Prospect Info: The 2015 Draft Thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Just watched Rantanen WJC highlights, and wow he's better than I thought. Tell me if you have a better comparison, but he reminds me of Rick Nash a lot. Definitely could see Conte/Lou love him because of their current obsession to make us the eastern LA Kings.

He's big and he can certainly score, but his skating and playmaking are his biggest assets.

Sorry but the Kings comment went over my head. I'm not sure how Rantanen fits the Kings mold and I don't see how the FO is trying to emulate them...?

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Just watched Rantanen WJC highlights, and wow he's better than I thought. Tell me if you have a better comparison, but he reminds me of Rick Nash a lot. Definitely could see Conte/Lou love him because of their current obsession to make us the eastern LA Kings.

I love Rantanen and I think his value will continue rising up to the draft.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I love Rantanen and I think his value will continue rising up to the draft.

I'm liking him more and more and liking Zacha less and less. I'd take 'em all over Crouse, but Zacha's lack of high-level offense in the games he's played so far bothers me a bit. Still hoping we're lucky enough to end up with Marner or Strome.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I'm liking him more and more and liking Zacha less and less. I'd take 'em all over Crouse, but Zacha's lack of high-level offense in the games he's played so far bothers me a bit. Still hoping we're lucky enough to end up with Marner or Strome.

I say we have a better chance at McDavid then Marnar or Strome at this point.

I do like Ranatan though, but if we are looking centers. I still like Barzal more then Zacha. Ya Zacha is bigger, but I see more offensive skill and upside with Barzal. Kid is really creative and good with his stick.

schoenfeld

2 Way Contract
Dec 10, 2006
i just hope whoever we draft can score some goals and isnt a complete black hole in his own end.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
We may have to settle for Colin White, which wouldn't be bad, because either we're playing well or the whole league is tanking.

Almost ever mock draft has Barzal at around 11th or 12th. So at LEAST he should be on the board still when we pick unless we actually make the playoffs.

No way the first 8 or so picks are almost all forwards. Some of the D guys will go leaving at least one of Zacha, Ranatan, Barzal on the board for us.

AusDev

Jan 13, 2015
I'd be thrilled with Barzal

From what people have been saying about him, and from the few clips I've seen, he sounds somewhat similar to Gomez when he entered the league. That wouldn't be a bad consolation prize. It's been a while since we've had a genuine playmaking centre.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
From what people have been saying about him, and from the few clips I've seen, he sounds somewhat similar to Gomez when he entered the league. That wouldn't be a bad consolation prize. It's been a while since we've had a genuine playmaking centre.

Ya he isn't big, but he seems really smart and very nifty with his skating and stick work. Seems more playmaker, but a potentially a high quality one, one that can make his wings better.

Ya I can see why some would see Gomez, and that would be excellent considering what Gomez was for us before he left.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
Right now the only time wins bother me are when guys like Ruutu and Bernier are the ones scoring. Feels like a waste. I can deal with wins when guys like Henrique and Larsson are scoring/putting up points. So basically I'm cool with the young core doing good things to hurt our draft position but get pissed when scrubs score to ruin our draft position. If that makes any sense.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Right now the only time wins bother me are when guys like Ruutu and Bernier are the ones scoring. Feels like a waste. I can deal with wins when guys like Henrique and Larsson are scoring/putting up points. So basically I'm cool with the young core doing good things to hurt our draft position but get pissed when scrubs score to ruin our draft position. If that makes any sense.

Lars got two points tonight, and the Bernier goal was pretty much his, just happened to bounce of Bernier's skates.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

It doesn't make any sense to me, but to each their own. I can't get upset over the team winning, no matter who's responsible for it. I'd rather our kids play on a team that is trying to be competitive than one that is just going through the motions.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
If we really want a center (my first choice) with that first pick, that's no a reason to not take Rantanen. Sure, he's been playing a lot of RW, but he has the natural skillset to be a very good NHL center as well. He has played the position and considers it his more natural position. The article below is from local media (run through google translate) talking more about this in depth. I realize I'm in the minority here, but after watching him and reading enough reports, if the Devils took him around #10 and then began grooming him to be their 1C I'd be very excited.

https://translate.googleusercontent...164125&usg=ALkJrhira29rqXMJN9yDNel6emE6lAI0NA

AusDev

Jan 13, 2015
If we really want a center (my first choice) with that first pick, that's no a reason to not take Rantanen. Sure, he's been playing a lot of RW, but he has the natural skillset to be a very good NHL center as well. He has played the position and considers it his more natural position. The article below is from local media (run through google translate) talking more about this in depth. I realize I'm in the minority here, but after watching him and reading enough reports, if the Devils took him around #10 and then began grooming him to be their 1C I'd be very excited.

https://translate.googleusercontent...164125&usg=ALkJrhira29rqXMJN9yDNel6emE6lAI0NA

I don't think anyone around here would have too much of an issue with that.

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
I don't think anyone around here would have too much of an issue with that.

I personally think its a very dumb idea to try and groom a player to a different position than to what they were drafted as. Only way is if they had enough experience at that position. Look at Seguin. Off-ice issues aside, Boston converted him to winger and he just had that one missing gear. Then gets traded to Dallas, moves back to his natural position, and becomes an instant star. Draft a center? Play him at center. Draft a winger? Play him at the wing. Got too many centers? Got too many wingers? Trade one for an established winger or center. Now you have a strong young player and you filled a need; not potentially ruined a players development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad