Rumor: That has GM Garth Snow working the phones.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Lol....one of the most surprising and puzzling Snow decisions, was his Nabby announcement 2-3 days after the Pens series ended.

Everyone is speculating on which goalie Snow would bring in , after Nabby's shaky postseason. Then Snow announces he wants Nabby back.

It was BY FAR the easiest thing for Snow to do. I am 100% convinced that he doesn't enjoy all of the work that a GM of a pro sports team actually has to do. Which is probably one of the reasons why he doesn't do a lot of that work.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
We need a goalie now....yeah....so ignore our defense and coach for a little bit. Just fire Snow already, Wang....and then go boar hunting or mountaineering afterwards, pls.

Twitter doesn't seem broken today, yet no accountability firings from Wang? Or Snow?
Bizarre.

Maybe losing is just fine in their eyes.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Twitter doesn't seem broken today, yet no accountability firings from Wang? Or Snow?
Bizarre.

It's just pure indifference on everyone involved. Owner doesn't care, GM doesn't care, Coach doesn't have a clue, and most of the players don't seem to care. Only Tavares, Hamonic, Cizikas, Martin and Clutterbuck seem to care.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
Bizarre.

Winning would boost attendance and make the team money. Forbes has our losses down significantly this latest report. If we suddenly made THE RIGHT MOVES and brought in a much, much needed defenseman and started winning and playing great hockey....whether it be with a new coach or the right guys out there to play the game....would making a boatload {in comparison} at NVMC work in Wang's favor?

No. Brooklyn's first year HAS TO show tons of money coming in and NVMC has to show no money could be had there.

Snow's moves HAVE TO prove he did all he could {a Wang era mantra} and Capuano has to be spared from AN UNFAIR LEAGUE where no one would come to LI no matter what.

Otherwise, we'd just have an owner who hired/fired the wrong people and whose actions prohibit success.

WE CANNOT HAVE ACCOUNTABILITY! It would put blame at our owner's feet!

So losing is fine...it's out of our hands if we continue to shield Snow and Wang from blame. Moulson couldn't get us a good defenseman....not a star defenseman, but a good one - the league is UNFAIR. Donovan is as good or will be as good as Streit. It's just an unfair league that makes our defense worse this year. I could go on....

But we both know we needed a better goalie after the Pitt series and did not get one. We needed a solid vet defender for the first pairing but got nothing - MacDonald was sold as one to fans and continues to be overplayed because the league is unfair. The defense sucking DOES make the fwd corps worse....I'll admit this.

But rather than grab a defenseman to help the goalies play better and fwds play better.....Snow's on the phone trying to get a GOALIE?!?!?!?!?!?

When is anyone going to mention Snow is not doing his job?

And this, Scott, is why I see not everyone giving a ****. There's also a Candyland culture where I see players every game celebrating each runway walk with bumps and high fives. I'd much rather see them all pi**ed off and hungry. But it's probably hard to see that hunger if they know things are not going to improve. So......delusion. Candyland culture.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
Winning would boost attendance and make the team money. Forbes has our losses down significantly this latest report. If we suddenly made THE RIGHT MOVES and brought in a much, much needed defenseman and started winning and playing great hockey....whether it be with a new coach or the right guys out there to play the game....would making a boatload {in comparison} at NVMC work in Wang's favor?

No. Brooklyn's first year HAS TO show tons of money coming in and NVMC has to show no money could be had there.

Snow's moves HAVE TO prove he did all he could {a Wang era mantra} and Capuano has to be spared from AN UNFAIR LEAGUE where no one would come to LI no matter what.

Otherwise, we'd just have an owner who hired/fired the wrong people and whose actions prohibit success.

WE CANNOT HAVE ACCOUNTABILITY! It would put blame at our owner's feet!

So losing is fine...it's out of our hands if we continue to shield Snow and Wang from blame. Moulson couldn't get us a good defenseman....not a star defenseman, but a good one - the league is UNFAIR. Donovan is as good or will be as good as Streit. It's just an unfair league that makes our defense worse this year. I could go on....

But we both know we needed a better goalie after the Pitt series and did not get one. We needed a solid vet defender for the first pairing but got nothing - MacDonald was sold as one to fans and continues to be overplayed because the league is unfair. The defense sucking DOES make the fwd corps worse....I'll admit this.

But rather than grab a defenseman to help the goalies play better and fwds play better.....Snow's on the phone trying to get a GOALIE?!?!?!?!?!?

When is anyone going to mention Snow is not doing his job?

And this, Scott, is why I see not everyone giving a ****. There's also a Candyland culture where I see players every game celebrating each runway walk with bumps and high fives. I'd much rather see them all pi**ed off and hungry. But it's probably hard to see that hunger if they know things are not going to improve. So......delusion. Candyland culture.

this sums it all up!

and it definitely will make Wang able to point the blame at NVMC when BK brings more money. It's very apparent they are treating this year and next as a mulligan rather than trying to build momentum into the move

scott99

May 13, 2005
I would trade Bailey to Carolina for Khudobin or Peters. Then trade Grabner, Bouchard and Regin for defensive help. Bring up Strome and Lee to play with Nelson. Of course dump Cappy.

nyisles

Apr 4, 2006
Western Suffolk
Garth "working the phones"? Maybe ringing up Domino's, Ricky D, and those two chicks from his famous photo. As for calling other GMs... halp.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Garth "working the phones"? Maybe ringing up Domino's, Ricky D, and those two chicks from his famous photo. As for calling other GMs... halp.

He's calling Bob McKenzie:
Snow: "Hey, do you have Prince Albert in the Can?" snicker
McKenzie: "That wasn't funny the first 20 times Garth."
Snow: "Would you like a job next year?"
McKenzie: "Like I told you before, I am not planting bogus stories about you trying to trade for defense or goaltending, and no I am not interested in being one of Wang's zombies, particularly for food stamps. Call me back when you get a real coach. Bye now."

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Sad, really sad. This was 1000 percent avoidable starting in May 2013. The Isles had the entire offseason and draft to fix these well-documented and obvious to everyone in hockey issues.

Yet, with some buzz around the franchise and people saying, hey they might have turned the corner, Wang cheaps out and Snow misses big time in the offseaon.

If you wanted to mean business (as some said about the Vanek trade), then you shore up your well-documented holes BEFORE the season to give the team time to gel and put other teams on notice. But, nope, Wang and Snow are smarter than everyone else.

You overpay a player or two to take that next step. Wang has already been burned by own his dumb deals ( Yashin? DP? And the proposed Peca deal?), so now he is chicken poop shy and sees light at the end of the tunnel with the BC payments that he's just trying to squeeze out two more years of cheapness. Don't worry,he's THE hero folks. :laugh:

BigWorm

Mar 10, 2013
I would trade Bailey to Carolina for Khudobin or Peters. Then trade Grabner, Bouchard and Regin for defensive help. Bring up Strome and Lee to play with Nelson. Of course dump Cappy.

Good luck trading Bailey now after our wonderful GM just handed him a new 5/16.5 million contract. Something he didn't even need to address until after this season.

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
Peter Laviolette is NOT going to be coaching the Isles again. Why would he come back to a place that fired him?

Because you don't say no to an NHL head coaching job. You have to stay on the coaching carousel or you will fade away into oblivion.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
This should have been addressed with Nino. If Nino was going to be moved one way or the other, should have packaged him for one of Bernier or Schneider.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Good luck trading Bailey now after our wonderful GM just handed him a new 5/16.5 million contract. Something he didn't even need to address until after this season.

That contract looks awful right now.

Words Of Wisdom

Truth Speaker
Oct 20, 2011
Long Island.
I wouldn't complain if we got our selves a goalie for the future, for the right price of course. But, we need so much more than a goalie. Also, I don't think many goalies are gonna be thrilled to come play for us..

mygameworn

Dec 24, 2007
Connecticut
mygameworn.net
Because you don't say no to an NHL head coaching job. You have to stay on the coaching carousel or you will fade away into oblivion.

That's hilarious, you really think Laviolette has no pride, that he would gladly accept another job here? He won the Cup in Carolina and took the Flyers to the finals. Yes, he would gladly accept a job in this backwards organization.. :shakehead

LotteryForLife*

Great. Garth hasn't destroyed this team enough yet. Let's see how much worse he can make it

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Would love to bring in either Anderson or Lehner from Ottawa but the price tag is probably very high for both. I'd trade Vanek for either one + a pick and then look to bring back Matt in the offseason.

LMAO! Hell no! Now that I can see what a quality winger that actually creates chances for his line and doesn't just bury passes there is no way I want Moulson back. I think Isles fans were tricked all this time and now if you can't see what real talent does for making a line potent you are watching Isles games with your eyes closed. I hope Vanek resigns but if he doesn't, we need to find another quality player just like him, NOT Matt Moulson.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
You'll never guess who just called my house. He was selling 2nd half season plan.
Yes Garth snow is working the phones.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
It's really taking people this long to consider this possibility? This is why the "fire Snow" nonsense is so amusing to me.

there's a certain amount of self-worth that comes with any job. This is typically magnified when you get elite athletes (elite as in being able to play in the NHL, not elite NHLers) - so you'd expect guys like Snow and Capuano caring about winning as much as anyone. Same for Wang who wouldn't have achieved so much corporately without a certain degree of competence.

It's puzzling how much mediocrity/failure is "accepted" - as in, nobody seems to be accountable for continued poor (horrible?) results?!

Capuano rolls out the same lineup, night after night. He continues to overplay MacDonald, including on the PP where it's clear to the whole world that he's not suited there. The occasional line-mixing that happens rarely and is never sustained for an extended period. No call-ups, unless due to injury. No focus on player development (i.e. calling up players and scratching them - deHaan, or continually benching Nelson, or using Donovan completely outside his core strength) - and more and more.

Snow seems very half-pregnant. Why acquire Vanek? and then NOT address the key holes? Assets like Nino, 1st rounder, 2nd rounder, Moulson were used to address NON-HOLES?! It's so completely illogical and has NOTHING to do with Wang or the budget. They are just puzzling/stupid moves.

This team is beyond any help from those currently in charge. Snow should just resign or ask for another role in Wang's empire. Show some pride.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
That contract looks awful right now.

Bailys contract looked awful immediately after he signed it!!! I have been a Bailey hater for years. I was happy that he finally produced but you dont give someone a contract based on 6 games in the playoffs. What was he going to do? Sit out!?!?

He will be our next buyout!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad