Prospect Info: The 2015 NHL Draft Thread Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I'm all about getting Zacha or Barzal barring no Marner or Strome... But I'm starting to warm to the idea of Crouse at 6. I know it's not popular but I really don't see him as a bad pick at 6

I like Crouse as a prospect, just not on this Devils team where it's at now.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Zacha or Barzal is what this team needs though.

A big winger is useless without a center to play with him.

What the team needs now may be very different than what the team needs when our pick at #6 is ready to play in the NHL.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
What the team needs now may be very different than what the team needs when our pick at #6 is ready to play in the NHL.

There's nothing in our future that can bring what Barzal or Zacha can. There's also nothing that can bring what Crouse can.

However, I think Barzal and Zacha are much more important to a team than a guy like Crouse.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Zacha or Barzal is what this team needs though.

A big winger is useless without a center to play with him.

There is a very real chance zacha becomes a big winger.

We need both so it's not a big deal but I wouldn't just disqualify a prospect because they play wing when most likely these other guys at center are going to end up at wing anyway. (Not just zacha either.)

After the big two there are only a few kids skill sets that seem to scream center. The rest seem more likely destined for the wing.

Which is again fine because we need top 6 wings as well.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
There's nothing in our future that can bring what Barzal or Zacha can. There's also nothing that can bring what Crouse can.

However, I think Barzal and Zacha are much more important to a team than a guy like Crouse.

Could trade for players.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Does the fact that Zacha was essentially groomed from birth by a demanding father give pause to anyone else? Such a strange story.

His work rate has never been a negative that I've seen, but it's just weird that hockey wasn't a choice for him.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013

We need both so it's not a big deal but I wouldn't just disqualify a prospect because they play wing when most likely these other guys at center are going to end up at wing anyway. (Not just zacha either.)

After the big two there are only a few kids skill sets that seem to scream center. The rest seem more likely destined for the wing.

If he does though, he'll be a different type of player. They'd both be big and play on the wing but have differing skillsets.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
I would rather Crouse than Zacha.

Despite being sub PPG, Crouse led his team in scoring and is one of the youngest players (still 17) in the draft.

Crouse was fourth on his team in PPG with this being his second year in the OHL. Zacha had a similar PPG(Zacha-.92 and Crouse-.91) but this was his first year in North America and that would be 3rd on his team in PPG. And Zacha didn't have Bennett on his team even if it was just for 11 games. It's not like Zacha is a '96 birth, he was 17 for majority of his season too.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
If he does though, he'll be a different type of player. They'd both be big and play on the wing but have differing skillsets.

That is true, I'm just saying don't discount a highly ranked winger because of other players play center at the moment.

Zacha playing center right now should not be the reason to take him over Crouse. There are other reasons to potentially take him over Crouse, but position isn't one I would want to make that choice on.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
even if Barzal doesnt become a goalscorer, you can find those alot easier than great playmaking centers.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

From what I've read, Zacha and Barzal -- to an extent Rantanen -- seem like game-changers for me. They are the guys that have the skill to create for the guys around them. I've always seen guys like Crouse as more of the beneficiaries of the talent around them. For an example, if you put Lucic alongside Krejci, he's a very good player. If you put him alongside Zajac, I don't think he's the same player. I hate to use this terminology but I feel like players like Crouse are more of complimentary players while the Devils need more of the foundation-type players that the other guys seem to be.

It's more of a difference in opinion than anything. I just see a bigger need for Barzal and Zacha then Crouse. It's more of my personal opinion on how the Devils should build this team in the future. I'm solely basing this off what I've read, so I can be way off-base but that's my idea.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
From what I've read, Zacha and Barzal -- to an extent Rantanen -- seem like game-changers for me. They are the guys that have the skill to create for the guys around them. I've always seen guys like Crouse as more of the beneficiaries of the talent around them. For an example, if you put Lucic alongside Krejci, he's a very good player. If you put him alongside Zajac, I don't think he's the same player. I hate to use this terminology but I feel like players like Crouse are more of complimentary players while the Devils need more of the foundation-type players that the other guys seem to be.

It's more of a difference in opinion than anything. I just see a bigger need for Barzal and Zacha then Crouse. It's more of my personal opinion on how the Devils should build this team in the future. I'm solely basing this off what I've read, so I can be way off-base but that's my idea.

That makes more sense to me. Like I said I just wouldn't use Crouse playing wing and Zacha playing center as a reason to pick one over the other.

Game changing skill is definitely a reason to pick him.

As we just saw Button has no love for Zacha putting way back at 24.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
That makes more sense to me. Like I said I just wouldn't use Crouse playing wing and Zacha playing center as a reason to pick one over the other.

It doesn't mean Crouse is any less of a prospect, it just means I think he should go to a team that has the players that can create for him. He has game-changing skill, but just not in the area of creating for other teammates.

Philly seems like the perfect destination. They have their young D, they have a great center group in Giroux-Schenn-Couturier and he can slide right in on one of their wings. With the Devils, they don't have anywhere close to the caliber of centers to play with.

I know it's hard to predict the future, but this team is absolutely loaded with left handed prospects that either play center, left wing, or will likely shift from center to left wing. I know when drafting this high it's a stupid thing to consider, but it's just another reason for me to want to pick Barzal.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
There is a reason why Button is no longer an active NHL GM.

I find his insight informative at times and quite entertaining.

But I also take most of what he says with grains of salt.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013

Great, we can still trade back a few spots and still draft him.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
even if Barzal doesnt become a goalscorer, you can find those alot easier than great playmaking centers.

I believe the kid is a year away. He just needs to add muscle. His hockey IQ is off the charts, at least that's what I read and he's a guy who may help make Boucher a NHL goal scorer one day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad