Rumor: That has GM Garth Snow working the phones.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
Would've been nice to see this thread title- in May 2013.

I think in May 2013 we all gave Garth a pass and we hoped/believed with the arena deal finally settled and Isles being BK bound that this off season would of been the summer where the Islanders would of taken that next step. I wasnt expecting them to break the bank and go on a FA spending spree but atleast make some smart moves to really solidify the teams weaknesses. Especially with the new divisions, It would of been perfect for GM Snow to make moves to prove we werent a playoff fluke and we want more then a 6 game post season cup of coffee. That 2014 would be a real SHIFT IN POWER.

Instead we got Clutterbuck, Regin, PMB and nabby/poulin and we brought back Martinek.

like Charlie Brown we believed Lucy yet again

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Bailys contract looked awful immediately after he signed it!!! I have been a Bailey hater for years. I was happy that he finally produced but you dont give someone a contract based on 6 games in the playoffs. What was he going to do? Sit out!?!?

He will be our next buyout!

I agree wholeheartedly. Everyone was in a rush to get that contract done and I kept saying to wait. I wouldn't have cared if he walked, went to arbitration, whatever. I knew it was going to be more inconsistency from him. His work ethic cannot be lumped in with guys like Nielsen, Grabner and Okposo. I don't think his contract is completely unmovable, but definitely an overpayment and we have no choice but to sit it out and see if this guy can ever reach his potential as an Islander. He's in desperate need of a change of scenery imo. Fans over on the Washington board seemed split 50/50 on my trade proposal including Bailey.

BigWorm

Mar 10, 2013
I agree wholeheartedly. Everyone was in a rush to get that contract done and I kept saying to wait. I wouldn't have cared if he walked, went to arbitration, whatever. I knew it was going to be more inconsistency from him. His work ethic cannot be lumped in with guys like Nielsen, Grabner and Okposo. I don't think his contract is completely unmovable, but definitely an overpayment and we have no choice but to sit it out and see if this guy can ever reach his potential as an Islander. He's in desperate need of a change of scenery imo. Fans over on the Washington board seemed split 50/50 on my trade proposal including Bailey.

We controlled his rights as a RFA after this year. Doling out what is an albatross of a contract, at that time was foolish. For all of the Bailey hate recently, I don't get it. He is on course for his typical career numbers. Around 30-35 points a year, the only difference is 3.3 per. Good luck dumping that salary.

Oh well, I guess he came cheap.:naughty:

scott99

May 13, 2005
Great. Garth hasn't destroyed this team enough yet. Let's see how much worse he can make it

Actually channel 12 is running with the story too. Saying the Isles are trying to get Ryan Miller. Miller has been linked to the Islanders for several months, maybe it'll happen. I'd give up Bailey or Grabner, but that's it. Maybe some 3rd round picks or a guy like Persson or Poulin/Nilsson. In fact, Bailey, Poulin and a 3rd round pick would be my offer. Oddly enough, I don't think Miller would help us that much, he's 34 and in the downswing.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Bailys contract looked awful immediately after he signed it!!! I have been a Bailey hater for years. I was happy that he finally produced but you dont give someone a contract based on 6 games in the playoffs. What was he going to do? Sit out!?!?

He will be our next buyout!

What's Miller supposed to do with this defense? Spread it across the clubhouse floor and plant maise? If Garf moves anyone for a goaltender and doesn't fix the defense it will be a big mistake. Or at least get us a decent goaltender who isn't a few years from kicking the bucket. Trading for Miller and watching him walk at the end of the year would be ludicrous.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
Actually channel 12 is running with the story too. Saying the Isles are trying to get Ryan Miller. Miller has been linked to the Islanders for several months, maybe it'll happen. I'd give up Bailey or Grabner, but that's it. Maybe some 3rd round picks or a guy like Persson or Poulin/Nilsson. In fact, Bailey, Poulin and a 3rd round pick would be my offer. Oddly enough, I don't think Miller would help us that much, he's 34 and in the downswing.

At 34 he is the perfect stop gap we need while we go out and draft/groom a future #1 in 3-4 yrs

scott99

May 13, 2005
At 34 he is the perfect stop gap we need while we go out and draft/groom a future #1 in 3-4 yrs

We already drafted our #1 last year in MacAdam or Williams. They are already playing Islander's style goal at their respective colleges. Also we drafted Rosen in 2010, so we are set.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
i dont understand how you can look at the way this defense has played and say, oh yeah, its the goaltenders fault. its the DEFENSE that needs an upgrade first and foremost, so lets get a 1st line winger and a goaltender. awesome.

lacunacoil777

Feb 11, 2013
Defensmen are boring, hence throw millions at bailey and clutterbuck instead of #2,#3 type of defensemen who hit free agency.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
i dont understand how you can look at the way this defense has played and say, oh yeah, its the goaltenders fault. its the DEFENSE that needs an upgrade first and foremost, so lets get a 1st line winger and a goaltender. awesome.

Trading for a goaltender is easier than a top-4 defensemen.

BigWorm

Mar 10, 2013

You think Buffalo is going to add Bailey's contract. He is untradeable at this point. Lets just hope he starts playing better and lives up to that contract.

What other choice do we have? He's not going anywhere soon and Garth put the nail in that coffin.

I want Bailey to be that fake rabbit that all of the greyhounds chase around the track. Unfortunately after that contract he is more like the piece of gum you find under a desk.

Last edited:

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
We already drafted our #1 last year in MacAdam or Williams. They are already playing Islander's style goal at their respective colleges. Also we drafted Rosen in 2010, so we are set.

LMAO Rosen.. Taylor Cammarata will be a Norris/Calder trophy winner before Cody plays

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
ame for Wang who wouldn't have achieved so much corporately without a certain degree of competence.

It's puzzling how much mediocrity/failure is "accepted" - as in, nobody seems to be accountable for continued poor (horrible?) results?!

Yet, you continue to assume that this is a problem for the folks that write the checks. We don't know their motivations or their mindset. People's ideals and mentality change over time, especially when they have become successful. Wang has insulated himself by surrounding himself with people that tell him what he wants to hear. Everyone that's voiced any degree of dissent or criticism has been snubbed out of the picture almost immediately. It's a giant circle jerk and it's why this infantile crap with "Fire Snow" and "Fire Capuano" and "keep Reinhart" and "Strome on the 1st line" doesn't ****ing matter one bit. Blah blah blah.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
There was a Staple tweet from a week ago, where he wrote Snow wants a defenseman who is not a rental, but Snow does not want to move top prospects or top young nhlers for this blueline addition.

Does Snow realize we are past the first week of July? He is not trading for a quality defenseman without giving up something of value.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
There was a Staple tweet from a week ago, where he wrote Snow wants a defenseman who is not a rental, but Snow does not want to move top prospects or top young nhlers for this blueline addition.

Does Snow realize we are past the first week of July? He is not trading for a quality defenseman without giving up something of value.

So, he'll move valuable picks in the Vanek deal for a rental, but not a necessity. Smart move. Yet, everyone knew (knows) the D and G were a necessity.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Did Snow get his Pizza in 30 minutes or less ? I hear he was working the phones.

Seriously though, He probably just sent a blurb to the media to stop or delay the complaining by fans. I doubt very much that Snow was working on improving the team.

Last edited:

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Is there a telethon going on somewhere?
I get nervous when he is ramping up to make a trade. PLEASE get us a defenseman who is an NHL quality #2 or #3(being realistic here) under the age of 35 if you do anything. Split up Hamonic and AMac, and let Cappy play someone else on the PP.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00