Prospect Info: The 2018 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
sorry
meant we could draft anywhere from 1 to 10

I just get concerned when people starting talking about a top 3 picks when we are nowhere near it

we should be taking time to look at the top ten prospects and no top 3--

but that is just me

You can't draft 4-6

You can win the lottery and draft 1-3. You could keep your position and draft 7th if only the teams below you in the standings move (or don't move). Or you could draft 8-10th if the teams above you in the standings all win (unlikely)

Consultant

Sep 12, 2010
So if Montoya plays tomorrow (7th game with over 30 min) then we give a 4th rounder instead of a 5th.
Seems like a good time to call up Ellis.
One meaningless game to slide 30 spots? I hope they don’t do it. Maybe talbot goes back to back???

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Love it Rambo. Thanks for sharing.

Edit - also agree with both those rankings to be honest, I can see Boqvist going after Bouchard but I still like the Swedes skillset more.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
That's the main thing I like about Bouchard. I think he plays an NHL-style transition game.

He'll skate it out to his blueline, make a smart little pass and then follow it up unless there's a wide open lane to skate it in farther.

I think that's the more effective style in today's NHL(especially with a guy like McDavid) than the water bug types who look to skate from their end into the other zone.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
That's the main thing I like about Bouchard. I think he plays an NHL-style transition game.

He'll skate it out to his blueline, make a smart little pass and then follow it up unless there's a wide open lane to skate it in farther.

I think that's the more effective style in today's NHL(especially with a guy like McDavid) than the water bug types who look to skate from their end into the other zone.
I believe he plays this way because of he's not a speedster.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014

Good point, but the thing I love about Boqvist is he has both in his arsenal. Less consistent at this point, but he's shown the ability to make those plays AND sometimes carry it in. (Just had to keep pumping his tires, sorry ;) ).

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
from everything I've read he's the best skater in the draft to go with elite offense...size and defense are a concern but the Oilers desperately need more skill on the back-end
We do need more skill. Bouchard is the best scoring defensemen in the OHL as a rookie, a worse skater (most people are) and much better defensively.
Hughes is super high risk and really high reward.
Bouchard is low risk high reward.

Reactions: Aerrol

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Good point, but the thing I love about Boqvist is he has both in his arsenal. Less consistent at this point, but he's shown the ability to make those plays AND sometimes carry it in. (Just had to keep pumping his tires, sorry ;) ).
Boqvist's style is so entertaining to watch. Looks like he's just playing pond hockey out there. Would easily become a fan favorite here

Reactions: Aerrol

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
from everything I've read he's the best skater in the draft to go with elite offense...size and defense are a concern but the Oilers desperately need more skill on the back-end

He's the best skater yes, but here are my concerns in addition to size and defence generally:
- he's a LH shot, which isn't ultimately huge but when there are so many RH available why not take one of them?
- he's got the worst shot out of the top 6 dmen - Dahlin, Boqvist, Bouchard, Smith, Dobson all have a better shot from further out. Hughes seems to rely almost solely on that wrister.
- tied to the shot, he plays like a forward. That's exciting to watch, but IMO will also mean a harder transition to the NHL game - it's way harder to play like that, because NHL players are so much faster and you can't get back in time. Even Erik Karlsson at his best doesn't go as deep into the o-zone as regularly as Hughes does, and Karlsson's skating is almost McDavid-level. For comparison to the NCAA, Werenski had a much more impressive one-timer and played more traditionally. And he put up similar numbers.

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
He's the best skater yes, but here are my concerns in addition to size and defence generally:
- he's a LH shot, which isn't ultimately huge but when there are so many RH available why not take one of them?
- he's got the worst shot out of the top 6 dmen - Dahlin, Boqvist, Bouchard, Smith, Dobson all have a better shot from further out. Hughes seems to rely almost solely on that wrister.
- tied to the shot, he plays like a forward. That's exciting to watch, but IMO will also mean a harder transition to the NHL game - it's way harder to play like that, because NHL players are so much faster and you can't get back in time. Even Erik Karlsson at his best doesn't go as deep into the o-zone as regularly as Hughes does, and Karlsson's skating is almost McDavid-level. For comparison to the NCAA, Werenski had a much more impressive one-timer and played more traditionally. And he put up similar numbers.
Hughes will be a high offense elite #3 in his prime. Great to get you points and help you get leads but you keep him far away from the ice when holding one.

Bouchard has the potential to be a #1 d because his all around game is much better. He isn't the guy that can single handedly hold a lead either but with a stronger defensive partner, can absolutely hold it down.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
fair enough, I just think he bring elements the Oilers desperately need in the new NHL...namely speed, skating and creating offense from the back-end

McKenzie had both Hughes and Bouchard at 6 and 7 in his mid-season rankings while Pronman has Hughes #3 and Bouchard at #26 in his mid-season ranking

be interesting to see where they end up in the Final rankings

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
fair enough, I just think he bring elements the Oilers desperately need in the new NHL...namely speed, skating and creating offense from the back-end

McKenzie had both Hughes and Bouchard at 6 and 7 in his mid-season rankings while Pronman has Hughes #3 and Bouchard at #26 in his mid-season ranking

It's not like others in the draft don't bring those elements either. Boqvist is almost as speedy and brings more elements of offense to the game. Bouchard brings more elements of offense to the game and isn't a bad skater. Smith is also apparently a great skater and similarly has other offensive elements Hughes lacks. I guess they stand out less than Hughes does at his specific niche though.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

That's fair but you still need a defender that can defend. Hughes is not NHL ready because his defense is awful. His offense is fine but he would be a massive liability at the NHL level right now.
You also need defenders with good to great shots, Hughes doesn't have that either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad