The 2024 TRADE DEADLINE Thread

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
What do you have against good hockey players?
I don’t think he’s worth the $ he’s gonna get and I’d prefer not to add another undersized guy to the top 6.

I think he’s a good hockey player but I am pretty skeptical he’s a 8 million dollar player. I’d rather let someone else pay him that and they can find out.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I’d love to have him too, but he’s got another year I think. I don’t expect St. Louis to trade him cheap.

Yeah, great players aren't cheap. Here's the latest from Army to speculate on:

"Like all of our players, he's eligible for a contract extension on July 1st," Armstrong said via Zoom on Friday. "There's no real rush to get the cart ahead of that horse. We're going to play the season out. Obviously he's been nothing but a pleasant player since he's been here. He's been a top player for us, he performs well every night, he's a player that has stature in the league and stature on our team. He's a valuable piece of our team right now and in July, we can sit down with he and his representative and make sure that he wants to be here and we can work something out."​

I think it's interesting he's saying "make sure he wants to be here" at this stage, so just something to keep an eye on. But he could just extend. If not though... players like him aren't growin' on trees.

Just trying to let folks disappointed by the deadline that this off-season should yield some interesting decisions and moves around the league and with the Wings. Long-term moves were always far more likely to come this summer than last week.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I don’t think he’s worth the $ he’s gonna get and I’d prefer not to add another undersized guy to the top 6.

I think he’s a good hockey player but I am pretty skeptical he’s a 8 million dollar player. I’d rather let someone else pay him that and they can find out.
They’re going to be sorry if and when they do pay him that. Think Toronto could do it? :naughty:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Well shoot, we got a 80-point player in Patty Kane then!

The big problem is that they're all zero players when Larkin is out. Plus this team is too slow and/or soft to make noise in the playoffs, and points won't reflect that. Vegas isn't a big team, but they play real gritty in the playoffs.

Fynn

Apr 23, 2017
The Wings need another center option to take the heat off Larkin and cover for him during injury. If you take Petterson off Vancouver, McDavid off Edmonton, Matthews off Toronto, those teams are all f***ed. We are no different, except that we have even worse center depth.

Our most important players have almost no experience in the playoffs, or even getting to the playoffs.

Our coach has no idea how to manage team mood and motivation. It seems like he always manages to find the absolute worst thing to say during press conferences.

Yzerman told the team he doesn't think they have a chance in the playoffs by making no moves to address obvious weaknesses.

All of these are a recipe for collapse. Yzerman is operating on a timeline that is years slower than what we want. It sucks but we can't do anything about it. He has no pressure because you can't fire Steve f***ing Yzerman in Detroit. Hopefully his plan works out.

Once Danielson and Kasper are on the team (I hope next year) we will hopefully have a true 2c on the roster. The nice thing about those guys is they both play with energy and grit and they are both leaders. None of our young guys have that. I think having them on the roster is going to transform the team. Unfortunately, it will take one of them 2-3 years to transform into that steady presence.
That was my feeling exactly about the trade deadline. The team was in a rough spot last year at the deadline, he decided to sell, and the team collapsed. Not saying he should have bought the farm, but just throw out a 3rd round draft pick or something, bring someone in just so the team knows you think they've got what it takes. He's basically saying to the team, you weren't worth investing anything in. Larkin wasn't hurt the first two games of this streak, and I don't think he was hurt when they collapsed in Ottawa last year.

Reactions: DamonDRW

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Draft position is irrelevant and to be fair nobody said anything to the contrary...

Typically players with awards and trophies also produced big numbers and not many teams ever win w/o any teammates who produce...

The discussion was about what the team needs in order to win(or hope to win) and the debate is about how and when SY and co manage to meet those needs.. nobody said our prospects arent good...they are...but it's going to be 5 more years before Kasper, Danielson or Edvinsson are reliable elite producing players or Cossa is a high end #1 goalie..that's not meant to slight them or doubt them but rather an honest evaluation of how hard it is to achieve that status in the NHL..
I agree draft overall number is irrelevant but i've seen numerous post where people has said "you need stars to win and we need top-3 pick to get stars". Yet no one really seems to have a answer how do you define stars. Very few of them are stars before they even play in the NHL and some pops up out of nowhere. I think people are way too impatient, we have great prospect pool and there could be a star or two in it. But crying after stars at this point is futile imo, since our best prospects ain't even in NHL yet and naturally every player has it's own adjustment period.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I agree draft overall number is irrelevant but i've seen numerous post where people has said "you need stars to win and we need top-3 pick to get stars". Yet no one really seems to have a answer how do you define stars. Very few of them are stars before they even play in the NHL and some pops up out of nowhere. I think people are way too impatient, we have great prospect pool and there could be a star or two in it. But crying after stars at this point is futile imo, since our best prospects ain't even in NHL yet and naturally every player has it's own adjustment period.
100% I guess the debate is such...are our prospects future stars and if it takes on avg. 300 to 400 NHL games to reach that level (outside of top 3 drafted/generational players) what do we do in the meantime (300 to 400 games equals another 4 to 5 years for those currently in the CHL/AHL/Europe) and should they not reach that level of play, it'll have been 10 years under SY tutelage so what then?

This seems to be the basis of the conversation...start making "some" moves(trades) now vs wait for SE, Kasper, ASP, Danielson and Cossa to hopefully become that level of player...its a great debate and position to be in I think

Reactions: SantosHalper

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Lalonde said Berggren could be our deadline acquisition. Big loss to GR

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I think we gotta let the 2c ride and not fill it. We drafted Kasper and D dude to grow into
our top 6 spots as Larks starts to age regress. The problem with another ufa 2c option is it will cost 6-8 per and probably be no less than a 5 year contract to sign them. Compher and Copp as comparable at least I'm duration of the contract. But you could have to bite the bullet and sign a 6-7 year contract to a late 20's early 30's type non elite player. So 2-3 years into the deal they start to regress and know your looking at 3 long deals for people who get moved over to winger when the kids get worked in.

Compher probably would have a better chance to be moved of the 3 because of SC pedigree but I don't think copp has much value without retaining and sending X the other way Ala pick or say a B prospect. So with that we would overflow the roster with planned obsolescence and it would tie up too much cap into secondary pieces.

So I think we kinda have to accept a hole in the roster (#2c) until one of our young guys fills the hole. I wish we could change it, but I think that's the long term plan going forward. Hopefully one of our two young center prospects make the team next year and starts to learn the lessons needed to be a nhl center.

Reactions: Bench

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3