Prospect Info: The Abnormal 2021 Draft Thread

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I was just going through past oiler drafts for interest sake, boy we have some real doozies of awfulness.

Lots of 1st round utter busts.

1990 draft we had 11 picks, not even one nhl game for the whole draft.....woof.

Defsta

Dec 1, 2004
If a goalie isn’t there I think I’m most interested in drafting Raty, I just feel he has the most potential of becoming a impactful forward even if he is a riskier pick.

He hasn't really been that good to be a 1st round pick in Finland and u want us to use another 1st rounder for forward from Kärpät?

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
If a goalie isn’t there I think I’m most interested in drafting Raty, I just feel he has the most potential of becoming a impactful forward even if he is a riskier pick.

A couple years ago he was definitely slotted to be in the top 5 of this draft. His offensive game is non existent at this point despite possessing all of the tools. If the goalies are off the board I wouldn't mind him as our pick as he simply just needs to figure it out at the pro level. If he does in fact figure it out then he's a top line center in the NHL.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
A couple years ago he was definitely slotted to be in the top 5 of this draft. His offensive game is non existent at this point despite possessing all of the tools. If the goalies are off the board I wouldn't mind him as our pick as he simply just needs to figure it out at the pro level. If he does in fact figure it out then he's a top line center in the NHL.

I didn't watch Kärpät closely enough during the rest of the season so I can't say much about it, but I was stunned by the way they handled Räty at the beginning of the season. I feel they pretty much set him to fail under those circumstances.

While I'm not freeing Räty from all the responsibility I think he definitely makes sense if he's still available. I guess the risk is there, though I think it's quite small in that draft position, but we are basically just a year away from him being seen as a top pick and I've personally seen what the circumstances at the beginning of the year were. I wouldn't be too shocked if he turned this around and even becomes a star player at the NHL level one day.

Reactions: McDoused

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
How to make a young player fail after a pretty strong preseason:
- very low ice time
- 4th line usage with pretty much the worst possible linemates
- everchanging linemates
-no much/any PP usage

That's how the ball started rolling. Even afetr scoring goals at a decent rate for the ice time there was no reward and in the end this usage IMO cost the place in the WJC-2 0 roster.

After that I don't know well enough to say much as I lost interest during the covid season and my interest has been driven towards the Oilers anyway. I did see him in lower lines (mainly 3rd) and felt I wanted to see him with better linemates, but no idea if he deserved more, very possibly not at that stage.

Having said that, another pretty good prospect Samu Tuomaala looked good and slimey in his first FEL games (though no points) so who knows how these turn out to be.

Reactions: snipes

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
I know very little about this draft aside from Cossa, so whoever we draft tomorrow.. I'd have to check what fans say about him here.
be careful which fans you listen too, remember the OUTRAGE at the 4th line grinder Holloway pick last year?

LOL i told everyone then oilers fans would love him

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Fans were excited about some prospects, especially getting Tullio at that stage so I wonder what's going on with the other prospects, are they still as exciting as they were at the time?

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
In Pronman’s last mock draft, he has the Oilers taking Zach Bolduc, but also mentions their interest in the goalies if they’re available.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
In Pronman’s last mock draft, he has the Oilers taking Zach Bolduc, but also mentions their interest in the goalies if they’re available.
People can recall he nailed the Oilers pick the last 2 years. He was one of the first to report the interest in Broberg, and had Holloway last year. But I think he’s a little less confident in his expected picks this year because of the unpredictable nature of the draft. He doesn’t even say he’s heard interest in the player, just thinks big skilled forwards won’t go past there. Does mention most teams think if Cossa or Walstedt survive this long they we will take them.

The Oilers pick has a tendency to leak… people can recall in 2017 it was reported pre draft they were hot and heavy for Yamamoto too

Defsta

Dec 1, 2004

I really hope Cossa is there, but chances are very slim. Wallstedt is definitely gone in top 10.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
The kinda nice thing is we should know early if Cossa is a possibility. If he’s still on the board after Chicago picks there’s a really good chance he’s there for the Oilers as every team between us has a higher end goalie prospect in their system already.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
be careful which fans you listen too, remember the OUTRAGE at the 4th line grinder Holloway pick last year?

LOL i told everyone then oilers fans would love him

I was team Holloway as well. Obviously I wanted someone to fall but he was my highest ranked player available and tried to tell people the NCAA is an adjustment and takes a while to figure out. He really started to produce once as the season went on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad