The 2018 Panthers off-season thread-Petrovic is back

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
We cant expose Yandle because he has a NMC so I would assume we are forced to protect him. I like Carlsson I think he would solidify our d-core but its risky to give him such a long and big contract with all of the forwards we will need to sign in the future Barkov, Trocheck, Huberdeau etc..

Ya good point. We trade him for a 3rd :sarcasm:.
Seriously though, he'd probably understand and we can ship him a team that is on his list? That's likely 3 years away so a lot of time to prepare for it. This is why I think we keep the pick and draft a defenseman at 15. This pick will be on his ELC and exempt.

Winnipeg/Chevy drafted, then drafted some more, held onto his picks and look what they've become. Stastny was the big trade just recently. I'd like to get a 3rd round pick back somehow to draft a goalie.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
So we grossly overpaid for Yandle? Thanks for the update.
There’s obviously exceptions. But yes Yandle is overpaid and the contract could look worse in the future. Right now it’s not a bad contract. But that’s not typically the norm in free agency. Top 6 forwards are worse . I could give u a list but frankly it’s so obvious it’s not worth my time and shouldn’t need further explaining

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Did you mean Erik Karlsson, because that is insane for John Carlson. Although Kane getting 7X7 makes it more understandable. :help:

He'll get probably 8.5 from the Caps but for eight years so it's going to end up being the same dollar amount.

But yeah, a top pairing, puck-moving, point-scoring defenseman in his prime who's entering the UFA market, that's probably what it would take. Especially after these playoffs, he's been a monster.

He'll get about the same from the Caps I can't see him ever hitting the market. So it's most likely a pipe dream.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
There’s obviously exceptions. But yes Yandle is overpaid and the contract could look worse in the future. Right now it’s not a bad contract. But that’s not typically the norm in free agency. Top 6 forwards are worse . I could give u a list but frankly it’s so obvious it’s not worth my time and shouldn’t need further explaining

How come Yandle is an exception?

You guys just said free agency is for grossly overpaying when it’s clearly not, unless your GM is a dumbass.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Yandle isn't overpaid. You're wrong.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
How come Yandle is an exception?

You guys just said free agency is for grossly overpaying when it’s clearly not, unless your GM is a dumbass.
Well then every single gm in the league is a dumbass cause every single gm in the league overspends on free agency. That’s the way it goes. And like I said top 6 forwards are even worse. I could make u a list every year but it’s all pointless cause this is pretty basic stuff that shouldn’t need explaining. Or better yet how bout u give me a list of top 6 free agent forwards signed in the last couple
Years that wasn’t an overpayment. Then I’ll give u a list 3 times as long for the overpayments. If u want to sign a bonafide top6 forward in free agency it’s likely gonna be an overpayment. If u don’t wanna overpay and beat other teams offers good luck signing one.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Kovy's next.

I'm guessing Kovy is the 3 year plan in the end, Dadonov leads to Bodgan which leads to Kovy which leads to playoff run on year 3.

Year 3? I want 2nd round next year and Kovalchuk could definitely help. Luongo deserves a year or two of great playoff hockey. Hoping the guys run through the wall to make it happen.

Rumors of 2-3 years at $6million for his services, we haven't been scared off by age in the past. He should be a prime candidate to wear a Panthers jersey.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Year 3? I want 2nd round next year and Kovalchuk could definitely help. Luongo deserves a year or two of great playoff hockey. Hoping the guys run through the wall to make it happen.

Rumors of 2-3 years at $6million for his services, we haven't been scared off by age in the past. He should be a prime candidate to wear a Panthers jersey.
Any way you slice it Viola is all about spending his money wisely lately. Tallon was largely demoted because his history and recent acquisitions didn't adhere to that philosophy. The computer boys screwed up on a few acquisitions and they were unseated. Tallon was reinstalled by Viola and we haven't seen the spending on a big ticket item since. Today adhered to that philosophy as a guy who fits the mold of a shutdown D ala McD is had for less than a million instead of $5 or $6M per. The committee understands that mandate and also understands that having small groups of foreign born players helps to attract countrymen at a reasonable price.

We are at $66M Cap now with 4 players to sign at a cost IMO of $8M. So now we are at $74M with the Cap probably a little over $80M. Pysyk is probably gone and McCoshen shuttled off to the AHL for Kiselevich is a wash, so that brings us back to $70M. There will be some shuffling of prospects with no guaranty of an NHL slot between Hunt, Borgstrom, Greco, and Tippett. Spending $6 or $7M on Kovalchuk for 3 years would shock me but I've been shocked before by what the snake oil saleman can accomplish. :)

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Any way you slice it Viola is all about spending his money wisely lately. Tallon was largely demoted because his history and recent acquisitions didn't adhere to that philosophy. The computer boys screwed up on a few acquisitions and they were unseated. Tallon was reinstalled by Viola and we haven't seen the spending on a big ticket item since. Today adhered to that philosophy as a guy who fits the mold of a shutdown D ala McD is had for less than a million instead of $5 or $6M per. The committee understands that mandate and also understands that having small groups of foreign born players helps to attract countrymen at a reasonable price.

We are at $66M Cap now with 4 players to sign at a cost IMO of $8M. So now we are at $74M with the Cap probably a little over $80M. Pysyk is probably gone and McCoshen shuttled off to the AHL for Kiselevich is a wash, so that brings us back to $70M. There will be some shuffling of prospects with no guaranty of an NHL slot between Hunt, Borgstrom, Greco, and Tippett. Spending $6 or $7M on Kovalchuk for 3 years would shock me but I've been shocked before by what the snake oil saleman can accomplish. :)

According to Friedman, it is down to five teams for Kovalchuk and Florida is one of them (Boston, dallas, l.a., and isles). It wouldn't have gotten to that point if Tallon didn't have the go ahead to court him.

Reactions: Kellyr and Rahooji

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
According to Friedman, it is down to five teams for Kovalchuk and Florida is one of them (Boston, dallas, l.a., and isles). It wouldn't have gotten to that point if Tallon didn't have the go ahead to court him.
When was this last reported? According to his agents they have spoken to 8 teams as of 6/1/18 and there will be a few more as we get closer to 7/1.

I have no doubt Tallon would kick the tires but it ain't gonna get serious until 7/1/18 and I think when push comes to shove they won't do a deal with him. Too many negatives on a 2 or 3 year deal including at age 35 if he decides not to fulfill his contract, the team is still stuck with the Cap hit.......$6.25M? :)

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Well every team courting him would have to deal with the 35+ rule. But it'd be worth it, with Kovy added the Panthers would be a playoff lock. It's still a bit of a long shot, but it's fun to dream while it's still possible.

It was reported yesterday. I got the facts a little mixed up, it was Dreger not Friedman who reported it, actually Matt Larkin reported it. And we are one of the top five candidates supposedly. It's not down to only five teams.

https://www.tsn.ca/off-season-watch-the-suitors-for-kovalchuk-1.1099678

I dont think we need Matt Larkin to tell us Florida is interested, it is obvious we will try for him. What I cant see is why he chooses Florida over New York. But he definitely likes the state and the team will make an offer and we'll see what happens. I just would not get your hopes up (but I have my fingers crossed too it would be sick to see him here)

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I dont think we need Matt Larkin to tell us Florida is interested, it is obvious we will try for him. What I cant see is why he chooses Florida over New York. But he definitely likes the state and the team will make an offer and we'll see what happens. I just would not get your hopes up (but I have my fingers crossed too it would be sick to see him here)

When Daddy talks, people need to shut up and listen.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Well every team courting him would have to deal with the 35+ rule. But it'd be worth it, with Kovy added the Panthers would be a playoff lock. It's still a bit of a long shot, but it's fun to dream while it's still possible.

It was reported yesterday. I got the facts a little mixed up, it was Dreger not Friedman who reported it, actually Matt Larkin reported it. And we are one of the top five candidates supposedly. It's not down to only five teams.

https://www.tsn.ca/off-season-watch-the-suitors-for-kovalchuk-1.1099678
Looking at the competition, I only see Dallas as a viable competitor if Florida wants him. His agent said he will announce his decision around the time of the draft.

Questions then arise: Does moving Dads back to RW screw up the chemistry? This brings up more transactions that are now possible. The 3rd and 4th lines are in flux. What to do with Nick, Mamin, McGinn, McCann and Vatrano. 4th line with one of Sceviour, Mac, and or Greco, Hunt, Haley. Then throw Borg/Tippett into the Mix with the understanding that Kovalchuk will tie up a slot for the next 2 or 3 years. :)

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

I was talking about the press after the Islanders series, didn't they make a 3 year plan and next year is the 3rd?

Florida should absolutely be a playoff team with Kovy on the team, he was still +ppg in the KHL and has the talent to change a game with his shot still.

The Atlantic is looking damm strong and shouldn't be declining soon, Florida needs to boost their team to keep in the fight.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
He already lives in FLA, our contract at an even level is above everyone but DAL. We also have the best core of any of those teams. Oh and BOS has no cap space, and LAK need to reup Doughty, I doubt they tie up his money in Kovy.

Fingers crossed.

Reactions: RainingRats

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He already lives in FLA, our contract at an even level is above everyone but DAL. We also have the best core of any of those teams. Oh and BOS has no cap space, and LAK need to reup Doughty, I doubt they tie up his money in Kovy.

Fingers crossed.

Boston has the money for next year, but offering term is difficult.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
We have Russians on our team he knows.. He has a house. Dadonov transitioned very nicely. He's got a winger spot with a very good center locked up if he plays here. Our team finished strong. Russians LOVE South Florida.

Gotta think we're a favorite.

Reactions: Chaos2k7

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
hes very fit physically and still producing at an incredible rate, the guys a stud. ideally 3yrs but ill go 4 if needed (depending on the cap hit not being toooo crazy). if dale wasnt afraid to sign old jovo to a 4yr deal then he shouldnt be afraid of giving one to old kovy (not saying two wrongs make a right, but i dont think itd be a bad signing). he'd be playing with barkov and his previous linemate dadonov, i see him producing just fine and it finally gives us a triggerman for the pp. pleaseeeeeeeeee get this done. plus you waste no assets to add him. you can then use said assets for a top-4 d, let kiselevich play with weegar.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
If we can sign Kovalchuk and end up doing nothing else this off-season, I'll be happy.

Dadonov - Barkov - Kovalchuk
Huberdeau - Trocheck - Bjugstad/Tippett?
Vatrano - Malgin - McGinn
Sceviour - McCann - Mamin
Mack/Haley

If a guy like Tippett or Borgstrom earn a spot, then find space for them.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot