Prospect Info: The 2015 NHL Draft Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
If Hanafin drops to us (which won't happen) you draft him no question. He is going to be an absolute stud.

No forward on the board by then will be in his level. Trade the pick if you get proper value but if the offers suck you draft him. He could easily be a #1 in the future. Get the forward via trade because he would make some of our higher level kids available.

The Dmen to worry about drafting is Kylington or Werkenski. If we take one of them over Barzal or Ranantan or Zacha (if still available) everyone would have a right to be pissed.

I agree.

Imagine a defense of the future that looks like:

Greene-Larsson
Hanifin-Severson
Merrill-Santini

That would be otherworldly. Forwards, on the other hand...

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I agree.

Imagine a defense of the future that looks like:

Greene-Larsson
Hanifin-Severson
Merrill-Santini

That would be otherworldly. Forwards, on the other hand...

Package and trade Gely and Merrill, and draft forwards in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, and if you still have next year's first use it on a forward, or trade it in a blockbuster package.

Again there is no way in hell Hanafin drops past 5 TOPS, and even that is unlikely. But for speculation sake, not drafting him is foolish.

I only take Strome or Marnar over him (and course the big 2)

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
There is no such thing. Trades of just drafted players don't happen, but there's no rule against it.

Trying to find the rule, but I'm pretty sure there's a waiting period before you can move a player that you drafted. There's a reason why picks are always moved prior to the selection. If it was allowed, you would always see stuff like in the NFL where the team drafts a player and then moves him to the highest bidder (ie: Eli Manning/Philip Rivers). I could just have an awful
memory, but I remember reading that there's a waiting period after you draft a player before you can assign his rights to another team.

Last edited:

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
There's no way Hanafin doesn't go top-3. He's the best defenseman in the draft by a wide margin, there's been at least one d-man taken in the Top 4 of every draft since 2003.

There's such an emphasis on drafting and developing defensemen in today's league and quite a few bottom teams need elite talent at that position.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
There's no way Hanafin doesn't go top-3. He's the best defenseman in the draft by a wide margin, there's been at least one d-man taken in the Top 4 of every draft since 2003.

There's such an emphasis on drafting and developing defensemen in today's league and quite a few bottom teams need elite talent at that position.

Hanifin will go third, no question. Too much uncertainty around guys like Marner and Strome. They have big upside, but they also have enough flaws that they could easily bust.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Trying to find the rule, but I'm pretty sure there's a waiting period before you can move a player that you drafted. There's a reason why picks are always moved prior to the selection. If it was allowed, you would always see stuff like in the NFL where the team drafts a player and then moves him to the highest bidder (ie: Eli Manning/Philip Rivers). I could just have an awful
memory, but I remember reading that there's a waiting period after you draft a player before you can assign his rights to another team.

I know for a fact the Sabres traded for Tim Kennedy within 10 minutes of the Capitals drafting him in 2005. Kennedy was a local Buffalo kid and the Caps swiped him one pick before Buffalo was on the board.

And of course there's the Lindros deal. It's very rare, but it happens.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

With baseball there is a year long waiting period. The Padres included their 2014 1st rounder Trea Turner as part of the deal to get Wil Myers. But officially, the Padres traded a player to be named later and Turner has to play in the minors for San Diego until mid-June.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
In baseball you can't even trade the picks though. It would make sense to allow it here where picks are tradable. If you're sitting there at #8 and a player unexpectedly falls to you that you want to deal, the time on the clock wouldn't be enough time, meaning a team would have to have negotiated every possible contingency before the draft.

AusDev

Jan 13, 2015
Hanifin will go third, no question. Too much uncertainty around guys like Marner and Strome. They have big upside, but they also have enough flaws that they could easily bust.

Yeah, I find it incredibly hard to see him dropping past 3, but I also saw no way that Seth Jones could make it to 4. Strange things happen. Some teams just seem to have a preference for forwards when picking that high in the draft. There is no way he is around at our pick though.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
Phoenix is only 4 points back of us after their win tonight. Columbus is only 2 and Toronto only 1. We easily could be back in the bottom 5 after this weekend since I expect them to get zero points. The Marner/Strome watch is back on.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Phoenix is only 4 points back of us after their win tonight. Columbus is only 2 and Toronto only 1. We easily could be back in the bottom 5 after this weekend since I expect them to get zero points. The Marner/Strome watch is back on.

Our upcoming schedule is still incredibly weak with Buffalo, Calgary, Phoenix, and Carolina at home. I know Calgary is decent this year, but I still don't see them as a real tough game.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Didn't really pay attention, but just realized that Buffalo has 3 first round picks again this year? ****ing insanity.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
Say Hanifin DOES fall to us (and with our winning streak being over and losing to teams like Edmonton of all teams, that looks possible)

Would you trade Hanifin/that pick and the 2016 first for McDavid/Echiel?

And does Buffalo or Edmonton do it?

Or do you roll with:

Greene-Larsson
Hanifin-Severson
Merrill-Santini

Which as mentioned would be so out of this world. That would bring us back to old time Devils hockey when we didn't need Kovys or Parises to win games. (However we need more then just 3rd line grinders as well...)

Two game losing streak and we just lost to EDM with 14 shots on goal.

We're sucking again. Don't worry.

Once we trade Jagr and possibly Elias it will be 10 shots on goal a game.

But Schneider will still get us the odd point or two.

I think we'll finish 5th. Not going to catch Buffalo, Edmonton and Carolina and Phoenix.

5th could really win the lotto.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
Once we trade Jagr and possibly Elias it will be 10 shots on goal a game.

But Schneider will still get us the odd point or two.

I think we'll finish 5th. Not going to catch Buffalo, Edmonton and Carolina and Phoenix.

5th could really win the lotto.

Carolina and Arizona could pass us. That's not unrealistic. Buffalo and Edmonton isn't happening. Edmonton would be a miracle if they go on a massive winning streak and we start bombing but I severely doubt it.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Say Hanifin DOES fall to us (and with our winning streak being over and losing to teams like Edmonton of all teams, that looks possible)

Would you trade Hanifin/that pick and the 2016 first for McDavid/Echiel?

And does Buffalo or Edmonton do it?

Or do you roll with:

Greene-Larsson
Hanifin-Severson
Merrill-Santini

Which as mentioned would be so out of this world. That would bring us back to old time Devils hockey when we didn't need Kovys or Parises to win games. (However we need more then just 3rd line grinders as well...)

If they bite, I'd take the trade, knowing that they're both serious game-breakers. OR, I would trade down picks with another team for their later 1st round pick and a solid prospect/player. If we can't get a solid deal for mcdavid/eichel, and we can trade down and still manage to snag strome/marner, i'd do it.

Carolina and Arizona could pass us. That's not unrealistic. Buffalo and Edmonton isn't happening. Edmonton would be a miracle if they go on a massive winning streak and we start bombing but I severely doubt it.

The problem with Carolina is we'll keep beating them. Arizona's schedule is chalk. First place teams left and right. They have 2 games late in the year vs. Buffalo other than that it's Ducks and Sharks 3 more times and an East coast swing.

But we do play them in Phoenix in March. we never beat them there, even when we were great. So it's not impossible.

Our problem is 2 fold. #1, Tons of home games. after we lose to Chicago and Nashville on the road, it's 9 of the next 10 at home. Before the trade deadline. These are games with Jagr, Elias, Zids, and Ruutu. All 4 I expect to be gone by the deadline (maybe not Elias). I don't care how bad you are, when you do have a very good goalie, you'll wins some of these home games.

Buf, Van, Car, ARZ, CGY, BOS, NSH, CBS, PHI.

I only see 2 mortal lock losses here. Boston and Nashville. Other than that, we can win the other 7 games.

That would SUCK.

#2 , Lou is behind the bench. Toronto and Carolina can lollygag all the want, The Devils will play hard each and every game since the boss man is five feet away from them, not in the press box. Lou will squeeze some extra points out of these guys when a DeBeor wouldn't have.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The schedule may be soft but now that they're REALLY out of it I'm expecting more 'efforts' like last night. If last night was us trying I'd hate to see the nuclear disaster not trying will be

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
If they bite, I'd take the trade, knowing that they're both serious game-breakers. OR, I would trade down picks with another team for their later 1st round pick and a solid prospect/player. If we can't get a solid deal for mcdavid/eichel, and we can trade down and still manage to snag strome/marner, i'd do it.

Unless it lands you in a spot where you get Barzal/Zacha back to back or something nutty like that then I really don't see the advantages in trading down.

Also, I don't care how easy the schedule is, if we can only register 14 shots on Edmonton then we can lose to anyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad