Toronto FC: TFC Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
The two best fan bases in the league, and first time in the MLS Cup Final for both clubs. It couldn't have been scripted any better. Hopefully the weather will cooperate!

LeafsTFC

Mar 3, 2011
The Annex
That was an incredible game! Has anyone heard any details regarding tickets yet? I see some on StubHub and such but am curious as to whether some will be released on TFC's official site. Although I'm pretty much going to pay anything to get a seat at BMO on the 10th I think :laugh:

sync95

Feb 21, 2009
Ontario
I still remember watching the inaugural game vs, Chivas USA.

I was so excited for this new team. There have been trying times in roughly a decade since then, but it's all coming to fruition now!

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Anyone know why the games are spread so far apart lately?

After the elimination game, they had 4 days to Gm#1, then game #2 was 7 days apart, then they had 16 days before playing MTL, then 8 days off, and now 10 days off. Why would they want to stretch it out into Dec as the weather gets colder? Kinda weird, no?

gordonshumway

Sep 18, 2010
That was an incredible game! Has anyone heard any details regarding tickets yet? I see some on StubHub and such but am curious as to whether some will be released on TFC's official site. Although I'm pretty much going to pay anything to get a seat at BMO on the 10th I think :laugh:

No info from MLSE yet but you can bet all the resale sites are getting their bots ready... :rolleyes:

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009

After the elimination game, they had 4 days to Gm#1, then game #2 was 7 days apart, then they had 16 days before playing MTL, then 8 days off, and now 10 days off. Why would they want to stretch it out into Dec as the weather gets colder? Kinda weird, no?

I think some of those breaks were to accommodate for international obligations but I may be wrong.

LeafsTFC

Mar 3, 2011
The Annex

The 16 day break was for FIFA qualifiers. If we didn't have that break we wouldn't have had Altidore and Bradley to use because no way is the US not calling those two up for their qualifiers. The other breaks also make sense because a break of less than 1 week isn't ideal in soccer. You can play after a few days but when it's all on the line in the playoffs it's better to take the week off. And as for the MLS cup final, I think it's pretty clear the MLS wants the ratings they'll get on a weekend. This weekend would be too soon (for reasons stated above) so December 10 it is.

I do think the season should be shorter though so that playoffs end a bit earlier.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto

Nothing yet, STH e-mail I got tonight said more details later this week

That was the best game I've seen in this city this decade. Better than the batflip game, games 3/4 against Cleveland in the spring, Game 6 against Boston a couple years ago etc. Absolutely insane.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
There's something magical about the sporting support in Toronto. For such a big city, there's just this amazing togetherness.

It's the kind of thing you find in the smaller clubs in England, a bit of a 'small town mentality' where the fans have such a great unity and spirit because they feel like it's a bit of a 'them against us' attitude, and lots of people/clubs undervalue its effect.

Maybe it's a Canada vs US kind of thing. But whatever it is, it's fantastic to see, and why I follow all Toronto teams in North American sports. Was gutted I left for home just before this game.

Really hope they can do it vs Seattle.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
As someone who remembers the days of Danny Dichio, Jimmy Brennan, Carl Robinson, Maurice Edu, Amado Guevara, Marvel Wynne, Pablo Vitti, Chad Barrett, Rohan Ricketts, Sam Cronin, Nana Attakora, Julien De Guzman...

The wait was worth it!

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
I wasn't a big soccer fan but with the Leafs down by 2 goals last night, I thought I'd have a look and see what all the hoopla was all about.

I instantly saw 2 teams playing in an appalling rain deluge and soaked right through and playing their hearts out, I became a TFC and soccer fan on the spot....Wow!

NikoPopp

Dec 19, 2013
As a lifelong soccer fan growing up in Europe I can easily say that this game is in the top 5 most memorable matches I've ever seen.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Unless MLSE pulls an all-time gouge on everyone, that is a ridiculously unsustainable market.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
I gotta say Cheyrou's goal was pretty amazing to see. Coming in for the injured Giovinco TSN flashed the stats that more less showed he has not played much lately, and one minute later he scores what ended up being the winning goal. That's coming in and being an asset, and picking up your injured teammate.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
One of the better events I've been to live, awesome time.

Unfortunately I have something on next Saturday night and will have to miss the Final, really surprised it's not an afternoon game.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
As a lifelong soccer fan growing up in Europe I can easily say that this game is in the top 5 most memorable matches I've ever seen.

I was saying this yesterday to a friend. I'm not European but I do watch BPL every weekend and champions league and have for as long as its been on TV here. While the difference in class was still apparent, I don't think I've seen many other matches that had that level of intensity and excitement. Plus the rough and tumble of MLS reminded me of how the game used to be played in England years ago. Pace, power and a referee determined to keep his card in his pocket.

I don't think MLS has ever had a 2-leg series as good as this one was.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
I gotta say Cheyrou's goal was pretty amazing to see. Coming in for the injured Giovinco TSN flashed the stats that more less showed he has not played much lately, and one minute later he scores what ended up being the winning goal. That's coming in and being an asset, and picking up your injured teammate.

Obviously the goal was the most memorable but I think it was just before that there was a run of play where he got the ball in midfield, was surrounded but made a few deft touches to keep possession and break out of midfield (something I thought we were struggling with at the time). It was right after the play-by-play mentioned him being a calming force and I thought at that moment that it was an excellent choice in a sub. Then he scored and I lost it :handclap:

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013

Unfortunately I have something on next Saturday night and will have to miss the Final, really surprised it's not an afternoon game.

How many championship games do you know that are held in the afternoon and not prime time?

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
Didn't it used to be the Soccer Bowl and held in a 3rd party site?
NASL is the league whose championship is known as the Soccer Bowl.

And yeah, until 2011 the MLS Cup Final was played at a neutral site. 2012 was when they started having the team with the best record host it instead.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
I can see how the neutral site is probably better in the long term but as long as MLS is still in a position of struggling to attract eyes, they need the hype and excitement of this game being a home game for somebody.

LeafsTFC

Mar 3, 2011
The Annex

Why would it be in the afternoon? This is the cup final, it should be in primetime

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
I can see how the neutral site is probably better in the long term but as long as MLS is still in a position of struggling to attract eyes, they need the hype and excitement of this game being a home game for somebody.

Neutral site is awful.

The 2010 MLS Cup is probably the worst "big time" sporting event I've ever attended.

CFL should follow suit tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad