Prospect Info: The 2022 Draft Thread

Most Disappointing 1st Round Blunder under the Holland Draft Regime

• Passing on Zegras

• Passing on Wallstedt

Results are only viewable after voting.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Assuming we keep the pick and we look at Bob's list - I see a lot of guys that I would be extremely happy with:

25. Chesley - 6'0.5" 201bs RD

I've seen Chesley all over the place. I think whoever takes him will get a solid defenceman for a lot of years. The more you watch him, the move you appreciate his edges, hockey IQ and ability to make the right play. I could see him turning into a Ryan McDonaugh type.

26. Bichsel - 6'5.5" 225lbs LD

I don't expect Bichsel to be around with our pick given his size and untapped offensive potential. Bichsel could be this years Moritz Seider light. Seider didn't exactly have the best of numbers in the DEL either. Bichsel is a great skater for his size, plays a physical game and can move the puck surprisingly well. The young Swiss player has some flashes of Darnell Nurse in his game. If you want to try and hit a homerun, this is a pick. My guess is Anaheim snags him with their pick at 22.

27. McGroarty - 6'1" 204lbs LC

If McGroarty can work on his speed and skating, watch out. This kids shot is LETHAL. In addition to having one the best names in the draft, Rutger put up just stupid numbers in his career so far. He reminds me a bit of Bo Horvat but I could see him putting up better NHL numbers if he figures it out all. I think he has a pretty high ceiling but still some untapped potential here.

-----------

That Leaves us with the following:

28. Nathan Gaucher - 6'3" 207lbs RC
I don't mind Gaucher but I think he tops out as a 3rd line center and reminds me of Adam Lowry. Maybe thats too harsh but I don't know if I see the upside but overall a very safe pick. Wouldn't hate the pick as right hand centers are always nice to have and something the Oilers are missing. I see him more of an early second but wouldn't be surprised if hes the guy we grab given that this isn't exactly a strong draft.

29. Luca Del Bel Belluz - 6'0.5" 17lbs LC
I'd rather have Owen Beck if I'm being honest. Del Bel Belluz has had a productive season but plays a cerebral game that I'm not sure it translates very well to the NHL level. He seems slow to me and doesn't really seem like he has enough gas in the tank to make the NHL as a top 6 forward. I guess I just don't see how he fits into the Oilers at this point.

30. Filip Mesar - 5'9.5" 174lbs RW
Impressed early but he really looked small against men. I don't know how much he improved this year playing against harder competition. My fear is that hes too small and becomes a perimeter powerplay guy. Super skilled and fun to watch at times though, just not sure we need another smallish RW.

31. Sam Rinzel - 6'3.75" 180lbs RD
I'm always impressed with these guys at the high school level and say to myself that they check all the boxes. Unfortunately these big defenceman from high school seem to rarely pan out. Not sure it's worth the risk in the 1st.

32. Tristan Luneau - 6'1.5" 189lbs RD
Steady guy that I think is flying under the radar a bit. He's a big RHD that I think plays a 4-5 role in the NHL. Wouldn't be the worst pick but not a really sexy pick either. I would be okay with Luneau but I do think their are more talented players around. Should be a nice complimentary player

-----------

Overall not too happy with what would be here based on Bob's rankings. Other players available are:

33. Owen Beck
34. Jagger Firkus
36. Calle Odelius
40. Lane Hutson

Beck would be okay the same way Gaucher would be but neither would be my 1st choice. Firkus probably isn't a Holland pick given his size but you never know. Odelius would be a great pick. Hutson I love but he is a huge gamble for a team that doesn't pick again until the 5th round.

Don’t forget Ty Nelson.

Right shot, has good skill. Played with Petrov this year, so the scouting staff would have gotten lots of looks at him.

Firkus, Hutson, and Nelson all seem like undersized but high upside draft picks. Lorenz is interesting as well, he’s got some good size and is following the Holloway path from the Okotoks Oilers to the Wisconsin Badgers.

Chesley is a safe pick and has good potential. My hopes for Bischel seem like a long shot, he’ll be drafted way before we pick.

The real wild card here is Brad Lambert, he’s projected to fall and would be a very interesting player to take a flyer on if he’s available.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Don’t forget Ty Nelson.

Right shot, has good skill. Played with Petrov this year, so the scouting staff would have gotten lots of looks at him.

Firkus, Hutson, and Nelson all seem like undersized but high upside draft picks. Lorenz is interesting as well, he’s got some good size and is following the Holloway path from the Okotoks Oilers to the Wisconsin Badgers.

Chesley is a safe pick and has good potential. My hopes for Bischel seem like a long shot, he’ll be drafted way before we pick.

The real wild card here is Brad Lambert, he’s projected to fall and would be a very interesting player to take a flyer on if he’s available.
I didnt forget about him. Big no thank you for drafting Nelson in the 1st round.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Marco Kasper drafted in the CHL import draft by the Ottawa 67s. Things that make you go hmmm.

Reactions: McDoused

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
What don’t you like about his game?

For me hes a late 2nd early 3 type of player. Brock Otten is a guy I trust a lot for OHL players. He has him ranked 8th in the OHl way behind Beck, DelBelBelluz, Sapovaliv and Ludwinski. Here is what Brock Otten says:

Tale of three seasons for Nelson. He started the year extremely well and I believed that he had a chance of being a first round pick. Then he really struggled in the second half of the OHL regular season and seemed to lose all confidence in his offensive abilities. This was followed up by a very strong performance in this year's OHL playoffs, where he helped North Bay reach the East finals. So what do we make of all of this? Honestly, much like LDBB, I'm a little flummoxed. The four way mobility is a major positive. The shot is one of the best in this draft class. His breakout pass is excellent and he has great scanning habits with the puck. His physical intensity level is extremely admirable given his lack of height (but not width; Nelson is built like a brick **** house). He has the makings of being a very good two-way defender. There are just a lot of application issues that I see that I think could limit his potential if not corrected. He has some bad habits when defending in transition. He gets caught flat footed a lot, way more than he should given his strong mobility. This leads to a lot of blow-byes and penalties against. His footwork inside the offensive zone isn't terrific either. He has this booming shot, but he does not clear space for himself well enough by using his edges. He's just too stagnant running the point right now and he needs to do a better job of using space inside the offensive zone. This is something that all elite powerplay QB's do to help break down coverage and he does not have those habits yet at a consistent level. Late in the year, when Nelson seemed to lose his confidence, he wasn't even taking chances offensively either. Lots of dump ins and low percentage plays, even though he has the skill to try to make plays. Given how many puck moving defenders eligible this year had terrific second half performances (Korchinski, Havelid, Rinzel, etc), it's going to be tough for Nelson to find a spot inside the Top 45 or so IMO.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Based on McKenzie's list, there are a few potential fallers that I think would be excellent picks at 29. Noah Ostlund (22nd), Denton Mateychuk (24th), Ryan Chesley (25th), Lian Bichsel (26th), and Rutger McGroarty (27th) could all be great fits. Not too confident any of them fall to our pick, but a man can dream.

Otherwise, I think this could be a decent opportunity to trade down—especially if we're able to gamble on Lane Hutson.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Great to see a high skill Western Canadian kid. A peek at Jagger Firkus.

Though I don't see the Oilers going small skill if they keep their late first round pick.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
For me hes a late 2nd early 3 type of player. Brock Otten is a guy I trust a lot for OHL players. He has him ranked 8th in the OHl way behind Beck, DelBelBelluz, Sapovaliv and Ludwinski. Here is what Brock Otten says:

Tale of three seasons for Nelson. He started the year extremely well and I believed that he had a chance of being a first round pick. Then he really struggled in the second half of the OHL regular season and seemed to lose all confidence in his offensive abilities. This was followed up by a very strong performance in this year's OHL playoffs, where he helped North Bay reach the East finals. So what do we make of all of this? Honestly, much like LDBB, I'm a little flummoxed. The four way mobility is a major positive. The shot is one of the best in this draft class. His breakout pass is excellent and he has great scanning habits with the puck. His physical intensity level is extremely admirable given his lack of height (but not width; Nelson is built like a brick **** house). He has the makings of being a very good two-way defender. There are just a lot of application issues that I see that I think could limit his potential if not corrected. He has some bad habits when defending in transition. He gets caught flat footed a lot, way more than he should given his strong mobility. This leads to a lot of blow-byes and penalties against. His footwork inside the offensive zone isn't terrific either. He has this booming shot, but he does not clear space for himself well enough by using his edges. He's just too stagnant running the point right now and he needs to do a better job of using space inside the offensive zone. This is something that all elite powerplay QB's do to help break down coverage and he does not have those habits yet at a consistent level. Late in the year, when Nelson seemed to lose his confidence, he wasn't even taking chances offensively either. Lots of dump ins and low percentage plays, even though he has the skill to try to make plays. Given how many puck moving defenders eligible this year had terrific second half performances (Korchinski, Havelid, Rinzel, etc), it's going to be tough for Nelson to find a spot inside the Top 45 or so IMO.

This is the reason I have no problem trading back into the 40s and picking up a 3rd. Particularly if they drafting D. I see Nelson as a more skilled and rounded defenseman than a guy like Luneau. If he's falling back for any reason, go get the extra asset.

Nelson's game falling off midseason falls into the range where North Bay ran into injury problems. Tnias Mathurin missed a significant amount of time and both Kyle Jackson and Liam Arnsby missed time. The team was struggling without their two top centers.

I agree there are concerns about what Nelson is at the NHL level, but I believe his talent level is extremely high and he's got the toolkit and work ethic where I believe he'll improve on the weaknesses in his game.

The only way I stay at 29 is if the Russian or Lambert falls.

Reactions: scott57

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Craig Button has the Oilers taking Reid Schaefer in his mock

(whoever Reid is)

Reactions: McAsuno

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Yeah, I'll echo a few other posters -- if they trade down I hope they use it to pick Hutson, an offensive dynamo on the back end who skates extremely well but also demonstrated committment to his own zone first. He's very small at 5'8" currently but it's not entirely unprecedented to see small guys like that find success as D in the NHL.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
Scouching's got the Oilers picking Tristan Luneau based on Gut (left) and Jack Hughes going by Brain (right). I have it timestamped to show the Oilers pick.

Reactions: McDoused

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Here's my personal top 125:

1) Juraj Slafkovsky
2) Logan Cooley
3) Shane Wright
4) David Jiricek
5) Denton Mateychuk
6) Kevin Korchinski
7) Simon Nemec
8) Jonathan Lekkerimaki
9) Frank Nazar
10) Jiri Kulich
11) Lane Hutson
12) Conor Geekie
13) Joakim Kemell
14) Noah Ostlund
15) Danila Yurov
16) Marco Kasper
17) Rutger McGroarty
18) Calle Odelius
19) Liam Ohgren
20) Cutter Gauthier
21) Jagger Firkus
22) Matt Savoie
23) Mattias Havelid
24) Pavel Mintyukov
25) Lian Bicshel
26) Jani Nyman
27) Ivan Miroshnichenko
28) Isaac Howard
29) Ryan Chesley
30) Brad Lambert
31) Elias Salamonsson
32) Arseni Koromyslov
33) Noah Warren
34) Jimmy Snuggerud
35) Sam Rinzel
36) Jack Hughes
37) Owen Beck
38) Julien Lutz
39) Filip Mesar
40) Filip Nordberg
41) Ty Nelson
42) Michael Fisher
43) Owen Pickering
44) Jack Devine
45) George Fegaras
46) Gleb Trikozov
47) Vladimir Grudinin
48) Luca Del Bel Belluz
49) Dylan James
50) Adam Sykora
51) Nathan Gaucher
52) Alexander Perevalov
53) Vincenz Rohrer
54) Cruz Lucius
55) Viktor Neuchev
56) David Goyette
57) Josh Filmon
58) Miko Matikka
59) Alex Bump
60) Liam Steele
61) Jake Furlong
62) Artyom Duda
63) Matyas Sapovaliv
64) Servac Petrovsky
65) Jordan Dumais
66) Elias Pettersson
67) Rieger Lorenz
68) Spencer Sova
69) Ryan Healey
70) Dmitri Buchelnkikov
71) Simon Forsmark
72) Tomas Hamara
73) Seamus Casey
74) Cole Spicer
75) Ludvig Jansson
76) Mats Lindgren
77) Otto Salin
78) Zach Bookman
79) Paul Ludwinski
80) Filip Bystedt
81) Jere Lassila
82) Maverick Lamoreux
83) Brandon Lisowsky
84) Matthew Seminoff
85) Kasper Kulonummi
86) Gavin Hayes
87) Fabian Wagner
88) Tristan Luneau
89) Charlie Leddy
90) Aleksanteri Kaskimaki
91) Cameron Lund
92) Ben Hemmerling
93) Lucas Edmonds
94) Jackson Dorrington
95) Fraser Minten
96) Reid Schaefer
97) Kazimier Sobieski
98) Toppi Ronni
99) Marcus Nguyen
100) Josh Nadeau
101) Isaiah George
102) Jozef Viliam Kmec
103) Kent Anderson
104) Rasmus Rudsatt
105) Michael Mastrodomenico
106) Tyson Jugnauth
107) Rayan Bettahar
108) Nick Moldenhauer
109) Hudson Thornton
110) Zam Plante
111) Devin Kaplan
112) Bryce McConnell-Barker
113) Tyler Duke
114) Angus Booth
115) Ludwig Persson
116) Tyson Dyck
117) Luca Hauf
118) Beau Jelsma
119) Christian Kyrou
120) Tnias Mathurin
121) Liam Arnsby
122) David Spacek
123) Michael Buchinger
124) Veit Oswald
125) Joe Flemming

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The draft was moved back because of the extended schedule. Somehow they thought Thursday/Friday was a good idea. :mad:
I understand moving everything, but they should've just had it the way they usually do.

Always been such a large event, but how many viewers are they going to lose now?

Reactions: Beerfish

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Let’s get some predictions for tomorrow going. What do the Oilers do with pick 29?

I’ll say they pick Odelius if they go defence or Firkus if they go with a forward.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I think someone good will drop to the Oilers that weren't expecting like a Mateychuk. You gotta think that Montreal takes at least 1 Quebec born player in the first round.

Mock DraftTeamFirst NameLast Name
1​
MontrealShaneWright
2​
New JerseyJurajSlafkovsky
3​
ArizonaLoganCooley
4​
SeattleSimonNemec
5​
PhiladelphiaCutterGauthier
6​