Speculation: The 2021 NHL Trade Deadline Thread | April 12th 2021 | 3:00 pm ET

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Yes and no. If they're rebuilding, I don't expect Torts to be there long. Don't get me wrong, I think he'll find another job more/less instantly this time. But he's more the guy you want coaching talent that has already been developed. Not so much the guy you want developing them.

I'm gonna sound crazy but I actually think he could pull off the latter if he was mentally up to it. The only thing really stopping Tortorella from doing that is him. It's not like he didn't have veteran help to do it (namely Dave Andreychuk) but he took over a Lightning team that was still very much growing when he first got the job. You had a bunch of 20-somethings who had no idea what it took to win backstopped by Bulin and give it a few years they won it all.

But I digress because what you said is like 99% of what is gonna happen. Pretend for a second Coloardo pulls a 2019-2020 Lightning and lose in the playoffs in the most embarrassing fashion possible after the year they had. I don't see how Jared Bednar survives that when Torts is literally your guy for a team like that.

Reactions: Outl4w

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

He's not enough on his own. Should the Wings be picking near the top it would be very smart of them to take another defender at the top. The 2022 and 2023 drafts are gonna have some really good forward talent and once you've gone through that then MAYBE you're competing for a playoff spot if any of those guys can make the jump quickly. And even then I'm not banking on it. I think the Wings can dramatically improve in about 2 years but as for being a serious contender? Yeah, DFC's got it right at closer to 5 years

Reactions: Outl4w

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Don't forget divisional effects. At least in the near term future, there's us, Toronto, Florida, and probably still Boston who are all in good position to contend in this division. Playoff spots available to Detroit anytime in the near future will probably be at something of a minimum.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Maybe, but maybe not. Defensemen are hard to project until they've been in the NHL for a minute. I think the Wings are still a long way off, but they'll eventually get there.

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
I see us making 1 last Depth move and send at least one of Borgman or Schenn down

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Today:
RfU9wpQ.jpg

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I see us shipping out a late pick 3/5 in this year or next year's draft for a depth defenseman or big body bottom 6 forward that can fill in when needed. Face it we need some guys to eat some minutes and bang some bodies to keep the rest of the team healthy.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I mention Tradebreaker pretty much twice a year. Trade deadline and the draft. Fake Twitter accounts don't seem to be as successful anymore (famous last words), but tradebreaker has just legit hockey Twitter accounts.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Hoping for a backup goalie today. We need to rest Vasilevskiy down the stretch, the next month is pretty condensed.

Reactions: NatoGhost

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad