Prospect Info: The 2022 Draft Thread

Most Disappointing 1st Round Blunder under the Holland Draft Regime

• Passing on Zegras

• Passing on Wallstedt

Results are only viewable after voting.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Any goalies this year we can pass on and trade down? Was very entertaining watching some people lose their minds last year.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Any goalies this year we can pass on and trade down? Was very entertaining watching some people lose their minds last year.
There are no goalies worth spit this year at all. Unlike last year when a prime prospect fell wight into our laps.

Was it fun watching people get mad at reinhart for two high picks or people get mad at not taking zegras when he fell into our laps?

Last edited:

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I haven't followed this draft, but I know it's said to be a weak draft and from past experience with other weak draft years I find leaning a bit harder into D & G seems to be a good strategy, there will ofcourse be some sleeper forwards, but it just seems like the more impactufl players in bad drafts tend to be the D & the G.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Using McKenzie's rankings, my current "realistic" dream heading into the first round is Miroshnichenko (19) or Mateychuk (24) falling. Really hoping the Russian factor looms large and we can snag a dropping Miroshnichenko.

I would be okay with whatever is there for us at 29th, but I'm favouring defenseman in the area, Chesley (25), Bischel (26), Rinzel (31), Luneau (32). I imagine we'll see a trade down, in which case, swing for the fences with Hutson (40), Warren (41), or Schaefer (37). I read Pronman's latest mock and he has Brad Lambert falling to the Oilers. That'd be something.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Using McKenzie's rankings, my current "realistic" dream heading into the first round is Miroshnichenko (19) or Mateychuk (24) falling. Really hoping the Russian factor looms large and we can snag a dropping Miroshnichenko.

I would be okay with whatever is there for us at 29th, but I'm favouring defenseman in the area, Chesley (25), Bischel (26), Rinzel (31), Luneau (32). I imagine we'll see a trade down, in which case, swing for the fences with Hutson (40), Warren (41), or Schaefer (37). I read Pronman's latest mock and he has Brad Lambert falling to the Oilers. That'd be something.

Haha that's the dream. I still think he'll end up as one of the best players from this draft class.

This would be a cool thing to have down with Bourgault in Montreal.

Holloway's draft in 2020 was also virtual, was it not?

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017

I could see Holland liking Rinzel actually, that’s a name I haven’t considered. Ditto with Odelius, and I don’t think either would be a bad pick. We all know he likes his D big.

Mateychuk is the dream. Chesley, Bichsel, and McGroarty are my other semi-realistic targets, but I don’t think any of them fall.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I could see Holland liking Rinzel actually, that’s a name I haven’t considered. Ditto with Odelius, and I don’t think either would be a bad pick. We all know he likes his D big.

Mateychuk is the dream. Chesley, Bichsel, and McGroarty are my other semi-realistic targets, but I don’t think any of them fall.

Sam Rinzel is one of those unicorns that looks fantastic in high school that you never really know how they will turn out. Reminds me of Scott Morrow from last year going 40th. He's had an incredible season in NCAA and looks like a great pick.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
No thanks to Rinzel.

He's one of those guys who is 4-5 years out from even hitting the AHL. Way too much volatility.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
I didn't pay attention to this draft this year b/c we actually played games into June for once. Can you guys familiarize me with some info regarding potential targets with certain traits projected to go near our pick?

My personal preference on traits: hockey IQ (especially positioning, vision, and knowing where the puck is going to go)>skating (not just speed, agility, turns, strong on skates etc as well)>playmaking ability>puck skills>strength (both for puck protection and winning puck battles, don't care about size)>shot
Traits I don't care about: character, leadership, heart/compete level, and intangibles in general

Hopefully that helps with narrowing down the players lol.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I think Snuggerud goes surprisingly high today, potentially top-15. Not the most exciting guy but very projectable, could be a nice complementary piece in a top-6.

Reactions: McDoused

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
I don't know anything about him, but based on this alone, I'm now hoping Snuggerud falls.

Great hockey IQ, reads, and anticipation.

But WHERE ARE THE GOALS HIGHLIGHTS? :sarcasm:

jk I was pulling my hair between selecting him and Odelius in our Mock Draft. Went with Odelius but a lot mental gymnastics before I made the decision.

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
I think Snuggerud goes surprisingly high today, potentially top-15. Not the most exciting guy but very projectable, could be a nice complementary piece in a top-6.
Place of Birth: Chaska, MN, USA

I'm expecting Minny to pick him with one of TWO picks in the first round at 19 and 24.

Reactions: McDoused

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I wish we had more options to choose in the poll.
I'm not yet convinced that we're not getting exactly what we need in Broberg.
There's a chance that we end up getting a ton of value out of both Broberg and Bouchard.
Who cares which pick could have been who. We've known for generations that Edmonton's never known for drafting great d-men for many, many years. To break the cycle is an amazing omen for the franchise, IMO.

I have no clue who we should be drafting because I haven't paid enough attention to prospects this year. Not 1/10 as much as I usually did in the past 10 drafts. I'll be looking into the player we got and I'll probably be spending a fair amount of time looking at the guys that got drafted in the 1st round, but don't have any strong opinions on this draft. Just expect us to do a good job of identifying the best player available and draft him....

If we ended up trading our pick for something that gets us in a much better position for the next few years, I'm for it.

No interest in moving up in the draft.

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
If we keep the pick- which I repeat we should not do if it can be moved for someone who can help right now- I at least hope it's a swing on someone with home run upside like Jagger Firkus or Alexander Perevalov and not a "safe" or "projectable" player.

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
Big ‘ol F for this draft class all the way around. No player that executed at a high level despite some flaws in their game- just a bunch of big, physical bodies without much in the way of results versus their peers. Hard to win in today’s league when you draft like that.

• Haha
Reactions: MessierII

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad