Rumor: The All Encompassing Trevor Zegras Thread

What would you give up to get Zegras?

• Habs 24 1st (Top 5 protected)

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Habs 25 1st (Top 5 protected)

Votes: 9 3.4%
  • WPG 24 1st OR Cal 25 1st + forward and defense prospect (e.g. Mesar & Barron)

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • WPG 24 1st AND Cal 25 1st + forward and defense prospect (e.g. Mesar & Barron)

Votes: 34 12.8%
  • Habs 24 1st (Top 5 protected) AND WPG 24 1st AND Cal 25 1st

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Some other combination of 1st round picks and prospects

Votes: 30 11.3%
  • Nothing - Zegras has too many red flags and will kill the culture

Votes: 83 31.3%

• Total voters

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
what makes you think caufield has more value/upside? Fully entitled to your opinion btw…. Just curious.

caufield is the better goal scorer, zegras is better playmaker/line driver, zegras also has better handling vision and hockey iq imo .

Both suspect defensively…. Both not very physical tho I think zegras has more willingness to engage in physical play and also has a little edge to his game.

at every level zegras has been seen as the higher upside player? I like caufield I think he’s a very good player I put him in the same tier of player as zegras. I don’t love to say 1 is much better than the other because admittedly I don’t watch a ton of full Montreal games. I know caufield is a gamer and has a lethal shot
Caufield scored 48 goals in his first 82 games under MSL with half those points coming in his rookie year.

He’s already generating shots at a rate of about 300 per year. That should yield 40-50 goals per year. He has the highest goals per game of any player in the league under 23 and that’s with his crappy year this season.

Then there’s his history. The only reason he was wasn’t drafted top five was his size and people thought his skills wouldn’t translate. He’s shown they can.

There’s no way we should trade away a guy who’s already shown he can pace at the rate of a top five goal scorer. Do that and you’d seriously regret it.

Reactions: tazsub3

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Caufield scored 48 goals in his first 82 games under MSL with half those points coming in his rookie year.

He’s already generating shots at a rate of about 300 per year. That should yield 40-50 goals per year. He has the highest goals per game of any player in the league under 23 and that’s with his crappy year this season.

Then there’s his history. The only reason he was wasn’t drafted top five was his size and people thought his skills wouldn’t translate. He’s shown they can.

There’s no way we should trade away a guy who’s already shown he can pace at the rate of a top five goal scorer. Do that and you’d seriously regret it.
I don’t think anyone, or many people are advocating trading caufield… I think they are saying zegras has similar trade value to caufield so hypothetically if you were to trade caufield you what would you want and in theory that’s close to what Anaheim would want for zegras(give or take a little, depending on situation/perspective/contract etc)

I don’t think the habs should ever consider moving caufield, he’s an ideal compliment player to a top 6 line driver, and an elite goal scorer

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don’t think anyone, or many people are advocating trading caufield… I think they are saying zegras has similar trade value to caufield so hypothetically if you were to trade caufield you what would you want and in theory that’s close to what Anaheim would want for zegras(give or take a little, depending on situation/perspective/contract etc)

I don’t think the habs should ever consider moving caufield, he’s an ideal compliment player to a top 6 line driver, and an elite goal scorer
I don’t think they have equivalent upside. I think goals are the single most important thing a player can offer. And I think CC has the potential to perpetually be in the top ten if not top five. It’s very early in his career and he has yet to put it together in a single season but his 48 in 82 would’ve been good enough for fourth in the league last season if he had done it over that year. For a player that young to have already demonstrated this… that is elite company.

It’s not a guarantee but his shot volume and past history suggest he should be an elite goal scorer going forward. This year for example, his underlying numbers are great but his shooting percentage of 8.8 is brutal. To me, that sticks out as an anomaly but we’ll see.

Personally, I have him pencilled in as a 40-50 goal guy going forward. That is elite and I don’t see Zegras being able to reach that kind of impact.

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021

I understand that you don't want to consider the scenario that the relationship between managemrnt and Zegras has soured, but there are a lot of red flags. Multiple media sources are talking about it. The team and player signed a short term deal. I think you are putting your head in the sand a bit here. It is not comparable to the Caufield situation at all, and it makes their value different. WIth all the media attention around this market, there hasn't been a peep about any negative relationship with Caufield, and we signed him easily to a long term deal. You at least need to acknowledge the possibility here. If you guys trade Zegras, he will be the best piece in the trade, no question, and a GM like Hughes is not going to overpay.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I understand that you don't want to consider the scenario that the relationship between managemrnt and Zegras has soured, but there are a lot of red flags. Multiple media sources are talking about it. The team and player signed a short term deal. I think you are putting your head in the sand a bit here. It is not comparable to the Caufield situation at all, and it makes their value different. WIth all the media attention around this market, there hasn't been a peep about any negative relationship with Caufield, and we signed him easily to a long term deal. You at least need to acknowledge the possibility here. If you guys trade Zegras, he will be the best piece in the trade, no question, and a GM like Hughes is not going to overpay.
No I’m open to the idea, hence why I’m more willing to discuss it than most duck fans. And if you went to the ducks forums right now and said “Montreal 1st + barron for zegras” you would get laughed off the boards.

But again the media have very little knowledge of the ducks… that we can prob all agree on.

Cutter gauthier, was unwilling to sign with Philly…. That was factual and came out from flyers + gauthier camp and he still returned a top 4 dmen (recent 5th overall) with top pair upside + a potential high 2nd.

Kirby dach was knowingly available and returned a 13th overall pick, and a 3rd… despite being pretty disappointing post draft.

I don’t see Montreal’s pick at 7 -10 as higher value than zegras, I think it’s a realistic trade scenario of zegras was moved. The 2019 nhl draft was seen as a better draft than this year and it’s not very close, and 4-5 years later zegras is still seen as a top 5 pick in that draft.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I don’t think they have equivalent upside. I think goals are the single most important thing a player can offer. And I think CC has the potential to perpetually be in the top ten if not top five. It’s very early in his career and he has yet to put it together in a single season but his 48 in 82 would’ve been good enough for fourth in the league last season if he had done it over that year. For a player that young to have already demonstrated this… that is elite company.

It’s not a guarantee but his shot volume and past history suggest he should be an elite goal scorer going forward. This year for example, his underlying numbers are great but his shooting percentage of 8.8 is brutal. To me, that sticks out as an anomaly but we’ll see.

Personally, I have him pencilled in as a 40-50 goal guy going forward. That is elite and I don’t see Zegras being able to reach that kind of impact.
zegras at similar ages put up similar #s to Suzuki offensively…. Suzuki is now starting to hit that next level offensively(at 24) with better talent around him. I’d have a hard time at capping zegras potential at 60-70 point range. When he’s played on pretty bad rosters, and anemic power plays and already hitting those point ranges.

He’s never going to beat caufield in goals, I’ll give you that. And idk what I’d consider the break point in terms of goals vs points is(I gusss we could look at the matthews vs Mcdavid debates). Caufield is elite goal scorer, zegras has the tools to be an elite play maker.

I think zegras upside is 30/60/90 player, maybe I’m wrong but hopefully PV waits and finds out.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
zegras at similar ages put up similar #s to Suzuki offensively…. Suzuki is now starting to hit that next level offensively(at 24) with better talent around him. I’d have a hard time at capping zegras potential at 60-70 point range. When he’s played on pretty bad rosters, and anemic power plays and already hitting those point ranges.

He’s never going to beat caufield in goals, I’ll give you that. And idk what I’d consider the break point in terms of goals vs points is(I gusss we could look at the matthews vs Mcdavid debates). Caufield is elite goal scorer, zegras has the tools to be an elite play maker.

I think zegras upside is 30/60/90 player, maybe I’m wrong but hopefully PV waits and finds out.
I think Caufield has better upside than Suzuki as well. I put a premium on goals and Suzuki to date hasn't demonstrated that he's an average or above centerman. He's played extremely well in the past few weeks and maybe he's reached the next level, but Caufield was 48 in 82 out of the gate. There's just too much upside there for me to ignore.

This was the year I thought Caufield would blow it out but it hasn't happened that way. I fully expect him to be shooting around 13-16 percent next year. If that happens he'll be in that 40-50 range.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I think Caufield has better upside than Suzuki as well. I put a premium on goals and Suzuki to date hasn't demonstrated that he's an average or above centerman. He's played extremely well in the past few weeks and maybe he's reached the next level, but Caufield was 48 in 82 out of the gate. There's just too much upside there for me to ignore.

This was the year I thought Caufield would blow it out but it hasn't happened that way. I fully expect him to be shooting around 13-16 percent next year. If that happens he'll be in that 40-50 range.
Won’t find an argument from me , with the team improving around caufield as long as he’s not injured he should comfortably be scoring at a 40-50 goal pace for the foreseeable future. I see caufield as a better debrincat.

Suzuki actually showing more offense this year than i expected from him, I’ve always liked the prime Kesler comp for Suzuki, but Suzuki may be better offensively(where Kesler was prob more annoying to play against due to the physicality/edge in his game)

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
No I’m open to the idea, hence why I’m more willing to discuss it than most duck fans. And if you went to the ducks forums right now and said “Montreal 1st + barron for zegras” you would get laughed off the boards.

But again the media have very little knowledge of the ducks… that we can prob all agree on.

Cutter gauthier, was unwilling to sign with Philly…. That was factual and came out from flyers + gauthier camp and he still returned a top 4 dmen (recent 5th overall) with top pair upside + a potential high 2nd.

Kirby dach was knowingly available and returned a 13th overall pick, and a 3rd… despite being pretty disappointing post draft.

I don’t see Montreal’s pick at 7 -10 as higher value than zegras, I think it’s a realistic trade scenario of zegras was moved. The 2019 nhl draft was seen as a better draft than this year and it’s not very close, and 4-5 years later zegras is still seen as a top 5 pick in that draft.
The way the Habs played right now, our pick is probably top 5 and there are some very very good players available top 5.

Reactions: larek

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021

My trade offer was our 1st (8-10) and Hutson, who many consider our best non-NHL prospect. Many here hate the idea lol.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
My trade offer was our 1st (8-10) and Hutson, who many consider our best non-NHL prospect. Many here hate the idea lol.
I think that’s prob a tad high for Montreal, Anaheim would prob prefer barron/kovacevic anyway(I assume that’s more comfortable trade wise for Montreal either way) Trading drysdale left us with a hole on the right side

We’re prob 1 of the few teams that would have minimal interest in Hutson, on left side zellweger is having a beast of a year In the ahl and looked good in his nhl games, and Mintyukov looks like he’ll be our future #1, so in theory if we did bring in a left handed dmen we’d prob prefer more of a 2way/shutdown guy(which may be lacombe/moore or hinds).

I also don’t know that Montreal should move Hutson until they see how he looks in ahl/nhl. He reminds me of a smaller Brandt Clarke…. Could be electric

Reactions: Goalfield22

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
I think that’s prob a tad high for Montreal, Anaheim would prob prefer barron/kovacevic anyway(I assume that’s more comfortable trade wise for Montreal either way) Trading drysdale left us with a hole on the right side

We’re prob 1 of the few teams that would have minimal interest in Hutson, on left side zellweger is having a beast of a year In the ahl and looked good in his nhl games, and Mintyukov looks like he’ll be our future #1, so in theory if we did bring in a left handed dmen we’d prob prefer more of a 2way/shutdown guy(which may be lacombe/moore or hinds).

I also don’t know that Montreal should move Hutson until they see how he looks in ahl/nhl. He reminds me of a smaller Brandt Clarke…. Could be electric
I forgot to mention Anaheim's 2024 2nd would be coming our way.

It isn't a trade I would make myself, but one that I see as realistic. Zegras is underrated and small D like Hutson typically have a hard time at the NHL level. We have a lot of depth on D and will need to make tough decisions soon.

Edit: another trade people seemed to like was our 1st + Winnipeg's 2024 first + Engstrom.

Goalfield22

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
Yeah that would effectively mean Dach & Newhook are out imho. Maybe we keep Dach, but Newhook... :shakehead
Why would they be out? Newhook and Dach can play wing. If Stamkos and Draisaitl can play wing, these guys can too. Newhook IMO is better at W.

Zegras-Celebrini-Dach
CC-Suzuki-Slaf
Newhook-Beck-Roy

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I forgot to mention Anaheim's 2024 2nd would be coming our way.

It isn't a trade I would make myself, but one that I see as realistic. Zegras is underrated and small D like Hutson typically have a hard time at the NHL level. We have a lot of depth on D and will need to make tough decisions soon.

Edit: another trade people seemed to like was our 1st + Winnipeg's 2024 first + Engstrom.
if we win the lottery and get celebrini…. I could def see us moving zeg for something like 2nd package. Grab iginla/levshunov/yakemchuk/Dickinson or biuim. I have a suspicion that iginla is high on our want list /draft board

Reactions: Goalfield22

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Why would they be out? Newhook and Dach can play wing. If Stamkos and Draisaitl can play wing, these guys can too. Newhook IMO is better at W.

Zegras-Celebrini-Dach
CC-Suzuki-Slaf
Newhook-Beck-Roy
Because he sucks and we can just use anyone on 3rd line wing. Exactly the same reason why Avs traded him.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Won’t find an argument from me , with the team improving around caufield as long as he’s not injured he should comfortably be scoring at a 40-50 goal pace for the foreseeable future. I see caufield as a better debrincat.

Suzuki actually showing more offense this year than i expected from him, I’ve always liked the prime Kesler comp for Suzuki, but Suzuki may be better offensively(where Kesler was prob more annoying to play against due to the physicality/edge in his game)
Suzuki has shown the ability to dominate in stretches. Last year for example he was on close to a 100 point pace until about mid November. Then he dropped off a cliff.

This year was trudging along at a 65 point pace until the mid Jan. Then he really picked up his play. Some of his points can be attributed to Slaf driving a lot of the play but Suzuki himself has shown much more intensity than previously this season. He’s been outstanding since mid Jan.

The extra gear is there. He’s shown it. But he hasn’t shown it consistently. My hope is that he’s finally leveled up. But - like Caufield - he has to prove it. We’ll see how he does down the stretch. I’m not ready to call this more than a streak at this point. But - maybe he’s found the extra gear. If so that would be an outstanding development for us.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
begs the question…..why all the chatter? a seemingly good young player with enormous upside…..why are you entertaining the idea of moving him?

in HuGo we trust.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I think Caufield has better upside than Suzuki as well. I put a premium on goals and Suzuki to date hasn't demonstrated that he's an average or above centerman. He's played extremely well in the past few weeks and maybe he's reached the next level, but Caufield was 48 in 82 out of the gate. There's just too much upside there for
Lol you just plain don't like the guy eh..

How high you place Caufield on the pedestal for 'last years pace' and how amazingly low you have Suzuki will just never sit right with me lol

My main beef is you refuse to add Cole's imaginary goals he may of got passed his 26 last year to Suzukis 66 points total

And now it's this year , where Cole is struggling and having a 'down year' , yet Suzuki is 53 in 57
And if Cole wasnt struggling, maybe its 60 in 57 or more..

But 'all' you do is prop up Cole no matter what and keep talking about Pace's, and Suzuki is just chopped liver not even an Average C because you feel he is only about 'streaks'
But is still producing despite Cole and no Dach on the PP..

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
begs the question…..why all the chatter? a seemingly good young player with enormous upside…..why are you entertaining the idea of moving him?

in HuGo we trust.
I’d be willing to bet the chatter is most manufactured, teams see carlsson mctavish and potentially a high center pick this year, and would love for zegras to be available.

From Anaheim perspective…. Zegras is good, but he could be seen as expendable for the right piece/s as he’s prob behind mctavish carlsson as a center…. And winger is a work in progress for him. I still think zegras is better center then mctavish personally but I think PV wants to be big and strong down the middle

Reactions: BJCOLLINS

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Because he sucks and we can just use anyone on 3rd line wing. Exactly the same reason why Avs traded him.
Ya I’m a little surprised people are debating whether or not zegras is an upgrade on newhook/dach, or getting zegras makes dach/newhook expendable as a bad thing

Reactions: vokiel

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Lol you just plain don't like the guy eh..

How high you place Caufield on the pedestal for 'last years pace' and how amazingly low you have Suzuki will just never sit right with me lol

My main beef is you refuse to add Cole's imaginary goals he may of got passed his 26 last year to Suzukis 66 points total

And now it's this year , where Cole is struggling and having a 'down year' , yet Suzuki is 53 in 57
And if Cole wasnt struggling, maybe its 60 in 57 or more..

But 'all' you do is prop up Cole no matter what and keep talking about Pace's, and Suzuki is just chopped liver not even an Average C because you feel he is only about 'streaks'
But is still producing despite Cole and no Dach on the PP..
I don’t think I’ve propped up CC at all. My thoughts here are on his potential, not this year’s play. And YES I think he has far more potential than Suzuki. I’ve felt this way for a long time. But that doesn’t mean I think he was better than Suzuki this year - I don’t.

Up until now CC’s been uber consistent. But this season has been a real disappointment. He’ll have to prove himself next year. It’s okay to have an off year but two in a row would really call into question whether he’s a good or great player.

As for Suzuki, as I said above, he’s been outstanding since mid Jan. THAT is what a number one center looks like. If he can maintain that play - I’d be thrilled. It’s always been about consistency with him.

As I’ve said before, this season I think Nick’s been our best player and he’s really stepped it up. I was really hoping for this to be the year CC breaks out and that didn’t happen.

I’m hoping next year CC solidifies himself as a 40+ guy. If not, then I’ll re-evaluate my thoughts on him.

So yeah I’m terms of Zegras, no way I’d say he’s the equivalent of CC. But I base that on past history and underlying play. Ultimately though the value is in the goals. If he’s going to continue shooting at 8 percent (I don’t think he will) then his value is largely negated.

Last edited:
Reactions: Redux91

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad