Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

Ca9m168WwAA79IT.jpg

2017 NHL Entry Draft will take place at the United Centre in Chicago, Illinois

MOCK DRAFTS
http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/
http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2017/

BOB McKENZIE'S RANKING
Preliminary - http://www.tsn.ca/mckenzie-s-pre-season-ranking-the-nolan-patrick-draft-1.567410

PLAYERS
Database: http://www.eliteprospects.com/draftcenter.php?year=2017
CSS Preliminary: https://www.nhl.com/info/nhl-central-scouting-player-rankings
CSS Midterm: https://www.nhl.com/news/2017-nhl-d...ps-midterm-rankings/c-285771514?tid=277729156

CRAIG BUTTON'S RANKING
September: http://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-nolan-patrick-stands-above-the-rest-1.566071
October:
November: http://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-patrick-liljegren-occupy-top-two-spots-1.620528
December:
January: http://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-patrick-remains-in-the-top-spot-despite-injury-1.646868

Colorado Avalanche Draft Picks
1st round: Kept
2nd round: Kept
3rd round: Traded [To Devils for Eric Gelinas]
4th round: Kept
4th round: Acquired [From NY Rangers via Nick Holden]
5th round: Kept
6th round: Kept
7th round: Kept

Some thoughts from me: I am definitely liking this draft over 2016, maybe it's impart of me tied within the WHL and considering how weak that class was. I am not a huge Nolan Patrick's fan, don't see a lot of high calibre talent to want to be 1st overall. But with that said, the top 10 to 15 is looking very strong, much stronger than last years. There should also be some really high level defensive prospects with Liljegren, Vaakanainen, and Hague leading the way (with Foote in there). This is also going to be another very strong year for Finland with perhaps five players looking like top 15 positions. These players are Tolvanen (who I am very high on), Vesalainen, Vaakanainen, and Valimaki. One other observation I would like to share is that this is one draft with a lot of diversity among the players. You've got great two-way players in Patrick and Mittelstadt. You've got some real talent on the smaller side with Yamamoto, Tolvanen, and Hischier. You've got some great point producing defenders like Foote and Valimaki. Some powerforwards in Vilardi, Vesalainen, and Rasmussen. Finally, some untapped potential players like Kostin, Popugayev, Davidsson, Bowers, Gildon, and Ruzicka to name just a few.

FYI for the poll, when I meant "Forward", I mean "Centre". My apologies.

Last edited:

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Dream is Patrick or Comtois but that'll likely take a top 3 pick so realistically I want Michael Rasmussen or Callan Foote as I'm expecting around the 10th pick again.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Dream is Patrick or Comtois but that'll likely take a top 3 pick so realistically I want Michael Rasmussen or Callan Foote as I'm expecting around the 10th pick again.

I find it quite hilarious that you list #1 consensus player and #3 consensus player as dream players, but not #2...

Liljegren not Canadian enough for you?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'm excited to watch this class, saw some of the Hlinka and a few caught my eye. Kostin is going to be a beast, someone on the prospects board had a good description that's he's a meaner Puljujarvi. Selfishly I'm disappointed he won't be coming over to the WHL. Vilardi and Comtois will be ones to watch, likely top 5 selections. I know we have a big Rassmusen fan here too. One other name to watch, American Sasha Chmelevski playing for Ottawa had a great Hlinka and should have a big year in the OHL. Obviously a nice class got the Finns upcoming. Will be interesting to see more of Liljegren, reminds me of a better Jake Bean. I think a lot of the top players in this class have size and then there's a few small guys too.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Really exciting goalie class this year. Oettinger, DiPietro, Scott, Skinner, etc. Too much to ask that the Avs take a goalie before the 5th round this time?

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
I find it quite hilarious that you list #1 consensus player and #3 consensus player as dream players, but not #2...

Liljegren not Canadian enough for you?

I find it quite hilarious you don't think Patrick is a special talent. different opinions.

I don't really care about consensus. For me Patrick is the clear #1 with Comtois, Liljegren and Vilardi in a close 2-4 group with Comtois ahead right now for me with my preference for power forwards. Seeing how my 2 all-time favourite players are Swedish I don't think that effects me.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I find it quite hilarious you don't think Patrick is a special talent. different opinions.

I don't really care about consensus. For me Patrick is the clear #1 with Comtois, Liljegren and Vilardi in a close 2-4 group with Comtois ahead right now for me with my preference for power forwards. Seeing how my 2 all-time favourite players are Swedish I don't think that effects me.
I like how you always copy me. :laugh: Never said that Patrick isn't a special talent, anyone going 1st overall is, but compared to other number one's, he isn't anything special. He's going to be the weakest #1 since Yakupov.

You're entitled to have any opinion you like, which is completely fair. I am just trying to expose your bias for Canadian players, which could and does cloud your judgement when discussing prospects.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Will be interesting to see what type of player we "should" draft with our first.

MacK - offensive catalyst (well rounded)
Duchene - offensive catalyst (well rounded)
Landeskog - 2way PF
Rantanen - 2way PFish
Jost - 2way

Grigo - 2way
Yeti - 2way
Compher - 2way
Greer - scoring PF
Morrison - scoring PF
Beaudin - 2way

Johnson - 2way w/size
Barrie - elite offensive D
Bigras - defensive minded 2way
Zadorov - offensive minded 2way w/size

Gelinas- offensive D w/size
Wiercioch - offensive D
Meloche - defensive minded 2way w/size
Mironov - defensive D w/size
Boikov - 2way w/ size
Geertsen - defensive D w/size

Varly/Pickard
Martin

I think I'm leaning towards a big time sniper. Ideally a PF (MacK, Jost, Duchene are not exactly the biggest players). Would be great to add a young Iggy to this group of well rounded offensive threats.

4 years out:
PF Sniper - MacK - Duchene
Lando - Jost - Rantanen
Grigo - Yeti - Compher
Greer - Beaudin - Morrison

Bigras - EJ
Zadorov - Barrie
Gelinas - Meloche

But, if we cant get a big time sniper I think I would like to see a potential #1 taken. EJ isn't going to hold that role forever.

I would like to see our 2nd spent on an OFD has well. We really have no potential replacements for Barrie if this is his last contract with us.

Would like to see a goalie with a 4th as well. I dont see Varly/Pickard lasting long term and would like to see someone better than the complete unknown in Werner sitting behind Martin.

*Still way too early though.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I think it's time to go D in the first round. Our forward group is pretty much set for the top six long term, top end D talent is the next big deficiency in our prospect pool.

Liljegren is a pipe dream in case we win a lottery pick, but Vaakanienen (or however you spell it) and Foote look really solid. All top end defensemen in today's NHL are the two-way type, you need puck skills no matter what in order to be picked high. A well rounded #1-2 defenseman would be just what this team needs.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'm with SEPH on thinking the first pick looks kinda weak, but I love the depth in this draft. IMO it will be much better than 2016.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I think Rantanen and Jost are more offensive catalyst than two way (though they possess those abilities) and Meloche is probably closer to EJ style but those are minor quibbles. I agree a true sniper wing would be nice, we have a few potential PFs but none high end. Also might be time for a high end D pick too, but if they take one high I think will be more a two way type than offensive D, Liljegren definitely leans more in that direction. I think they'd look at Foote and Hague. Obviously it's early yet, more options will emerge. It's tough seeing us take a goalie early unless they pick up another 1, 2 or 3.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Owen Tippett is looking like the truest sniper in this draft but there are still a lot of questions with him. Could be a top 5 guy to late 1st or even a faller out of the 1st. Will be interesting to follow how he progresses this year. If we go D and miss out on the top guys Cale Fleury is someone I have high hopes for.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Its time to draft a Dman with our first round pick, unless there is a no-brainer F pick available. I dont think EJ will be #1 quality Dman for his whole contract, and we should draft his replacement.

Voted for two-way D.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I think Rantanen and Jost are more offensive catalyst than two way (though they possess those abilities) and Meloche is probably closer to EJ style but those are minor quibbles. I agree a true sniper wing would be nice, we have a few potential PFs but none high end. Also might be time for a high end D pick too, but if they take one high I think will be more a two way type than offensive D, Liljegren definitely leans more in that direction. I think they'd look at Foote and Hague. Obviously it's early yet, more options will emerge. It's tough seeing us take a goalie early unless they pick up another 1, 2 or 3.

If a player possesses good defensive and offensive ability then they are 2way players imo. Doesn't matter to me if their offense might be at a higher level. Benn, Crosby, Letang, Josi, etc, those are still really good defensive players. Labeling them as offensive players seems to be selling their overall games short to me.

Definitely has to be a 2way guy at D in the first. If we take a D that early they need to have #1 potential. OFD just are not #1s to me.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'd love for the Avs to draft Foote, but I don't think they will want to add that pressure to the kid or the organization.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I'd love for the Avs to draft Foote, but I don't think they will want to add that pressure to the kid or the organization.

That is a real concern. It would be almost too storybook to have that happen. He's a damn good player though, if he's the BPA I question whether Sakic would hesitate to pull the trigger.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I don't think that would change anything. They drafted Staz and that turned out pretty good. I guess the difference is the dad is kind of part of the organization. If anything that would be the reason to not pick him as it could be awkward if he doesn't turn out as good as he is supposed to.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I don't think that would change anything. They drafted Staz and that turned out pretty good. I guess the difference is the dad is kind of part of the organization. If anything that would be the reason to not pick him as it could be awkward if he doesn't turn out as good as he is supposed to.

Peter wasn't a part of the Avs, he was a part of the Nordiques. I understand the connection, but the local, casual fans had no idea besides being told. Everybody who is a remote fan of the Avs knows who Adam Foote is. The kid would have unreal expectations from the very beginning and the organization would too (if he didn't develop properly). This is a situation where there is only one situation where they win... if Foote becomes a top flight defensemen. Anything short of that, it hurts Cal and the Avs. Don't get me wrong, I'd love it as I think Foote is one of the best D prospects in the draft... I just don't see it happening.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I seem to remember Tyson Barrie specifically asking the Lightning, which were partially owned by his father Len at the time, not to draft him in 2009.

I agree with Hench...probably best if he goes elsewhere, but I wouldn't be mad at all if the Avs drafted him. Sounds like he's already an amazing player.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
They did not take Claude's kid, which I thought was a sure thing until they took wazhizname. They did not take Popeye's kid, which I thought was a sure thing (until they said otherwise). Yes, they took Peter's kid, but how many casual fans knew who Peter was before Paul made the team? Why the heck would we think they will take Adam's kid?

Depending on draft position, they should though. Only knocks I have seen on him are skating and shot, and neither are deemed to be uncorrectable, or even that bad....just not as good as the rest. Big, D first, good pass, heads up, smart, strong, leader...all words I have seen used to describe him. And he plays for, in someone else's words, the Defense factory that is Kelowna.

But there a bunch of other intriguing players that could be available at our pick, which cold be anywhere from 1OA to 24OA (bubble miss PO and win lotto, or bubble or better into PO and win a round).

I think we should target a potential #1D, unless BPA works out to be a higher tier sniper/PF.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I do like seeing people wanting D though... I've been on that train for years now. Welcome aboard! :nod:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad