Rumor: The All Encompassing Trevor Zegras Thread

What would you give up to get Zegras?

• Habs 24 1st (Top 5 protected)

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Habs 25 1st (Top 5 protected)

Votes: 9 3.4%
  • WPG 24 1st OR Cal 25 1st + forward and defense prospect (e.g. Mesar & Barron)

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • WPG 24 1st AND Cal 25 1st + forward and defense prospect (e.g. Mesar & Barron)

Votes: 34 12.8%
  • Habs 24 1st (Top 5 protected) AND WPG 24 1st AND Cal 25 1st

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Some other combination of 1st round picks and prospects

Votes: 30 11.3%
  • Nothing - Zegras has too many red flags and will kill the culture

Votes: 83 31.3%

• Total voters

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
Once again, us Habs fans have found our shiny new toy this year to obsess about. The PLD thread, now long and dead, and the resulting player no-show in LA , should have taught us to be at least conscious of, if not wary of, some early flags on a player.

That being said, setting up this Zegras-specific thread so that the topic doesn't monopolize all other threads.

To get a sense of whose on what side, putting up a poll.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Once again, us Habs fans have found our shiny new toy this year to obsess about. The PLD thread, now long and dead, and the resulting player no-show in LA , should have taught us to be at least conscious of, if not wary of, some early flags on a player.

That being said, setting up this Zegras-specific thread so that the topic doesn't monopolize all other threads.

To get a sense of whose on what side, putting up a poll.

It's going to be really interesting to see what Hughes tries to do at the draft for sure. I also wonder which first he'd give up for Zegras.

That Flames pick in 2025 is a real wild card. It could be anywhere from 2nd to 32nd. I'm hoping the Flames finish 11th to 13th, because I think the Panthers make the playoffs. So I want the Flames to be bad, but not too bad, kind of like this year, but slightly worse. So I don't know if I want them to re-sign Hanafin or not.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I chose other combination.

Switch top 5 protection this year to top 10 for the 2024 Habs 1st.

I would start though with the Winnipeg 1st + Better of Habs/Pens 2025 2nd + Barron + Mesar.

I'm willing to give a back to back 60+ offensive forward a shot. Particularly one who is friendly with Cole. He could fit in great with our young studs.

Reactions: CDN24

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Zegras will kill this teams winning culture :laugh:

As Button pointed out, the same was said about the following pkayers when they were about to be traded: Joe Thornton, Jack Eichel, Joe Neuwindyk, Vinny Lecavalier in tampa, etc... Sometimes the reports are true. Sometimes they're not.

Craig Button thinks Zegras has fantastic competitive drive and wants to be a difference maker in big games.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I'm not completely against the idea of Zegras.

I do feel he's slightly overrated by the hockey community.

If the Habs first is top 8 then it's off the table. After that I *may* consider it.

Ideally it would be WPG or CAL first.
In a recent players poll he was voted most overrated player.

Reactions: Anardil and Tuggy

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
As Button pointed out, the same was said about the following pkayers when they were about to be traded: Joe Thornton, Jack Eichel, Joe Neuwindyk, Vinny Lecavalier in tampa, etc... Sometimes the reports are true. Sometimes they're not.

Craig Button thinks Zegras has fantastic competitive drive and wants to be a difference maker in big games.
That's why Verbeek likes him (sarcasm).

If he is so awesome why is his name being thrown around in trade talks?

Reactions: Cournoyer12

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
... Except Thornton, Eichel, Lecavalier and Nieuwendyk had established themselves as first-line centers. Zegras isn't even established as a first line winger, and is also a smaller player than all of them, which doesn't bode well when this current season is making it way too obvious that the forward corps should get bigger, not smaller.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Without our 1st pick , you can forget that

So the question should be: Are you ready to trade Habs 1st pick in a package for Zegras ?

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
This has PLD all over it, we need to stop salivating over other teams problems child.
Rebuilding team wants to trade a 60 point scorer who’s 22?

I dunno, seems like a massive concern to me. They have big boys to insulate him too.

And where is the rumour? This should be speculation or fan fiction tagged.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
the majority was also 12% of players and the kid did just get a ton of hype being on the NHL 23 cover
An aside but I found this hilarious.
1708008758534.png

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
For what it's worth, I'm not a flat-out-no to acquiring Zegras. But I wouldn't zero in on him, either.

But, love him or hate him, he's 22 years old and he already has two 60+ point seasons under his belt. Things aren't going great offensively this year and he's had injury issues (perfect fit for Habs ;)).

But unlike Dach and Newhook, who had potential but hadn'tfully displayed it with their former teams, Zegras would be more along the lines of someone who has already proven they can put up 20+ goals and 60+ points.

I wouldn't mind a Top-6 consisting of Suzuki, Caufield, Slaf, Dach, Newhook, and Zegras.

What it really means tho is that he is one of the most hated by others teams players lol

Habs need players that are hated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad