Thank you Tommy!!!

tahoesharksfan

Old-Timer
Apr 29, 2014
The Lake
Really going to miss his big body always coming out of any squirming with the puck!

While I hurt now I’m sure it’ll be nothing compared to the pain I’ll feel the first time I see him in a Vee-Gee-Kay’s sweater! :(

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Tomas,

I was a Sharks fan for several years prior to Tomas Hertl joining the organization, but when I think of my most meaningful experiences with the Sharks, Tomas has always been there.

I remember precisely where I was when the Sharks drafted him: watching a baseball game at Fenway Park on vacation with my family, frantically refreshing twitter as Teuvo Teravainen started falling towards the Sharks’ pick. Teravainen had been my favorite prospect in the 2012 draft and I was getting perhaps a smidge too excited as the Sharks’ pick approached. My heart fell when I saw a name that wasn’t Teravainen next to “San Jose Sharks - #17”. And yet, I was strangely not disappointed—looking back at the HF Sharks 2012 draft thread will paint me in a good light, for those curious. I couldn’t explain it, but I felt weirdly okay with the pick despite my disappointment.

I remember waking up before the crack of dawn every few days to see Hertl play for Slavia Praha during the 2012-2013 lockout. Watching 19 year old Hertl on a grainy, illegal stream is one of my earliest memories as an amateur scout, and I remember the confidence I had that Hertl was going to be a special, special player when he finally hit the NHL.

As a Shark, Tomas was nothing but pure emotion. The highs of watching him retire Marty Biron in front of his mother and then-girlfriend. The lows of Dustin Brown pretending to be a hockey player. The sweetness of Hertl’s water-exercise amongst a sea of old folks. His broken but ever-improving English, the joyful sound bites birthing new memes every day.

Tomas is and will always be my favorite hockey player of all time. His physical, creative style of play, his joyful and unrestrained personality, everything about him was created for me as a hockey fan.

There are too many amazing moments to count—his triumphant return to excellence in 2015-2016 on the best line in hockey all the way to the Stanley Cup Final, calling his shot against Vegas in 2019 game 6 and then winning the game himself, the 4 goal comeback the next game. So many special little goals like opening day against the Ducks in 2018, the butt-bump that put Malkin flat on the ice before driving the net, every time he put the team on his back and never gave up.

Probably this is something you don’t know, but Tomas and I share a birth year and our age is just a few months apart. So it’s always felt like I almost grew up alongside him. I don’t usually get emotional about stuff like sports, but seeing Tomas traded out of the blue like this is my lowest moment as a Sharks fan. Worse than the reverse sweep, worse than seeing any other player I’d loved leave SJ, worse than any draft failure, worse than any playoff series loss.

I’ll be back, maybe in a few weeks, maybe in October, but I think I should take some time away from hockey for a bit. Until then, please take care of yourselves, HF Sharks, and treat each other well.

Last edited:

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Tomas,

I was a Sharks fan for several years prior to Tomas Hertl joining the organization, but when I think of my most meaningful experiences with the Sharks, Tomas has always been there.

I remember precisely where I was when the Sharks drafted him: watching a baseball game at Fenway Park on vacation with my family, frantically refreshing twitter as Teuvo Teravainen started falling towards the Sharks’ pick. Teravainen had been my favorite prospect in the 2012 draft and I was getting perhaps a smidge too excited as the Sharks’ pick approached. My heart fell when I saw a name that wasn’t Teravainen next to “San Jose Sharks - #17”. And yet, I was strangely not disappointed—looking back at the HF Sharks 2012 draft thread will paint me in a good light, for those curious. I couldn’t explain it, but I felt weirdly okay with the pick despite my disappointment.

I remember waking up before the crack of dawn every few days to see Hertl play for Slavia Praha during the 2012-2013 lockout. Watching 19 year old Hertl on a grainy, illegal stream is one of my earliest memories as an amateur scout, and I remember the confidence I had that Hertl was going to be a special, special player when he finally hit the NHL.
As a Shark, Tomas was nothing but pure emotion. The highs of watching him retire Marty Biron in front of his mother and then-girlfriend. The lows of Dustin Brown pretending to be a hockey player. The sweetness of Hertl’s water-exercise amongst a sea of old folks. His broken but ever-improving English, the joyful sound bites birthing new memes every day.
Tomas is and will always be my favorite hockey player of all time. His physical, creative style of play, his joyful and unrestrained personality, everything about him was created for me as a hockey fan.
There are too many amazing moments to count—his triumphant return to excellence in 2015-2016 on the best line in hockey all the way to the Stanley Cup Final, calling his shot against Vegas in 2019 game 6 and then winning the game himself, the 4 goal comeback the next game. So many special little goals like opening day against the Ducks in 2018, the butt-bump that put Malkin flat on the ice before driving the net, every time he put the team on his back and never gave up.

Probably this is something you don’t know, but Tomas and I share a birth year and our age is just a few months apart. So it’s always felt like I almost grew up alongside him. I don’t usually get emotional about stuff like sports, but seeing Tomas traded out of the blue like this is my lowest moment as a Sharks fan. Worse than the reverse sweep, worse than seeing any other player I’d loved leave SJ, worse than any draft failure, worse than any playoff series loss.
I’ll be back, maybe in a few weeks, maybe in October, but I think I should take some time away from hockey for a bit. Until then, please take care of yourselves, HF Sharks, and treat each other well.

It’s very touching, your honesty regarding Hertl. I can’t say I get that invested in certain players but I’m glad you did. I feel for you that Tomas is gone. There will be others and the tide will turn again.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Tomas,

Aw f*** I thought I was able to put the emotion away for a bit but this post put me in tears

Cheers Jux, all our best to you

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Tomas,

Yeah, but think about the cap space in 2028.

Reactions: karltonian

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Tomas,

Thanks a bunch for sharing Jux. As they say, wounds heal with time, but that doesn't help in the moment when the pain is at its peak. We all look forward to seeing you back whenever you are ready. Hopefully it'll be before (or on) the day of the draft lottery because just like Hertl called game 6 vs Vegas, it's time for us to call Macklin Celebrini to the Sharks at #1 in the 2024 draft. We're on a mission, and let's go f***ing get him.

cheechoo

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ Tomas Hertl #48 ˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa
GIMNomMXsAAzFyM.jpeg

GIMP8zwWMAIzNxK.jpeg

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
Tomas,

What a great post <3 Take some time Jux -- you're a linchpin of HF sharks; looking forward to you coming back if/when you're ready.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad