GDT: The 2023 NHL Trade Deadline Thread | March 3rd | 3:00 pm ET

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
We'll see if he's right. A lot has to change between now and April. Flipping the switch doesn't happen overnight, and we have to be ready earlier against the Leafs this year.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
No Karlsson/Hedman reunion again?

Screen_Shot_2018_01_27_at_5.48.17_PM.png

PENGUING_CRYING_ICECUBES.gif

Fire JBB.

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL
JBB clearly has a league wide reputation for overpaying.
I'm sure he does, but he has only ever been a GM for a team in win-now mode and when in that mode you tend to overpay. When the inevitable rebuild comes and if he is still the GM, then we'll see if he is as spendthrifty.

And it's not like we can argue with the results.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
I mean JBB has the poise and insight we don't have. For perspective, maybe if you switch the last dozen games with the 20 prior, we don't seem so overly concerned about getting a defenseman. Maybe we still want one, but not at the same yearning right now. As of how we are playing right now, yeah, it's ugly and I would say we needed a dman and not a #7 but a regular. Unfortunately we couldn't so we have to hope pairings and mistakes get ironed out.

Even then, I'm not sure how lethal our boys will be against these juggernauts. I don't want to be negative but if there's been one year out of the last 5, spanning from the sweep, b2b, last year and this one, I'd say we get our asses absolutely blasted. I hope they prove us again but I feel the skimmed and trimmed version of last year is inferior and won't get it done. ESPECIALLY, if Vasy is off at all.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
I mean JBB has the poise and insight we don't have. For perspective, maybe if you switch the last dozen games with the 20 prior, we don't seem so overly concerned about getting a defenseman. Maybe we still want one, but not at the same yearning right now. As of how we are playing right now, yeah, it's ugly and I would say we needed a dman and not a #7 but a regular. Unfortunately we couldn't so we have to hope pairings and mistakes get ironed out.

Even then, I'm not sure how lethal our boys will be against these juggernauts. I don't want to be negative but if there's been one year out of the last 5, spanning from the sweep, b2b, last year and this one, I'd say we get our asses absolutely blasted. I hope they prove us again but I feel the skimmed and trimmed version of last year is inferior and won't get it done. ESPECIALLY, if Vasy is off at all.
JBB has earned my trust. Even if I think this has been a bit underwhelming, I'll let it play out longterm before I judge completely.

As for the other teams: yes, I think we're gonna get merked. That said, its not like Toronto and the Rangers haven't been losing too. They're all losing some games. So nobody is invincible - even Boston.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Vasi is the ultimate solution to our problems if he is god vasi and we get scoring. I mean we've had it worse and I get it the other teams look really good. I guess we will see how it goes?

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa
Vasi is the ultimate solution to our problems if he is god vasi and we get scoring. I mean we've had it worse and I get it the other teams look really good. I guess we will see how it goes?
Yeah, no easing into the playoffs. He has to be a brick wall from very outset or this team is most likely toast. If he's on, fantastic, but it's going to be difficult watching games like the Detroit one the other night and that level of play every game isn't sustainable.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
JBB mentions Raddysh and Myers again like he did after the Jeannot trade, but why not get a look at Declan Carlile? He’s tied for 4th in the AHL with a +22 as a rookie. I thought he showed pretty well during the prospect tournament, especially in comparison to Perbix. He’s not a righty, but at this point you have to go with the best player available vs who’s what handed. Going back to last season, you know what you have in Raddysh. You know what Myers can do too. Why not see what Carlile can do while we have the chance?

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
I didn’t expect anything major, but thought one 3rd pairing depth d was more than doable. After seeing what Kulikov went for, it’s disappointing that Tampa wouldn’t offer the ‘24 3rd+Bellemare for him. Maybe Anaheim would’ve declined if they wanted the extra term that McGinn had from Pit, but it sounds like JBB wasn’t interested.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
sure if you just count the amount of picks but most of those are worthless. ottawa’s first alone is worth more than everything we traded combined
Maybe if it was an unconditional 1st and Ottawa sucked. There isn’t even a guarantee that we finish better than them this year let alone three years from now when a chunk of our core is on the wrong end of the bell curve

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL
Maybe if it was an unconditional 1st and Ottawa sucked. There isn’t even a guarantee that we finish better than them this year let alone three years from now when a chunk of our core is on the wrong end of the bell curve
OK, you didn't like the trade, but what's your larger point? You seem to be trying to make one. Guarantees and bell curves and we may not be better than Ottawa even now. Are you advocating that we start tanking now?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Toronto into Boston then possibly New York is absolutely insane. The finals should be a walk in the park though.

• Haha
Reactions: Maple Leaf

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
OK, you didn't like the trade, but what's your larger point? You seem to be trying to make one. Guarantees and bell curves and we may not be better than Ottawa even now. Are you advocating that we start tanking now?

You got out of that, that I think we should tank? Really.

We paid more for a bottom 6 forward than Ottawa paid for a #1 defenseman. Is the point not self evident? I’ll bite

The implication is that our team has been constructed so well that we can afford to overpay for a low impact position. You can agree or disagree with that but it should facilitate a discussion. With the defensive lapses over the course of the year and recent play I think it is worth noting that the opportunity was there for us to address defense but JBB went in a more unorthodox direction, which should add extra scrutiny if he gets it wrong.

That’s it, do you need something more profound than that?

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Aren't we typically disappointed or skeptical at the deadline?

2012 - Downie for 1st round pick
2013 - Conacher for Bishop
2014 - St. Louis for Callahan and picks
2017 - Bish for Cernak
2018 - picks/prospects for McD and Miller
2020 - Goodrow and Coleman
2021 - pick for Savard
2022 - Joseph for Nick Paul

The ones we were probably the most excited about were Savard and Paul. The McD deal was another one, but there was a ton of hesitancy here that they had traded away the future. Names, Howden, Hajek, and picks.

In 2017, Vasy wasn't the unanimous choice for goalie. Bish seemed to have some tread left on his tires.

2022 was more about relief that they had moved on from Joseph, than anything to do with the return.

2020 was the deadline where many just didn't 'get' what the Lightning were trying to do yet, and the deals seemed somewhat inconsequential. The Lightning didn't do anything for 2019, so not making a deadline move was seen as okay, or even preferable.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Aren't we typically disappointed or skeptical at the deadline?

2012 - Downie for 1st round pick
2013 - Conacher for Bishop
2014 - St. Louis for Callahan and picks
2017 - Bish for Cernak
2018 - picks/prospects for McD and Miller
2020 - Goodrow and Coleman
2021 - pick for Savard
2022 - Joseph for Nick Paul

The ones we were probably the most excited about were Savard and Paul. The McD deal was another one, but there was a ton of hesitancy here that they had traded away the future. Names, Howden, Hajek, and picks.

In 2017, Vasy wasn't the unanimous choice for goalie. Bish seemed to have some tread left on his tires.

2022 was more about relief that they had moved on from Joseph, than anything to do with the return.

2020 was the deadline where many just didn't 'get' what the Lightning were trying to do yet, and the deals seemed somewhat inconsequential. The Lightning didn't do anything for 2019, so not making a deadline move was seen as okay, or even preferable.
A+ effort
A- format

Solid analysis. FP in prime form.

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL
You got out of that, that I think we should tank? Really.

We paid more for a bottom 6 forward than Ottawa paid for a #1 defenseman. Is the point not self evident? I’ll bite

The implication is that our team has been constructed so well that we can afford to overpay for a low impact position. You can agree or disagree with that but it should facilitate a discussion. With the defensive lapses over the course of the year and recent play I think it is worth noting that the opportunity was there for us to address defense but JBB went in a more unorthodox direction, which should add extra scrutiny if he gets it wrong.

That’s it, do you need something more profound than that?
It's not profound at all and I don't think too many people, including JBB, have come to the bolded conclusion. Despite any public statements of confidence, which is part of his job whether he believes what he is saying or not, JBB knows that we're on the back side of the bell curve you mention. He believes that we're still near the top of it, but we're definitely on the back side and TJ trade or not, we were still going to be on the backside with no path back to the other side any time soon. In short, this is not a team that is building toward something, it is a team that is trying to hold on to what it is and has been for as long as it can. So what JBB did was make a choice that he thinks can help the team win now and it really didn't matter if he overpaid or not because the future is already set and future is the backside of the bell curve. You said so yourself.

As for your assertions about JBB's ability to get defensive help and how apparently easy that would have been, you don't have the first clue either as to what opportunities were available to the TB Lightning, not to other teams, and a what price.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
How much difference would a depth d-man have made anyways? Unless you're getting a McDonagh type work horse eating 23minutes a night or a Rutta who knows how to play in the system perfectly, adding another 5-7 Dman that needs time to adjust isn't going to do anything. The Savard trade was a big waste of assets, the guy stunk for 95% of his time here and got outplayed by Schenn.

The personnel is not that bad, they just need to clamp up systematically.

It’s the Hagel trade all over again, man.

So he'll be useless all playoffs and be ready for next regular season?

Reactions: Rschmitz

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
How much difference would a depth d-man have made anyways? Unless you're getting a McDonagh type work horse eating 23minutes a night or a Rutta who knows how to play in the system perfectly, adding another 5-7 Dman that needs time to adjust isn't going to do anything. The Savard trade was a big waste of assets, the guy stunk for 95% of his time here and got outplayed by Schenn.

The personnel is not that bad, they just need to clamp up systematically.

So he'll be useless all playoffs and be ready for next regular season?
Yep,if u look at our D core ,we have 3 top2 defenders,2 top 4 defenders and Perbix. Guys suck now becailuse they are out of gas,and march will be destroying
Otherwise our D core is really really good,i dont think there are a lot of teams with 5 top 4 defenders and great young talent.
Yes i think that Bogo when healthy is top 4 dofender.
We arent worse than Toronto or any team in NHL. But we are gassed. I really hope guys will find 3rd 4th 5th breath and will get the cup this year,because on paper we are one of the biggest contenders :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad