The 2016 World Cup of Hockey Thread

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I saw the Canucks..I rooted for the Canucks!

Love those retro white uniforms too!

--

A few things - someone should have given Europe an anthem. There are (probably) plenty of classical tunes that would fit. Heck, what was wrong with O Fortuna?

Second, why is everyone so shocked this team did well? It was the reunited team Czechoslovakia plus the rest of Europe that is better than the rest of Czechoslovakia - Kopitar for crying out load.

Third, had to listen to gimmicky gary during the game. Turns out the the hold up for the real international game is he wants the IOC to pay for it. Geez, it was supposed to be an amateur tournament. Why not get the Canadian tax payer give you $100 million while they're at it - oh yeah, you got that from the CBC (and still preempt games because US networks ask for it).

Ok, Canada World Cup is over. Let the lockout begin!

No it wasn't.

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
I can like Doughty, I can like Toews but I'm sorry I can't cheer on Brad Marchand even if he is wearing a maple leaf on his jersey.

After the garbage he pulled towards the fans lifting an imaginary cup & kissing his ring finger just shows his character.

That celebration was real awkward to me for some reason.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I can like Doughty, I can like Toews but I'm sorry I can't cheer on Brad Marchand even if he is wearing a maple leaf on his jersey.

After the garbage he pulled towards the fans lifting an imaginary cup & kissing his ring finger just shows his character.

That celebration was real awkward to me for some reason.

For me it's all about the crest on the front of the jersey more than it is about the name on the back. I couldn't care less who scored, as long as someone scored.

Raincouver

Mar 2, 2014
For me it's all about the crest on the front of the jersey more than it is about the name on the back. I couldn't care less who scored, as long as someone scored.

I bet if the Sedins played for Canada you wouldn't be saying that :popcorn:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
If the NHL goes to the 2018 Olympics I'm excited at what our team will look like:

Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron
Stamkos-Toews-Tavares
Duchene-Couture-MacKinnon
O'Reilly-McDavid-Eberle
Monahan

Keith-Pietrangelo
Muzzin-Doughty
Vlasic-Ekblad
Reilly/Subban

Price
Holtby
Jones

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
If the NHL goes to the 2018 Olympics I'm excited at what our team will look like:

Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron
Stamkos-Toews-Tavares
O'Reilly-McDavid-Eberle
Monahan

Keith-Pietrangelo
Muzzin-Doughty
Vlasic-Ekblad
Reilly/Subban

Price
Holtby
Jones

wouldnt pencil in stamkos into the lineup. he wasnt a big factor in the tournament at all. replace him with either jamie benn or seguin.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
I just love the fact that time and time again, year after year - world juniors, world cups, and olympics - Team Canada finds a way to win.

Call it heart, call it determination, call it the greatest desire to win, but Canadians have continued to show up when it matters most - and they proved it again tonight, when it mattered the most.

Again, I'm incredibly proud to be Canadian, and kudos to Team Canada.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Yeah it was great to actually have something to cheer for and a team to believe in. Even when we were down all game I thought we'd pull it out. It's team Canada. And I definitely was proud of how Marchand represented his country and am excited to see him again wearing the maple leaf.

Beansy*

Sep 10, 2016
Is the final over?

Really though.........the biggest waste of time tournament I have ever heard of. Did anyone really give a **** about this final?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Barely invested five minutes of my time in watching this game...Did Sbisa play for Team Europe?....was he any good?

Beansy*

Sep 10, 2016

Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron
Stamkos-Toews-Tavares
O'Reilly-McDavid-Eberle
Monahan

Keith-Pietrangelo
Muzzin-Doughty
Vlasic-Ekblad
Reilly/Subban

Price
Holtby
Jones

What about Gudbranson?

Beansy*

Sep 10, 2016
I think he's been a healthy scratch for the last several games

(Lol)

Sekeres swears the Canucks are still high on Sbisa, but man I'd love to see them dispatch him to Utica or dump him somewhere and give his ice to Tryamkin or someone like that.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i didn't watch this tournament but reading about how marchand played a prominent role in the victory, i can't help but wish we could have seen peak burrows on the 2010 team.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Good call. Can't believe I forgot about Benn and Seguin. Both will be prominent players.

Wow.

thanks seguin was injured therefore replaced by oreilly. i'd take seguin/benn anyday of stamkos. sucks that claude giroux had to be an extra healthy body. guess babcock didnt wanna mess with his lines he had set from the getgo.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I think it shows the popularity of this event that through however many games this thread doesn't make it to 40 pages, and one of the biggest boards around.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
thanks seguin was injured therefore replaced by oreilly. i'd take seguin/benn anyday of stamkos. sucks that claude giroux had to be an extra healthy body. guess babcock didnt wanna mess with his lines he had set from the getgo.

I don't think Stamkos will be snubbed (unless his game completely falls off a cliff), but perhaps he'll be lower in the lineup.

Let's try this again:

Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron
Benn-Toews-Seguin
Duchene-Tavares-Stamkos
Couture-McDavid-Giroux
MacKinnon

That offense is arguably better than any of the lineups Canada has iced to date. Scary. And we still have Ryan O'Reilly, Sean Monahan, Jonathan Drouin, Jordan Eberle, Taylor Hall, etc. who wouldn't make the cut.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad