Speculation: The All Encompassing Leafs Goaltending thread - Leafs talking to Kipper

Status
Not open for further replies.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Are you really shocked man? Honestly? These are the same fans that love the worst 1C in the history of the franchise. The same fans that supported Wilson while guys like me maybe you were calling for Wilson's head years ago. Is it really all that shocking?

This team needs to end the Fanmance(c)(tm)(theremedial) that they have with Bozak. We have best team since our conference final run back when minus a couple pieces.

1D Gio etc.
1G Kip
1Cammalleri

You get that and the most physical, top fighting, top 5 scoring top 5 pk top checking team in the league can compete. And all it will cost is some picks and maybe some UFA's to get done.

Go Leafs Go!

You have every right to your opinion, but a person who posts the way you do about, for example, Cammalleri probably shouldn't call out other posters about a "Fanmance."

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
You have every right to your opinion, but a person who posts the way you do about, for example, Cammalleri probably shouldn't call out other posters about a "Fanmance."

Who else you going to get? Sign Bozak for the reported 5-6mil? One thing is for sure there are idiot fans old and young, people that don't understand anything about the game.

That man in Calgary is having a fire sale, Bozak is a slug infact the worst 1C in leafs history. You can get Cammy with 2yrs only on contract, he is available. You could possibly get a 2D in Gio and legit 1G in Kipper for a steal. WHY WOULD YOU SHOP ANYWHERE ELSE?! I want E. Staal, am I stupid enough to think we can get him? NO!

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Anyone watching the jays game. Luongo tweet. LOL

@strombone1: Maybe the Blue Jays need a goalie to catch RA Dickey? Just sayin.......

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
Explains part of what I was having trouble logic-ing out. It's a bit a balance really-He could retire this year or next (when he's 34) and it not be on the cap-Nonis could also use amnesty this year (after potential playoffs if he REALLY didn't like what he sees) or next.

However, if he gets 2 more years, into his 35/36 years, cap hit applies, and any buyout would go against cap so I think Nonis, this time next year-even if he has signed an extention-would have to take the time to decide if he amnesties him in the last avaliable year for it not to count. I think that would depend on how Kipper performs.

Kipper is already 36. There are no cap issues if he retires after this season because the term of his current contract is only 6 years. Kipper would play under this contract if he wants to play next season. If Kipper signs a new contract for the season after next, it will be a 35+ contract meaning that the team will be on the hook for the cap even if he decides to retire before playing under the new contract.

Predaleafs

Oct 7, 2009
Toronto
Kipper and why he`s a good idea.

TBH ive been reading multiple other threads about why he`s a mistake and i honestly dont think so.

1)Bringing him in helps take alot of pressure off Reimer and Scrivens.

We have been out of the post-season for a long time. With 9 years out of the post-season, barring any historical collapses there are going to be a massive amount of expectations on them and Reimer to do something. If he makes even one mistake he will be knocked down,( see.."Lets go Jays" chants amidst a 5 game losing streak.) and someone like Kipper can help calm him down.

2) Scrivens just isnt a star.

Honestly, i dont see where the love fest with him comes. He just isnt that great. He is a solid backup but i dont see him being a goaltender who can play months on end as the main guy. People can throw his stats around but he is playing in a good defensive system keeping shots out wide and blocking a whole lot. His game leaves things to be desired. He has trouble holding pucks and his rebounds arent the best.

3)Our goaltending depth is not that great.

Beyond JR/BS we dont have any good goalie. Rynnas is going back to Finland/Owuya years away we need a stopgate till: A- Scrivens is ready to push Reimer or B- We get another goalie who can do the same.

4) Could work out

We need a goalie to push Reimer. tried it with Monster,Giggy, Scrivens and Ben was the one who pushed him the best. A goalie who has been playing 65+ games for 6+ years brings experience as well as good enough numbers to push Reimer to be just that much better.

As long as it comes at the cost of a 3rd rounder or cheaper or maybe with Giodano then I would be very happy with it.

p.s Posting it in its own thread because i just read that Kipper says he has okay`ed a trade to Toronto aslong as he gets an extension.

GenericFan2*

Who else you going to get? Sign Bozak for the reported 5-6mil? One thing is for sure there are idiot fans old and young, people that don't understand anything about the game.

That man in Calgary is having a fire sale, Bozak is a slug infact the worst 1C in leafs history. You can get Cammy with 2yrs only on contract, he is available. You could possibly get a 2D in Gio and legit 1G in Kipper for a steal. WHY WOULD YOU SHOP ANYWHERE ELSE?! I want E. Staal, am I stupid enough to think we can get him? NO!
A slug? Wtf lol.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Nonnis won't risk his job...

On Luongo,he is looking for a smaller deal. I don't see Kipper upsetting any chemistry but who trades for Luongo(9 years) as a backup? It is funny, many who are proponents of a Luongo trade use the exact arguements that make him invalid reasons as to why Kipper is bad. A mere 3rd rounder may mean an extra round in the playoffs. No harm in that after 8 years out.

Last edited:

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

Bozak won't get more than 2.5

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
To Calgary:
Joe Colborne
Ben Scrivens
2nd in 2013

To Toronto:
Backlund
Kiprusoff

I'd also like to get Gio somehow...

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 1m

Tor and Van had additional discussions re: Luongo trade. Sounds like Canucks still want more than Leafs are willing to give.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 57s

But VAN still feel need to get something tangible for Luongo to help Canucks down stretch and into playoffs. Still may be an issue for TOR.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto

Tor and Van had additional discussions re: Luongo trade. Sounds like Canucks still want more than Leafs are willing to give.
I'd love it if that statement stayed permanently in the past tense. Okay, the tire has been kicked and found wanting. Nab Kipper or do nothing.

disgruntleddave

Aug 31, 2009
Canada

This terrifies me. I have the feeling that if we are willing to take on the contract in principle, a deal would be worked out and we'd get luongo before the deadline. Ugh.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
This terrifies me. I have the feeling that if we are willing to take on the contract in principle, a deal would be worked out and we'd get luongo before the deadline. Ugh.

I feel that this is the way we are leaning as well. Which means that a goalie has to go back and?

Nonis is playing both teams against each other.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Please do not post "insider info" unless you have been vetted by board administration.

From the board rules....

15) Outlandish claims of inside information: This is subjective and will be at the discretion of the moderator after consulting with other posters and other administrators. Deference will be given to veteran members who have established credibility. If you're an insider, contact us with proof BEFORE you post.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
And I for one will be demanding it!

So if we trade for Kipper you would demand that Nonis be fired?

What would be your reason?

Lou I can understand as his contract is a concern....me it is not that much of a concern but I could see the reason why.

Kipper I do not get as he will be cheap and not a long term answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad