Pre-Game Talk: The All Purpose Off Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Nah. I complain about Letang... on the powerplay. In all other facets, he's a top defenseman and more valuable than Duchene. Once he shakes the rust off and gets back into a groove, we'll start seeing all the things night after night that make him so valuable to this team. Those things just aren't and never will be on the man advantage.

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Which I totally agree with and wish they would just take him off the damn first PP because we have a legit PPQB in Schultz. :laugh: Letang is such a phenomenal talent and not awful on the PP overall, but he's not GOOD there. It's just perplexing.

He's had moments the last few seasons when he's been shooting more and getting more pucks on net thanks to the coaching staff, but good lord, does he look like he needs a month or two of work with Gonch right now.

Yeah, the coaching staff has to see it. It's frustrating to see a coach who puts so much stock in accountability ignore something like this. I understand that stars sometimes have to be treated differently, but we're deliberately putting out the worse option time and again, and it has nothing to do with Letang getting up to speed after his injury (though that would be the party line). He was never as effective/economical on the PP as Schultz is.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Do you really want to see Gonchar kill a man?

I still like my shock collar idea. One zap for a double clutch. Two for a triple clutch. You duct tape the button down when he triple clutches and bashes it off a shinguard.

The shock collar would also kill him.

Yeah, the coaching staff has to see it. It's frustrating to see a coach who puts so much stock in accountability ignore something like this. I understand that stars sometimes have to be treated differently, but we're deliberately putting out the worse option time and again, and it has nothing to do with Letang getting up to speed after his injury (though that would be the party line). He was never as effective/economical on the PP as Schultz is.

The accountability has had blind spots before, too. Kunitz, Bonino being invisible for most of the season and whatever Porter was. Letang is the most logical one for a glaring problem. The futility on the PP has to frustrate Letang as well unless he's stupid enough to think all is well. Being off it would undoubtedly piss him off more but he can't be happy with his PP performance most of the time.

I know people didn't like Johnston attempting splitting up PP1 but it's the ego appeasing answer. Stick Letang in Kessel's spot in one unit, let Schultz be the PPQB for more than 30 seconds every time.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Remember all of that trash I took when I suggested the Pens take a flier on Yak???? Interesting

https://milehighsticking.com/2017/10/10/colorado-avalanche-get-2-incredible-goals-from-nail-yakupov/

Wow the guy scored 2 goals. One where the goalie made a terrible play and the other an empty net goal that he didn't even shoot in the net.
He would have come cheap and has insane speed and a blistering shot. But yea, of course Wilson and Kuhn are much better options.

haha. Yak would be a total disaster on the 4th line playing mostly defensive minutes.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I never said Yak should be on the 4th line. Simply stating he holds more upside and value than current players on the roster and would have come cheap, cheap, cheap. Low risk, high reward payoff.

Thank you

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I never said Yak should be on the 4th line. Simply stating he holds more upside and value than current players on the roster and would have come cheap, cheap, cheap. Low risk, high reward payoff.

Thank you

More upside maybe, but a hell of a lot more downside. You didn't say he'd be on the 4th line, but that's where he belongs on this team's depth chart. He is for sure worse than the following:

Jake, Rust, Sheary, Hornqvist, Hagelin, Kessel. Those are your top 9 wingers. Unless there are injuries, Yak isn't getting ice time over them. And even if there are injuries, the Pens short term fill ins from the list below and Sprong, ZAR, Simon, etc in Wilkes for any longer term needs.

Then you have Wilson, Kuhn, Archibald, Reaves.

It makes ZERO sense for this team to target Yak. If there was a Yak equivalent at center that was crazy cheap to sign, then that's at least worth discussing.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
More upside maybe, but a hell of a lot more downside. You didn't say he'd be on the 4th line, but that's where he belongs on this team's depth chart. He is for sure worse than the following:

Jake, Rust, Sheary, Hornqvist, Hagelin, Kessel. Those are your top 9 wingers. Unless there are injuries, Yak isn't getting ice time over them. And even if there are injuries, the Pens short term fill ins from the list below and Sprong, ZAR, Simon, etc in Wilkes for any longer term needs.

Then you have Wilson, Kuhn, Archibald, Reaves.

It makes ZERO sense for this team to target Yak. If there was a Yak equivalent at center that was crazy cheap to sign, then that's at least worth discussing.

I would have traded Sheary and Signed Yak and put him with either Sid or Geno. And unlike Kessel, I see Yak working with either. His speed game work with Sid (iq, IQ...IQ) and his shot would work with Geno. And if it didn't you dump him by mid season and bring up Sprong. But if it worked..... People around the league would be both bitter and jelly at the same time.

Lastly, I know Sheary's numbers, but what would Yak's numbers be playing along Sid. You can guess, just like I will, but know one really knows.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
I would have traded Sheary and Signed Yak and put him with either Sid or Geno. And unlike Kessel, I see Yak working with either. His speed game work with Sid (iq, IQ...IQ) and his shot would work with Geno. And if it didn't you dump him by mid season and bring up Sprong. But if it worked..... People around the league would be both bitter and jelly at the same time.

Lastly, I know Sheary's numbers, but what would Yak's numbers be playing along Sid. You can guess, just like I will, but know one really knows.
He plays a lazy game and has zero hockey iq. He wouldn't see the ice for more than 2 games under Sullivan.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

Thank you

I believe you said he should be playing w/ Sid, correct?

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
SQIM8Y8.png

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

I still disagree with the notion that Sid and Kessel won't work together. I remember them playing one game together since Sully took over, and they scored two goals. But it was when Bones and Geno were both hurt, so they split them back up.

I'm not saying we should do it, but I am pretty sure they'd do very well together.

Reactions: Kip Drordy

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Yakupov has the hockey IQ of a rock. He'd piss Crosby off in no time.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I still disagree with the notion that Sid and Kessel won't work together. I remember them playing one game together since Sully took over, and they scored two goals. But it was when Bones and Geno were both hurt, so they split them back up.

I'm not saying we should do it, but I am pretty sure they'd do very well together.

True, we haven't seen Kessel/Sid enough and it possibly could work quite well.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I really don't think Letang is the issue on the power play. The issue is the way they set up Letang on the power play.

People like Schultz on the power play because it is simplistic. He has a huge slap shot. When Letang is out there for some reason Sid is consistently throwing the puck into the middle of the ice to Kessel. It works occasionally, but they're just too fancy out there. I honesty don't know how you fix it unless you pull one of Kessel / Malkin / Crosby off.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
giphy.gif

People seriously think the Penguins should have signed Yakupov? For real?

Trying to figure out how images work on this site isn't going well :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Darth Vitale
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad