GDT: The 2014 Playoffs Talk: Outside Looking In Edition

JulianHopper*

Great Game to End Playoffs and 2013-2014 Season

A good game and very exciting overtime periods. How did the Rangers not win that game?

Brad Richards in the first OT on the power play had a wide open net and hesitated for a split second and it was gone. Rick Nash as well with 2 really good chances but couldn't score.

Ryan McDonagh hits the post and had at least one other good chance.

Kings had a few as well but the Rangers really had the better chances as well as the 2 power plays in overtime.

Can't really blame Henry Lundqvist at all here as he played great, stopping 48 of 51 shots, just unreal.

Congratulations to the Kings for winning another championship, you can tell they have a good group of guys there and it's all about team.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Because the Rangers just aren't that good, remember?

Shots fired.

shotsfired.gif

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
As much as the media says otherwise, if the hockey Gods were on the Rangers side, the Rangers could of very easily won that series. It was actually very close, I've never seen so many close calls in regards to bounces and what not decide games, let alone in a SCF.

Saying a team is not that good, means that your implying they are below average, which is a hysterically inaccurate statement. They have the best goaltender in the world, with a very good defence. Their forwards are not great, but they are far from bad. They have a very nice mix of size, speed, skill, youth and vets. Outside of Boston, I'm not surprised they came out of the East at all. No team in the history of the NHL just fell into the SCF for being not that good, it's actually quite a ridiculous statement.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
As much as the media says otherwise, if the hockey Gods were on the Rangers side, the Rangers could of very easily won that series. It was actually very close, I've never seen so many close calls in regards to bounces and what not decide games, let alone in a SCF.

Saying a team is not that good, means that your implying they are below average, which is a hysterically inaccurate statement. They have the best goaltender in the world, with a very good defence. Their forwards are not great, but they are far from bad. They have a very nice mix of size, speed, skill, youth and vets. Outside of Boston, I'm not surprised they came out of the East at all. No team in the history of the NHL just fell into the SCF for being not that good, it's actually quite a ridiculous statement.

They had a former Conn Smythe winner, last season's Art Ross winner, and a former Rocket Richard winner among their forward corps, so they aren't exactly slouches either.

This series was the equivalent of a tennis match which ends 7-6,7-6,4-6,7-6. You wouldn't ever call that a blow-out. The Kings won exactly one game in regulation. The Rangers had every right to be in that finals, and as you say, with different luck they could have pulled it out.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
They had a former Conn Smythe winner, last season's Art Ross winner, and a former Rocket Richard winner among their forward corps, so they aren't exactly slouches either.

This series was the equivalent of a tennis match which ends 7-6,7-6,4-6,7-6. You wouldn't ever call that a blow-out. The Kings won exactly one game in regulation. The Rangers had every right to be in that finals, and as you say, with different luck they could have pulled it out.

I agree, the Rangers are more than okay up front (re-reading my post I didn't emphasize that enough by just stating they are far from bad). Nash and Richards aren't playing at the top of their games, but nonetheless they are still very effective. Stepan is a very underrated player, he's a small cut under becoming a star. Kreider had a great season, a really big body and a guy that plays hard and can score. MSL is MSL, Zucarello and Brassard are dangerous players. Boyle actually had a really good series to scoring clutch goals and being a key FO guy. And again, I really like their mix of youth and vets. I'm not a huge Rangers fan, but I think most hockey people, including the LA King players themselves would give the Rags lots of credit, as you mentioned it was a very tight series.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
the Flames board HF bracket challenge has a winner too.

Flames CBA comes out on top with 182 points.
Gillies32 was 2nd with 172 points.
I finished 3rd with 151 points.
Saint M got 4th with 103 points.
And Nordberg wraps up the top 5 with 97 points.

Anglesmith brings up the rear with an underwhelming 30 points. It appears his GDT abilities rubbed off on his predictions :sarcasm:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
No comment :laugh:

Seriously though there's a lot luck involved with those things, it's really hard to guess right all the way through. Its cool you guys did that well.
:laugh:

Yeah, it's mostly luck. Especially with how many upsets there were. There is a guy on the main board that finished 5th (out of everyone, not just in a league), he had a perfect bracket but didn't get enough bonus points for the length of series in round #1. Talk about bad luck :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad