Prospect Info: The 2024 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Which player are you most looking forward to?

• Cole Hutson, LD [USNTDP, USHL]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Artyom Levshunov, RD [Michigan State Spartans, NCAA]

• Zayne Parekh, RD [Saginaw Spirit, OHL]

• Total voters

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah, Zeev has to be the Landeskog of this draft in terms of being the biggest riser out of nowhere and earning it (though both started the season as low second-rounders on some lists). Had a ridiculous game today in the finals, and I could see a team absolutely love him in the top 5-7. Not sure if he has top 5 talent, but at this point, you can't really say no. He's been on an upward trajectory ever since 2024.
His skating is the big question to me… and I think his IQ is just so much better than most to where it won’t be a huge issue. A lot of Fox in the what he plays and produces.

I don’t think his skating is as bad as people think, but it is really ugly. I think there is a good enough base to refine the stride and get rid of some choppiness. Do that and create some explosion, I think he’d end up a high end skater. It’ll take 3-4 years to rework the stride, if it can even be done.

Reactions: S E P H

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
Who are we wanting in the 1st? Probably just go BPA, but I think it would be good stock up on LHD again.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Yeah, we're still in the all-in phase right now. I'm not categorically opposed to using the pick, but if there's an offer on the table that will make the team better in the short/medium term CMac shouldn't be afraid to trade it. Last year seemingly there wasn't a trade offer that made sense, so we used the picks, but if there's something at the draft this year it doesn't make sense to turn it down just to hang on to a pick that more likely than not isn't going to even hit.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Saros is pretty great
I'm just not sure we're going to be able to win a bidding war for a goalie of that level given the situation around the league. When the price Ottawa and New Jersey are willing to pay is "anything", I don't know how CMac is going to be able to outbid them if Saros went onto the trade market. Our late 1st+Ritchie wouldn't be enough to win, because those teams would just keep adding 1sts and prospects until we gave up.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Cole Eiserman down to 12 for NA skaters on Central Scoutings final list. That's crazy to me. It's like being mad at the 40 home run hitter for striking out too much.

Also have no idea why you would put out a final list before the season is even over.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
This is what Kimelman and Morreales (NHL.com) think the Avalanche will do in the first round of the upcoming NHL at #27.

Kimelman -- Charlie Stramel, C, Wisconsin (NCAA):
Stramel (6-3, 212) didn't score as expected as a college freshman, with 12 points (five goals, seven assists) in 33 games. But his size, strength and athleticism, combined with Wisconsin's struggles this season, make it feel like a one-off bad season. The Avalanche need better skilled depth through the middle, and Stramel should be able to provide it.

Morreale -- David Edstrom: Edstrom is an effective passer and playmaker with good hands and puck protection. He was reliable, used on special teams, and plays a strong two-way game.
That’s last year

LTCPain75

Jul 12, 2022
Any doubt that the Avs will draft a goalie in the upcoming draft? Or find another jewel, like Frankie, in the KHL?

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Any doubt that the Avs will draft a goalie in the upcoming draft? Or find another jewel, like Frankie, in the KHL?
If they do draft a goalie, it will almost certainly be in round 6 or 7, and if we're lucky they will be useful organizational depth like Miner.

I've said it before, but I don't think the Avs scouts trust themselves to evaluate goalies, so they're hesitant to invest any valuable draft capital on that position, especially not if there are still skaters on the board that they like. I think their strategy is to try to hit on a skater, and then maybe you can trade that guy for a more developed goalie later on. I don't think the org places a ton of value on goalies at the draft table.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad