The 2016 U-18 World Championship Thread

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
6-1

Ouch, looks like the boys just could not come to play after last night's disappointing loss.

Throw this game out and burn it.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
so what's the knock on Keller?

I thought he was 5'8. 5'10 ain't bad. Is he more dynamic offensively than Jost but not as much a complete game?

Doesn't seem like a TT pick. Anyone take him over Jost?

Apr 3, 2010
Halifax
so what's the knock on Keller?

I thought he was 5'8. 5'10 ain't bad. Is he more dynamic offensively than Jost but not as much a complete game?

Doesn't seem like a TT pick. Anyone take him over Jost?

Most here probably wouldn't. He would be a good pick all things considered.

Best case scenario has him going ahead of us, making it more likely for someone our management would value a lot to fall.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
The one knock I have with Keller is how slight he is, he's got a very small frame and I don't know how the rigors of the pro game are gonna affect him. But his vision and smarts are plus plus, no doubts about it.

HFranky

Jan 8, 2009
If we want to pick Jost (or maybe Nylander), two teams ahead of us have to draft defensemen and I'm not convinced it will happen.

I think by the time we pick : mathews, laine, puljujarvi, tkachuk, dubois, nylander, jost and one of sergachev juolevi or chychrun are all taken. (Obviously for the first ones).

All those wins against Buffalo...

Last edited:

HFranky

Jan 8, 2009

Nylander*

Updated my post too, it will be harder to get Jost then what I first said. (Miscalculated my stuff)

I'd be more than ok with keller though. I watched all the USA games and he has some raw skills that I did't see from any other canadian or american players.

Last edited:

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Most here probably wouldn't. He would be a good pick all things considered.

Best case scenario has him going ahead of us, making it more likely for someone our management would value a lot to fall.

I'm a fan of both Keller and Jost.

I wouldn't be mad if we pick Keller ahead of Jost. I would pick Nylander before those two though.

Apr 3, 2010
Halifax
If we want to pick Jost (or maybe Nylander), two teams ahead of us have to draft defensemen and I'm not convinced it will happen.

I think by the time we pick : mathews, laine, puljujarvi, tkachuk, dubois, nylander, jost and one of sergachev juolevi or chychrun are all taken. (Obviously for the first ones).

All those wins against Buffalo...

Juolevi would be better than all the forwards ranked around our pick. Chychrun would probably be a wash at worst.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I'd rather draft Keller than drafting a D.

Same here. Sure, he's small, but it's not unreasonable to think he'll grow another inch and pack on 15lbs or so before he makes it to the NHL. He looked pretty good today in the bronze medal game.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I want the Swedish d-man Moverare.

'Cause in french, if he makes bad plays, we could easily say...."Y'est mauvais rare...". :D

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Logan Brown proved in this tournament that he is right there talentwise with Jost and Keller, but he has the size that would be a perfect fit for the Habs. I am surprised that he is not ahead of the two smaller options on the list of most here. Development is also slower for big tall guys like him, so I think he has a higher ceiling.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Logan Brown proved in this tournament that he is right there talentwise with Jost and Keller, but he has the size that would be a perfect fit for the Habs. I am surprised that he is not ahead of the two smaller options on the list of most here. Development is also slower for big tall guys like him, so I think he has a higher ceiling.

Brown proved through the stats that he is. Not through the way he's playing. And just by looking at the way they are playing, their IQ, just seeing him behind those games should tell you a whole lot. Brown benefits right now from being so much bigger than everyone else. Look at his agility, footspeed, and the rest, translate that into the NHL, and AS OF NOW, I don't see top 6. Will he improve? Where's his ceiling? Well that the whole draft game.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
haven't watched the quarters, semis and finals yet because of my exams and assignments. That being said, the Finns have another pretty impressive group of 16 year olds. Outside of Pulju, most of their U18 team is driven by 99's. They have some legit players for the draft again next year.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada

Devlopment for big players might be slower when they reach the AHL and NHL.... but they should still be able to dominate when playing in junior hockey against their own peer group. The idea that a big guy has a higher ceiling than his numbers and play suggests when facing his peers is something that a look at historical data doesn't really support. The place you see the first struggles is usually when they go up in age.

That said, he doesn't skate well enough for a top 10 pick IMO. Mid-teens maybe, but this pick should be about getting a top line forward or top pairing dman. I think Brown has some huge questions about top line potential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad