Prospect Info: The 2018 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Anyone know of any NHL comparisons for Bouchard & Hughes?

From what I've read about Hughes he seems like a Ryan Ellis minus the big shot?

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014

I hate trying to do NHL comparables for dmen. They're really awkward in general, but especially for defencemen the game changes so much from Jr's to pros that it's hard to draw parallels.

That said I totally get the use in trying to explain playstyle via comparison, so here I go anyways:

Hughes honestly reminds me of Justin Schultz, especially rookie Justin Schultz. Try to forget the sad, broken player who left here, and remember the guy who destroyed the AHL and was constantly pulling off ridiculous pinches in the NHL, skating around people. Hughes is a better skater but their shots are similar in that they really rely on their writer from mid to close range (Schultz didn't really have a one timer until he got to Pittsburgh where they magically taught him how to do one in a a few days...). They also both love(d) to rove deep into the offensive zone.

Bouchard is harder for me. Not many top dmen with meh skating these days, and he's not as mean as Weber and his shot isn't as good. That's part of why I don't like him as much as some of the others. I guess Pietrangelo might be an alright comparable, not lightning fast but he gets where he needs to go. Good at making lightning quick passes through traffic and getting medium power shots through.

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
The comparison everyone uses for Bouchard is John Carlson from WSH. Which isn't' a bad comparison.

He reminds me of a better skating Ekblad (but worse defensively). And when I say better skating....I watched Ekblad in junior and Bouchard's skating is better then Ekblad's was. I have no idea if Ekblad has improved his skating with Florida as I don't watch that team enough to comment.

Reactions: Aerrol

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Eh. Petry wishes he could pass and shoot like Bouchard. Way less accurate. I don't see it.
I remember Petry from his college (Pre Oilers) days.. He could certinly shoot and was pretty much Pronger of the CCHA before he jumped to Pros.
Petry crossed 100Mph with his slapper in college.
Bouchard wont be getting these prime offensive opportunities in the NHL that he is getting in London. No one is going to let him walk through the slot.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I remember Petry from his college (Pre Oilers) days.. He could certinly shoot and was pretty much Pronger of the CCHA before he jumped to Pros.
Petry crossed 100Mph with his slapper in college.
Bouchard wont be getting these prime offensive opportunities in the NHL that he is getting in London. No one is going to let him walk through the slot.

I didn't say anything about shot power; definitely would agree that Petry has always put more mustard on it :).

But fair point. I was referring only to how Petry has looked at the NHL level and how that compares to how Bouchard looks right now. Obviously he won't have the same space at the NHL level which is why I don't like doing comparables to start with. I never watched Petry pre-NHL.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
The comparison everyone uses for Bouchard is John Carlson from WSH. Which isn't' a bad comparison.

He reminds me of a better skating Ekblad (but worse defensively). And when I say better skating....I watched Ekblad in junior and Bouchard's skating is better then Ekblad's was. I have no idea if Ekblad has improved his skating with Florida as I don't watch that team enough to comment.

Carlson is indeed a much better comparable to my eye too. Good suggestion. I don't really see the Ekblad though; I agree the skating is similar but Ekblad had/has a harder shot and was and is more physical.

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
Carlson is indeed a much better comparable to my eye too. Good suggestion. I don't really see the Ekblad though; I agree the skating is similar but Ekblad had/has a harder shot and was and is more physical.

I don't remember Ekblad being all the physical back in junior. Maybe I'm misremembering but Ekblad played more positional defense. I honestly don't remember him pounding people like Dion Phaneuf or anyone like that. Was Ekblad tough - well I do remember him beating the crap out of a couple of guys that were dumb enough to fight him. So yes he was a good fighter on the rare chance he did fight.

But physical play....nah I think that is a huge misconception about him. I think people saw his size (6'4") and the couple fights and assumed he was this physical beast. Which wasn't what I remember his play like at all.

As for as shot.....Bouchard's shot is awesome. I don't know if Ekblad's shot is much better or if at all

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I don't remember Ekblad being all the physical back in junior. Maybe I'm misremembering but Ekblad played more positional defense. I honestly don't remember him pounding people like Dion Phaneuf or anyone like that. Was Ekblad tough - well I do remember him beating the crap out of a couple of guys that were dumb enough to fight him. So yes he was a good fighter on the rare chance he did fight.

But physical play....nah I think that is a huge misconception about him. I think people saw his size (6'4") and the couple fights and assumed he was this physical beast. Which wasn't what I remember his play like at all.

As for as shot.....Bouchard's shot is awesome. I don't know if Ekblad's shot is much better or if at all

I think Bouchard is a more accurate shooter than Ekblad was in Jrs (he's improved quite a bit at the NHL level). I don't see that he had the same power/velocity on it as Ekblad had though (hence harder, not better, shot).

re: Ekblad's physicality, IDK man, maybe I've just missed Bouchard doing it, but from what I've followed he doesn't grind it out along the boards nearly as often as Ekblad did. Ekblad definitely wasn't and isn't a Phaneuf style open ice hitter, but Ekblad did a great job squeezing guys out along the boards and otherwise challenging physically. Bouchard from what I've seen prefers to just be positional and use his stick most of the time.

edit: As always, appreciated your detailed thoughts though. It's nice to get other views on prospects that I don't see nearly as much as I do NHL players.

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
Aerrol, I'm not saying Bouchard is physical. I actually am not comparing Bourchard's defensive play to Ekblad's at all. Ekblad was much better at the same age. It's no comparison at all

I think there play style is similar on the offensive end, though I give the nod to Bouchard's passing, offensive zone IQ, and transition passing over Ekblad's. So maybe you are right that they aren't similar. The Carlson comp isn't bad but again I think Bouchard is the better shooter and possesses a harder shot than Carlson

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

Duncan Keith, or Scott Neidermeyer is a better comparison for Hughes. Paul Coffey is another guy he could be compared to. Those are absolute best case scenario, but thats how he plays.

Bouchard reminds me of John Carlson, big guy who can put up points, but has questionable skating and isn't as physical as Id like for a big guy.

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
I’m not sure I believe this rumour but will post it anyways:

Andrei Svechnikov and the Pivotal Importance of Precise Age

Andrei has an older brother who was scouted for years so I’m not sure if an age switch could have occurred. Andrei has been on the radar of scouts for the last 5-7 years because of his older brother....

Will be interesting to see if Svechnikov drops to the 5-7 area in the draft because of this rumor that may or may not be true (I personally think it’s false)

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
I posted the OHL’s coaches poll (or what I thought was it). It wasn’t. It was Brocks guesses for the likely nominations. Well the OHL’s coaches poll has now come out:

OHL Announces 2017-18 Coaches Poll Winners – Ontario Hockey League

Bouchard appears in four different categories including first in Hardest Shot and Best Offensive Defenceman, second Best Shot, and third Smartest Player. Pretty pretty pretty good.

Svechnikov was voted best skater and was rated with second best shot

Last edited:

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
We're 25th at the moment (6th overall)

I doubt we'll climb up any higher in the standings during these last dozen games.

There are 3 teams behind us that are 2 or less points away from catching us, and the next team higher than us is 3 more points, and the team ahead of them is 5 point up.

Providing Dahlin goes 1st, I get the feeling Svechnikov, Zadina, Boqvist and Tkachuk will round out the top 5, and we'll be picking between one of the other three big-4 defenceman and Wahlstrom.

Really hoping Tkachuk isn't available when we pick.

Reactions: Aerrol and dustrock

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Have to also agree that the Svechnikov rumours are nonsense. Grigorenko didn't drop because he was secretly 20, he dropped because of his work ethic, skating and a mediocre year compared to the other top forwards. This rumour just stinks of more anti Russian nonsense.

I posted the OHL’s coaches poll (or what I thought was it). It wasn’t. It was Brocks guesses for the likely nominations. Well the OHL’s coaches poll has now come out:

OHL Announces 2017-18 Coaches Poll Winners – Ontario Hockey League

Bouchard appears in four different categories including first in Hardest Shot and Best Offensive Defenceman, second Best Shot, and third Smartest Player. Pretty pretty pretty good.

Svechnikov was voted best skater and was rated with second best shot

Thanks for sharing this! Bouchard getting voted hardest shot in Conference is interesting to me, as is Svechnikov getting best skater. I wouldn't have guessed either.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
We're 25th at the moment (6th overall)

I doubt we'll climb up any higher in the standings during these last dozen games.

There are 3 teams behind us that are 2 or less points away from catching us, and the next team higher than us is 3 more points, and the team ahead of them is 5 point up.

Providing Dahlin goes 1st, I get the feeling Svechnikov, Zadina, Boqvist and Tkachuk will round out the top 5, and we'll be picking between one of the other three big-4 defenceman and Wahlstrom.

Really hoping Tkachuk isn't available when we pick.

Lol so many of us really don't like Tkachuk, but I feel like none of us, myself included, have really given a great reason why. For me, it's again what I feel like is the lack or a standout skill. What about you?

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Winning is not helping. Vancouver and Detroit have 5 and 9 game losing streaks, the closer we can get to bottom 5 the better.

Meh, I'm tired of tanking. We have McDavid on the team. Time to start routing for wins instead of losses. We will still end up with a heck of a player even if we are picking 10th overall or so

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad