn’t get into FF12 but maybe I should give it another go, I didn’t think much of 10 the first time around, loved it during my 2nd playthrough.

Except for the chocobo catcher mini game, f*** everything about that.

Reactions: Raphael87
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad