The 2018 Panthers off-season thread-Petrovic is back

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Thornton would probably resign from the Panthers if that happened.
I feel the organization (from GM to the people in minor positions) know Thornton's opinion of Emelin and thus I think it's very unlikely that we end up signing him.

Wasn't Emelin meant to be going back to the KHL anyway? Or at least there was a rumour about it at some point.

Breaking Dadonov

Jan 25, 2018
Thornton would probably resign from the Panthers if that happened.
No great loss there. What exactly does Thornton do for us that we would miss? I think Emelin would be a great guy for the top 4. Not sure why he gets so much hate. He's been a solid player for a while now and would be a smart move as opposed to giving a youngster like Weegar top 4 responsibility with a wild card like Matheson taking chances in the offensive zone.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
No great loss there. What exactly does Thornton do for us that we would miss? I think Emelin would be a great guy for the top 4. Not sure why he gets so much hate. He's been a solid player for a while now and would be a smart move as opposed to giving a youngster like Weegar top 4 responsibility with a wild card like Matheson taking chances in the offensive zone.
giphy.gif

Emelin has been anything but a good top 4 D-man

Breaking Dadonov

Jan 25, 2018
giphy.gif

Emelin has been anything but a good top 4 D-man
Idk I'd still take him over any of Petrovic, Pysyk and Weegar in the top 4. He's not flashy but he plays defense first as opposed to focusing on moving the puck. We have no one like that on the back end. He also has plenty of experience, something else we don't have a lot of.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Idk I'd still take him over any of Petrovic, Pysyk and Weegar in the top 4. He's not flashy but he plays defense first as opposed to focusing on moving the puck. We have no one like that on the back end. He also has plenty of experience, something else we don't have a lot of.
He plays defense first badly. He is an older Gudbranson.

He is exactly what the Panthers don't need. There is a reason he had the best statistical season of his career with the Predators and they have already announced they won't retain him.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013

Yes, he focus on defense first because he can't move the puck and can't put up points. Also, his defense is awful.

He's the defenseman equivalent of Mackenzie ... supposedly good defensively, but actually not good at it.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

That just tells more about your defense than Emelin.

He'd be just a waste of money for you, you should spent the money you have on a clear, longterm upgrade.

Breaking Dadonov

Jan 25, 2018
That just tells more about your defense than Emelin.

He'd be just a waste of money for you, you should spent the money you have on a clear, longterm upgrade.
Valid point. I just want a vet at this point. Don't think the D needs anything drastic just a steady guy that can babysit Matheson, I guess that's not Emelin based on my fellow poster's reactions.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Valid point. I just want a vet at this point. Don't think the D needs anything drastic just a steady guy that can babysit Matheson, I guess that's not Emelin based on my fellow poster's reactions.

Your defense needs a longterm quality top4RD option.

I don't think? you have the money to just spent to the max year after year(atleast now) and the moves you make should be quality.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Thought about this but who gets protected during inevitable Seattle expansion.

Protect Ekblad, Matheson, Carlson.

Expose Yandle, Weegar etc.
Yandle will be nearly 35 by that time and will most likely start to decline by then. Expose his contract more than the player per say. Should be drafting this year with expansion in mind. If they plan on protecting 7-3-1 then draft a D with 15th, or draft a F if we're going 4-4-1. Don't see how we can't go 7-3-1 this time.

We could make him a decent offer though. Just a bit scary having 4 D locked up for 5+ years.

What about you?

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

Yandle will be nearly 35 by that time and will most likely start to decline by then. Expose his contract more than the player per say. Should be drafting this year with expansion in mind. If they plan on protecting 7-3-1 then draft a D with 15th, or draft a F if we're going 4-4-1. Don't see how we can't go 7-3-1 this time.

We could make him a decent offer though. Just a bit scary having 4 D locked up for 5+ years.

What about you?

That's a good point, we likely draft a D this year. We will lose one good defenseman to Seattle.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den

What about you?

We cant expose Yandle because he has a NMC so I would assume we are forced to protect him. I like Carlsson I think he would solidify our d-core but its risky to give him such a long and big contract with all of the forwards we will need to sign in the future Barkov, Trocheck, Huberdeau etc..

Reactions: ThePatientPanther
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad