• 8-9

• 9-10

• 10-11

• 11-12

• 12+

Results are only viewable after voting.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
I hate polls that include the same # in 2 different options instead of 10.1-11, 11.1-12, .....

11M is my bet

Reactions: I am not exposed

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
6 years by 12 mil would make any team happy to get this player. 6 of his prime years is worth it, especially with the salary cap rising annually.

People do know that when someone say's 10 years x 88 million that means 88 million every year for 10 years right?

Last edited:

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
Without Doughty/Kopitar/Quick, the Kings are probably worse than last year's Avs.
With these three, the Kings are a perennial playoff bubble team.
With these three and a supporting cast, the Kings are a perennial cup contender.

Drew's worth it. I'd gladly offer Hamilton + Hamonic for him @ 10M
He's worth more than that.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
If I'm Kings or really anyone, I try him for 5/60 or 5/65. Little bit more money per year, but you're not locked into him till 36. I'd rather pay more for prime Doughty than be paying exiting his prime and long in the tooth Doughty 11M.

And if you look at it at 13M a year.

13,13,13,13,13 and then you try to resign him at 3/27 (as 33-36 year old Doughty will slow down and not be worth the same cash he is now. 9,9,9 = 92 total
11 x 8 = 88

Basically, you pay a $10M premium (2M AAV) up front to have flexibility for the last three years with possibility of making up that premium on the second part of the deal. I like the ability to walk away if his play doesn't sustain an 11M level at 34-36. Or to later on say, you've had a great career and we've been really fair to you, so give us a break on salary this time. Because you sign him for 7M as a mid 30s D, and all of a sudden, you're making out like bandits.

Crow

May 19, 2014
If I'm Kings or really anyone, I try him for 5/60 or 5/65. Little bit more money per year, but you're not locked into him till 36. I'd rather pay more for prime Doughty than be paying exiting his prime and long in the tooth Doughty 11M.

And if you look at it at 13M a year.

13,13,13,13,13 and then you try to resign him at 3/27 (as 33-36 year old Doughty will slow down and not be worth the same cash he is now. 9,9,9 = 92 total
11 x 8 = 88

Basically, you pay a $10M premium (2M AAV) up front to have flexibility for the last three years with possibility of making up that premium on the second part of the deal. I like the ability to walk away if his play doesn't sustain an 11M level at 34-36. Or to later on say, you've had a great career and we've been really fair to you, so give us a break on salary this time. Because you sign him for 7M as a mid 30s D, and all of a sudden, you're making out like bandits.
He would never do it. He doesn’t have to. He knows he will get max term and he knows he can get his contract front loaded. There is a time value to money.

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
I think drew doughty is easily a top 3 dman in the league but anyone else worried his play will have a drastic drop in future? He’s played a lot of tough hockey and I feel who ever signs him to a 7 or 8 year deal will regret the deal after 3 years.....

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I think drew doughty is easily a top 3 dman in the league but anyone else worried his play will have a drastic drop in future? He’s played a lot of tough hockey and I feel who ever signs him to a 7 or 8 year deal will regret the deal after 3 years.....

I do not know. He seems like the Neidermeyer, Chara type that can play high level till late 30s

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Why? his game is all brain, it's not predicated on physical gifts. He's not particularly fast, he's not particularly dangly, he's not particularly a hard shooter, he's just a fantastic anticipator and improvisor. Sure he bangs but he's surprisingly good at taking care of himself, part of the value that comes with him is playing an average of 80 regular season games a year (minus lockout year) at high minutes. Maybe you start limiting his minutes in 5 years or so, but to predict him to fall off in three? hm.

Reactions: KingTrouty

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
I know it's the Mayor (local Kings blogger) but he somehow has inside knowledge with contracts and team knowledge. He's also very good with the prospect side of the Kings and how the stack up in management eyes. He knew Kopitar was going to be named team Captain a year before it happened. He said Doughty's camp is looking for 14m a year and the Kings are wanting around 12m.

So good luck to anyone who wants to sign Doughty!

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
It will be the equivalent of Chara and Niedermayer hitting UFA if Doughty gets to free agency next summer. Doughty is arguably more accomplished than those two were at that point in their careers also

Those guys got huge deals (relative to the cap), and so will Doughty...I think it will be $11M at least

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad