The 2016 U-18 World Championship Thread

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
How can you pretend guys that Nylander was not a catalyst for his team? Yes he didnt score but has created space for the others, still the player with the most points and shots in the game. He was also used on almost all the critics situations and answered great.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Those attributes plus his superior skating ability make him a top ten pick. His skating ability will allow him to gain the separation he will need to succeed at the NHL level. Jost is a nice player, but you saw last night when facing high end talent he is easier to shutdown that an elite skater like McLeod. Let's talk potential. To me Jost is a Mike Richards type of player. McLeod is a Jeff Carter. Who would you prefer?

McLeod shoots like a peewee level player lmao

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Jeff Carter with a worse shot is not a very good player. Not to mention Richards was considered infinitely better until injuries and alcohol did him in.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Jeff Carter with a worse shot is not a very good player. Not to mention Richards was considered infinitely better until injuries and alcohol did him in.

I see more Bergeron in Jost.. Although, I think Jost can shoot the puck better than Bergeron but Bergeron's defensive acumen is a lot better.

That's a ceiling, anyways, that type of center.

parachutist2

Jun 28, 2015
I see more Bergeron in Jost.. Although, I think Jost can shoot the puck better than Bergeron but Bergeron's defensive acumen is a lot better.

That's a ceiling, anyways, that type of center.

Jost = Derek Stepan
Smart two-way centerman, good vision, reliable, not flashy but skilled and always making the right plays.

Bergeron is a god. His puck protection, two way play and hockey IQ is something else.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Stepan is a good comparison for Jost...

Stepan is a good comparison for what he would likely become, but if everything went right, he could be one of those Bergeron-Toews -type- centers. Obviously, those guys are completely elite and if Jost was likely to develop into that, he'd be in the conversation for 1st overall.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Jost = Derek Stepan
Smart two-way centerman, good vision, reliable, not flashy but skilled and always making the right plays.

Bergeron is a god. His puck protection, two way play and hockey IQ is something else.

Nothing against Stepan but i don't think Stepan is what we need. I would prefer to try an homerun than playing it safe.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
You draft players on how you project they will be playing in three to five years from now. And if you want to win in the NHL you need big , mobile players who can impose their will, either through skating, skill or physicality on the game . Last night you saw McLeod impose his will on the course of the game. His speed and puck transporting ability intimidated the Swedes. Once he had the puck they were in full retreat which opened up the ice for his wingers. Every time he was on the ice Canada was a threat. He has size, passion, can win faceoffs and sees the ice well . When you have the chance to draft that type of skating, you don't hesitate. As I said earlier, I hope he falls to us in the draft.

Argh... precisely the type of player I don't want us to draft with a top 10 pick.

Can we please draft some skill ? Guys who actually have a small chance to become elite scorers ? That's what we've lacked for the past 25 years ! Drafting a guy like McLeod is throwing away a top 10 chance at doing that. The type of players you describe you can usually get middle to late first round. That's the lowest we're likely to draft for the foreseeable future. Let's not waste that chance on a "safe" pick. A guy with almost no real goal scorer upside.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I don't know if McLeod actually raised his game when the competition got tougher that says something.

Jost dominating against weaker teams isn't wholly impressive. Correct me if I'm wrong. I didn't watch so my opinion means nothing.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I don't know if McLeod actually raised his game when the competition got tougher that says something.

Jost dominating against weaker teams isn't wholly impressive. Correct me if I'm wrong. I didn't watch so my opinion means nothing.

They ended up with the same contribution on the score board. Sure, McLeod might have had more scoring chances on his stick but you saw when he had them that.. he doesn't convert.

Andreas Dackell used to get a **** load of scoring chances and could never finish.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
They ended up with the same contribution on the score board. Sure, McLeod might have had more scoring chances on his stick but you saw when he had them that.. he doesn't convert.

Andreas Dackell used to get a **** load of scoring chances and could never finish.

hahaha. i thought that was more Bulis ;)

I have no dog in this race. I just don't know if I'm ready to be sold on Jost dominating weak teams. And again I haven't seen either so my opinion means nil.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
hahaha. i thought that was more Bulis ;)

I have no dog in this race. I just don't know if I'm ready to be sold on Jost dominating weak teams. And again I haven't seen either so my opinion means nil.

The BCHL is not a great league.

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014

Dude, get your substances right, it was the Oxy that did him in :sarcasm:

Jeff Carter was an elite player in 2011.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002

I don't know if we were watching the same game. McLeod was a driving force against a highly skilled team. He intimidated the opposition with his speed. The tempo of the game changed when his line was on the ice. He played in all critical situations, power plays and penalty killing, was great defensively, took and won important face offs, played physical and was a menacing fore checker all game long. I don't really care how a player plays against the Danes, the Swiss or the Mexicans. But how do they play and fare against the elite competition. I think McLeod showed up well. His ceiling when he physically matures is very high. That's the type player you draft.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I don't know if we were watching the same game. McLeod was a driving force against a highly skilled team. He intimidated the opposition with his speed. The tempo of the game changed when his line was on the ice. He played in all critical situations, power plays and penalty killing, was great defensively, took and won important face offs, played physical and was a menacing fore checker all game long. I don't really care how a player plays against the Danes, the Swiss or the Mexicans. But how do they play and fare against the elite competition. I think McLeod showed up well. His ceiling when he physically matures is very high. That's the type player you draft.

He's more physically mature than most of the people in this draft and he still doesn't put up points, he couldn't without Nylander, and he's not producing very well comparatively to the talent on his wings and the team he;s playing on. All that will happen is OTHER players will physically mature and McLeod will lose the advantage he has and become even worse than he already is.

I'm not saying there aren't good facets in his game.. but they are all irrelevant because when it comes down to it, he doesn't produce and his production will be even worse as he moves up levels. He doesn't have it offensively.

There are countless times where McLeod will find himself in a good position and make such a bone headed play. He literally doesn't not think the game well offensively.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
He's more physically mature than most of the people in this draft and he still doesn't put up points, he couldn't without Nylander, and he's not producing very well comparatively to the talent on his wings and the team he;s playing on. All that will happen is OTHER players will physically mature and McLeod will lose the advantage he has and become even worse than he already is.

I'm not saying there aren't good facets in his game.. but they are all irrelevant because when it comes down to it, he doesn't produce and his production will be even worse as he moves up levels. He doesn't have it offensively.

There are countless times where McLeod will find himself in a good position and make such a bone headed play. He literally doesn't not think the game well offensively.

If this is true then I'd say no. I don't want an Eller at #9. No disrespect to Eller.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
How exactly did Nylander -lead- his team, he didn't score, which is his calling card.

I like Nylander too.. I have Jost ahead because he's a full package, but if you go on just offensive talent alone, yes, Nylander is a more deadly offensive force.

Honestly, we should be pretty happy with either jost or nylander

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Canada's goaltending has done them in 4-1.

Doubt there will be much of an impression made by the Canadian players today.. game is out of reach. Early, though, junior hockey, comebacks can happen.

This is where we will tell which of the players go to war.

Apr 3, 2010
Halifax
Keller with another primary assist.

Canada's goaltending has done them in 4-1.

Doubt there will be much of an impression made by the Canadian players today.. game is out of reach. Early, though, junior hockey, comebacks can happen.

This is where we will tell which of the players go to war.

You say that, but wait until McLeod makes it 8-2 in the third :sarcasm:

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Keller is still my guy... I have a gut feeling when it comes to this guy.

Wouldn't be disappointed with Jost or Nylander either. We should get a good one at our spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad