• 11-12

• 12+

Results are only viewable after voting.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
1*dMXPW82zJ1wwjjEhhZj0KQ.jpeg

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I don't think DD is worth this kind of money. He can be the best Dman in the game. He can't do it alone. I don't think you can have a guy making that much on D. If he's your franchise player he's got to be the face of your team he's got to sell tickets. I don't feel like he does that. Maybe I'm wrong. But that is a lot of money for a long time. I don't think he maintains the ability that kind of cash calls for for that long. I wouldn't do it. I'd give you more money for less years. I would promise you a job for life in the organization. Hell it could be a do nothing PR gig, a scout, whatever. But this type of deal will result in buyers remorse for sure, IMO.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
I don't think DD is worth this kind of money. He can be the best Dman in the game. He can't do it alone. I don't think you can have a guy making that much on D. If he's your franchise player he's got to be the face of your team he's got to sell tickets. I don't feel like he does that. Maybe I'm wrong. But that is a lot of money for a long time. I don't think he maintains the ability that kind of cash calls for for that long. I wouldn't do it. I'd give you more money for less years. I would promise you a job for life in the organization. Hell it could be a do nothing PR gig, a scout, whatever. But this type of deal will result in buyers remorse for sure, IMO.

I would have to disagree. Doughty surely sells tickets. You don’t think having a top 3 defenseman on the team helps bring fans into the building. When you have the best of the best st their position you do everything you can to keep that player. If Drew signs a 8 yr 11 mil per he will be worth every penny and I feel with him being a total rink rat his game will stay at his high level throughout the contract. True #1 defenseman are hard to find top 5 at the position impossible to find. Lock them up every time.

Reactions: Rorschach

Toreko

Apr 3, 2018
Voted : 11-12
http://:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:/buluhidung/46/ground.png
http://:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:/buluhidung/67/f.png

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
The chatter was anything with an $11 in front would be considered a bargain. So I'm going $11+ million.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

Without Doughty/Kopitar/Quick, the Kings are probably worse than last year's Avs.
With these three, the Kings are a perennial playoff bubble team.
With these three and a supporting cast, the Kings are a perennial cup contender.

Drew's worth it. I'd gladly offer Hamilton + Hamonic for him @ 10M

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Tough one because he and Karlsson have both said that there will be no hometown discounts and they're going to get what they're worth on the open market. I suspect the cost of signing Doughty is going to be in the $12 million + range. I think he's going to end up getting $100 million over 8 years.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Chara going to Boston is the closest comparison we have if he goes on the market. Chara got over 17% of the cap and Bruins win a Cup. 12+ with today’s cap lines up.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I have said it before and I still believe it, that these type of deals are bad for everyone except the players agent. If you give any player 12m, you are betting that all variables go in your favor for the length of the deal. I don't believe in that. Things are not always going to go your way. By committing that much for that long you are putting far too many eggs in one basket for my liking. I would give him the money. I would not commit to the term. If the guy is your franchise player and cares about the team, he should meet you in the middle. Take the crazy dollars for a 3 or 4 year period and we can do this again at the end, or get this off your plate and take an 8 year deal that doesn't make you a boat anchor financially for the rest of your career. Assure the guy that if he gets hurt he's going to be taken care of by your team. It seems to me like the regret is almost instant with these long term deals. Look at Carey Price. The deal hasn't even kicked in and half the people are trying to move him.

Last edited:

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Subban signed his deal when he was 25 or something. Doughty is almost 30. As much as I like him as a player, hes not getting 10 a year from anywhere if wants a 8 year deal. Something like 72-75x8 could be done though.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I guess it's a gamble but teams never seem like they would tell the guy to go see what he can get and they'll match it. In the end I think these teams mostly bid against themselves. Who can just add a 12m player without losing anyone? More importantly who would actually do it? I think in the end it's less than we tend to think.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Won't be on the Kings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad