GDT: The 2021 NHL Entry Draft Thread! Round 1, 8pm EST on ESPN2!

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Pretty excited for tonight and I am really looking forward to it.

Get a defensemen or Eklund with our top pick and I will be happy.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
giphy-downsized.gif

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Wishlist in order if they’re available: Eklund (may even go first though), Hughes, McTavish, Guenther, Johnson. If Svechkov is still available late teens trade up to get him. Another faller I hope we can get is Dach with our late 2nd.

Unrelated but also wonder if Eichel is a Kracken by the end of the day.

Last edited:

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
McTavish probably wouldn't be my first choice (I have him exactly at 6 atm) but I've said a few months back that he would be the perfect center for someone like Lucas Raymond, so I'll be totally fine if we "reach" for him. Love his tools and the way he plays.

Can't wait for this to start tbh, this already feels like a long day :laugh:

Reactions: jfrank21

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Crazy trade framework:

To BUF: 6 overall
To VAN: Reinhart, 2021 DET 2nd rounder
To DET: 9 overall, 2022 BUF 1st rounder
Additional 1st rounder to drop 3 spots? I'd do that in a hear beat, but it's not gonna happen.

I don't see Buff trading Sam. They're thin up the middle, especially if they trade Eichel. They've been using Sam at center when Eichel went down.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Crazy trade framework:

To BUF: 6 overall
To VAN: Reinhart, 2021 DET 2nd rounder
To DET: 9 overall, 2022 BUF 1st rounder

Larceny for Detroit. Buffalo’s first next year is by far the most valuable piece in that package due to them having a very real likelihood of finishing last next year, guaranteeing Savoie minimum and adding another set of odds for Wright.

I’d be happy to even put Bertuzzi in it instead of our 2nd.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Wishlist in order if they’re available: Eklund (may even go first though), Hughes, McTavish, Guenther, Johnson. If Svechkov is still available late teens trade up to get him. Another caller I hope we can get is Dach with our late 2nd.

Unrelated but also wonder if Eichel is a Kracken by the end of the day.

Nah. With the roster that Francis picked I wouldn't expect Eichel to go there. I could see Eichel in Washington for Kuznetsov or maybe Dallas if they want to overpay?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Also have a very odd feeling Max Domi could be had for cheap, though unsure if he’s an Yzerman type of guy. Just a gut feeling based on nothing tangible
Probably for free.

$5M expiring contract, expected to miss at least one month of the season with shoulder surgery. Does not get along with coaches.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I'm so pumped for tonight...

If we get Eklund I'm gonna be absolutely fired up. Centers always creep up a bit on draft day, so it wouldn't shock me to see McTavish jump into the top 5, leaving guys like Hughes, Guenther, Eklund potentially available.

I convinced myself that since we acquired Nedeljkovic, that this means we are not interested in Wallstedt. The only way I am really pissed tonight is if we grab Wallstedt. Edvinsson doesn't really excite me at all either, but I would sleep on that pick and hope for the potential.

Reactions: evolutionbaby

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Nah. With the roster that Francis picked I wouldn't expect Eichel to go there. I could see Eichel in Washington for Kuznetsov or maybe Dallas if they want to overpay?
The Caps can't afford the extra $2.2M salary unless they decide not to re-sign Ovechkin. As a Caps fan, I'd only do it if they take a defenseman (not Carlson) too.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
If Kent Johnson is still available and we grab him, ill do a backflip.

I would love this pick as well, but I just don't see it. I will be shocked if we don't draft one of McTavish/Eklund/Hughes/Edvinsson/Wallstedt (hopefully not him)

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Dude Reinhart MIGHT be worth the 23rd overall pick. He's on the lower end of top line production. Also I gotta wonder what damage losing in Buffalo has done to that kid.

Ooh this is harsh, Reinhart is coming off a really strong season despite Buffalo being a horror show. Not saying that I'd trade #6 for him, but realistically Reinhart is about the type of player we're likely to draft with that pick. He's an RFA so there is a question mark about how much you'd pay him, but he's a top 6 player no doubt.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
The Caps can't afford the extra $2.2M salary unless they decide not to re-sign Ovechkin. As a Caps fan, I'd only do it if they take a defenseman (not Carlson) too.

There might be more moving the other way. I could see Kuznetsov and Mantha going the other way together for Eichel and someone lower in Buffalo's lineup.

I'm also thinking that the Eichel trade will have shades of the Joe Thornton trade. Someone is going to get him for peanuts and Adams will see his management career in Buffalo evaporate.

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
Hughes or Edvinsson (assuming Power and Beniers are gone obviously) and I am a happy camper. If both are gone I would like Eklund or Guenther, followed by Johnson. No thank you to McTavish, Clarke, or Wallstedt.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
There might be more moving the other way. I could see Kuznetsov and Mantha going the other way together for Eichel and someone lower in Buffalo's lineup.

I'm also thinking that the Eichel trade will have shades of the Joe Thornton trade. Someone is going to get him for peanuts and Adams will see his management career in Buffalo evaporate.
I'd do Kuz and Mantha for nicked neck Sam, with no additional adds.

I do not see MacLellan doing it because it's admitting the Mantha/Vrana trade was a mistake.... or maybe he does it because he realizes it was a mistake, lol.

In any case, the Caps are getting old, they can't afford to keep giving up 1st rounders. So definitely not adding draft picks.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
Ooh this is harsh, Reinhart is coming off a really strong season despite Buffalo being a horror show. Not saying that I'd trade #6 for him, but realistically Reinhart is about the type of player we're likely to draft with that pick. He's an RFA so there is a question mark about how much you'd pay him, but he's a top 6 player no doubt.

He's for sure a top 6 guy, but he's at the higher end of 2nd line production to lower end of 1st line production. He's also not good defensively and you're probably not getting much more out of this guy if the best he could muster is a 65 point season in a high scoring year while stapled to Eichel's wing.

He's a 55-60 point player on average. Probably 25-30 goals a season. If we're using up high draft capital on someone it better be Werenski and not a one dimensional scoring forward. We can do better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad