OT: Teh Philidelphia Severty Sixers: The Doggo Days of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
It's a long season and things can change. Things will change, it only remains to be seen how. If I'm Morey at this point I'm probably willing to let Ben sit and stew in his LA mansion and watch the fines pile up. Right now the situation is static. Once the season starts, the situation becomes fluid. Guys get injured. Things start not working out as well as expected for some teams. Maybe somebody decides he wants to be traded. The only thing Morey has to lose is the possibility of the distraction that Simmons holding out would create, but at this point I don't think anybody will be shocked and they'll be able to go about their business.

Even without Simmons the Sixers are a playoff team. And there's the trade deadline. If we don't go into the season as title favorites I can certainly live with that.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
This changes nothing. Why is anyone surprised by it or reacting in any way? It’s the definition of manufactured news.

This is the third time it's been reported? Or fourth? :laugh:

I think it's just because reports lately have said they expect Simmons to play. So it feels like a new development in the relationship, I suppose even if it isn't.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I think it's just because reports lately have said they expect Simmons to play. So it feels like a new development in the relationship, I suppose even if it isn't.

It's entirely possible there were reports that I missed and if so, please do straighten me out.

The Tom Moore report was often shorthanded that way, but the article said something to the effect of they "think/hope" he will be in camp "at some point." I believe it even said he wouldn't be there to start, but I'm going off of memory. I know the story was nebulous and the summaries did it a disservice.

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
It's a long season and things can change. Things will change, it only remains to be seen how. If I'm Morey at this point I'm probably willing to let Ben sit and stew in his LA mansion and watch the fines pile up. Right now the situation is static. Once the season starts, the situation becomes fluid. Guys get injured. Things start not working out as well as expected for some teams. Maybe somebody decides he wants to be traded. The only thing Morey has to lose is the possibility of the distraction that Simmons holding out would create, but at this point I don't think anybody will be shocked and they'll be able to go about their business.

Even without Simmons the Sixers are a playoff team. And there's the trade deadline. If we don't go into the season as title favorites I can certainly live with that.
Whats the endgame with the fines though? To get him back in the building? For what?

I thought the fanbase was done with this kid.
All summer its been 'he's soft, he's a baby, he's unprofessional, get him out'.
Ok, then we should be fine with dealing him for Collin Sexton + and be done with it.
Cut the cancer out of the body and move on...But folks really dont believe that. Morey obviously doesnt.

You cant say 'this guy is trash get him out of here' and then expect him to be the centerpiece in a Lillard/Beal deal.

Morey already lost. The situation is already toxic.
A good chunk of the talent behind the best 4 year stretch of Sixer basketball since the Reagan Administration is about to be gone for pennies.

But, hey, at least they can stick it to him by only paying 19 of the 30 million he's owed.

E_1QILNVEAgJgW5

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
It's entirely possible there were reports that I missed and if so, please do straighten me out.

The Tom Moore report was often shorthanded that way, but the article said something to the effect of they "think/hope" he will be in camp "at some point." I believe it even said he wouldn't be there to start, but I'm going off of memory. I know the story was nebulous and the summaries did it a disservice.

Fair!

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Whats the endgame with the fines though? To get him back in the building? For what?

I thought the fanbase was done with this kid.
All summer its been 'he's soft, he's a baby, he's unprofessional, get him out'.
Ok, then we should be fine with dealing him for Collin Sexton + and be done with it.
Cut the cancer out of the body and move on...But folks really dont believe that. Morey obviously doesnt.

You cant say 'this guy is trash get him out of here' and then expect him to be the centerpiece in a Lillard/Beal deal.

Morey already lost. The situation is already toxic.
A good chunk of the talent behind the best 4 year stretch of Sixer basketball since the Reagan Administration is about to be gone for pennies.

But, hey, at least they can stick it to him by only paying 19 of the 30 million he's owed.

E_1QILNVEAgJgW5

The endgame for the fines? I don't know, does there have to be one? If a player refuses to honor the terms of his contract he gets fined, right? Are you suggesting the Sixers shouldn't fine him if he refuses to join the team? Or that they should just trade him now before that becomes an option?

My point was simply that if Morey lets Simmons sit (and accumulate fines) into the season I don't think he loses any bargaining power in trade talks- since he doesn't really have any to lose at this point. And being patient could work to his advantage.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
The endgame for the fines? I don't know, does there have to be one? If a player refuses to honor the terms of his contract he gets fined, right? Are you suggesting the Sixers shouldn't fine him if he refuses to join the team? Or that they should just trade him now before that becomes an option?

My point was simply that if Morey lets Simmons sit (and accumulate fines) into the season I don't think he loses any bargaining power in trade talks- since he doesn't really have any to lose at this point. And being patient could work to his advantage.
Morey should bluff their stupid disruptive game by not playing their game in the first place. Simmons is on contract plain and simple ....not like the Sixers don't have leverage in this matter. It's a fallacy to think otherwise.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Morey should bluff their stupid disruptive game by not playing their game in the first place. Simmons is on contract plain and simple ....not like the Sixers don't have leverage in this matter. It's a fallacy to think otherwise.

The Sixers have leverage over Simmons, but not much with other teams when it comes to a trade. Which is the problem.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
The Sixers have leverage over Simmons, but not much with other teams when it comes to a trade. Which is the problem.
Not now they don't...like it was mentioned...the situation will be fluid throughout the season. Doc will not have the distraction of Simmons on the court and can devise his coaching schemes accordingly to start the season. Simmons and his gang banger agent can stew until something more favorable presents itself like Lillard realizing he ain't going anywhere on that team in that Western conference. Finally, all this idiotic talk that the Sixers or the fans have destroyed Simmons' trade value is overblown. Teams still want him regardless for his talent alone. He is on contract for the next few years, still an all star and all defensive team player, young and physically healthy. He is still a mental case but not some massive project or liability where Morey is asking for the moon which he does as initial leverage anyway.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Not now they don't...like it was mentioned...the situation will be fluid throughout the season. Doc will not have the distraction of Simmons on the court and can devise his coaching schemes accordingly to start the season. Simmons and his gang banger agent can stew until something more favorable presents itself like Lillard realizing he ain't going anywhere on that team in that Western conference. Finally, all this idiotic talk that the Sixers or the fans have destroyed Simmons' trade value is overblown. Teams still want him regardless for his talent alone. He is on contract for the next few years, still an all star and all defensive team player, young and physically healthy. He is still a mental case but not some massive project or liability where Morey is asking for the moon which he does as initial leverage anyway.

Simmons destroyed his own trade value. First by not showing up in the playoffs and then with his petulant hold-out.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Simmons destroyed his own trade value. First by not showing up in the playoffs and then with his petulant hold-out.
Well it goes without saying that he is really looking bad...majority of this debacle is on him but the Sixers should have done better with his professional development and not coddled him or rewarded him with a max contract when he refused to work on his game and on a key fundamental at that....

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Well it goes without saying that he is really looking bad...majority of this debacle is on him but the Sixers should have done better with his professional development and not coddled him or rewarded him with a max contract when he refused to work on his game and on a key fundamental at that....

Agreed, but that ship sailed long ago.

trigzter

Feb 3, 2011
PA
I dont think Ben will ever step on the floor as a sixer again and I think Morey knew that. Imagine the fans reaction if he was to play lol. Morey wants him to sit until he is getting more in an offer than he is now but less than he initially expected. No john wall or mccollum. The sixers need a starting point guard. Curry can work as a starting SG so its either a PG of SF imo.

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
correct. His value hasnt changed imo.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
correct. His value hasnt changed imo.
And Simmons who was paid handsomely to add some shooting to his repertoire but choked in the playoffs has no interest in changing his value ..

"One of the messages that Ben has sent back towards Philly is that it’s not his job to fix his trade value,” ESPN’s Brian Windhorst recently said. “It’s not his job to correct his trade value or raise his trade value. That is not something that is on the menu for him. And so, with that out there, I’m not convinced he’s interested in coming in and trying to change the situation.”

5 Teams Reportedly Engaged On A Ben Simmons Trade (msn.com)

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
And Simmons who was paid handsomely to add some shooting to his repertoire but choked in the playoffs has no interest in changing his value ..

5 Teams Reportedly Engaged On A Ben Simmons Trade (msn.com)
obviously Morey is the one who knows what his value is currently.

While it will never happen would love an owner to tell one of these clowns who request a trade that nope not gonna do it. You will play for me or you wont play at all. Flat out tell the player yes I am a vindictive person and you will not dictate to me what you will do. See how fast said athlete comes back after a year of no money with a new attitude.

If i do trade him send him to the worst possible destination. Even if it means taking less in a trade lol..

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
obviously Morey is the one who knows what his value is currently.

While it will never happen would love an owner to tell one of these clowns who request a trade that nope not gonna do it. You will play for me or you wont play at all. Flat out tell the player yes I am a vindictive person and you will not dictate to me what you will do. See how fast said athlete comes back after a year of no money with a new attitude.

If i do trade him send him to the worst possible destination. Even if it means taking less in a trade lol..
It's funny how he has no scruples when it comes to playing hard ball with the Sixers but he wants them to accommodate a trade to California....precious shit.

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
It's funny how he has no scruples when it comes to playing hard ball with the Sixers but he wants them to accommodate a trade to California....precious shit.
because history shows the player always gets his way. I do not blame him as cant hurt to ask.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Nothing? I mean, why even do that interview? The only point to doing that, that I can think of, is to get the message out in public (since presumably Ben is not taking their phone calls) that they want him back with the team. At least for now.
That interview was painful revisionist garbage to listen to. Sixers should excommunicate both Simmons and Doc at this point. I am really starting to lose faith in this org even with Morey at the helm. I hope somehow he can make me see the light again....

Reactions: Ironmanrulez
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad