Post-Game Talk: Teeth

3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
View attachment 777437View attachment 777438View attachment 777453View attachment 777440View attachment 777441View attachment 777442

We have two defensemen in the lineup playing above replacement-level and one playing well.

Does this seem bad to anyone else?

Don't know what's going on with Fox, and Lindgren's already non-existent offense somehow went back another step. Schneider is what he is and tbh, it's fine because most teams' #6 defenseman sucks. People are going to respond to this with "you're SHITTING on Miller who is 11 years old and has six THOUSAND points this year suk it h8rz!!!!!!!!" but Miller-Trouba are a garbage pair and have been every second they've been together in the NHL.

Swapping Miller and Lindgren, which I've been asking them to do since Bun Cook was on then team, seems like it's worth a look.
Love the graphs posted, very insightful.

Your forgetting a Miller excuse though- he only started playing defense last week. By 45 he'll have full acclimated to being a defender lol .Though I will say his shot this year seems much improved which is nice to see, he can become a real weapon off the rush playing with guys like Laf, Panarin, and dare I say Fox. Lindgren-Trouba would be a real nasty pair to play against too, but losing Miller's step up ability in the NZ would be hurtful to Trouba's overall game I'm sure.

Fox is an interesting case. I think teams now play Fox in the offensive zone at 5 on 5 by making sure all 4 other guys are covered and to passively let Fox skate around the net as much as he wants. He's not much of a scoring threat so they play him more passively. He needs to utilize more quick give and go passing to open seams, instead of waiting too long for passing lanes to open up and the play dies. If he takes it to the slot watch the D converge on him thus opening those lanes he so desires as well, easier said than done.

Lindgren has like -75 puck control this year. He'll be 2.5 steps ahead of a defender on a simple play just skating down the half boards in the o zone and the puck miraculously ends up on the defenders stick and he's stuck behind the play. It's amazing how for some guys (Panarin, Fox) the puck is practically glued to their sticks yet Lindgren violates numerous laws of physics with his ability to lose the puck on nothing plays.

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
More clicks on the refresh button/60 than you think!
Looking at the advanced stats, you actually didn't refresh that many times but they were high quality. You were also absolutely elite at defense; HFBoards was unable to refresh you even once during the migration.

Attachments

• will1066advancedstats.png
    will1066advancedstats.png
    49.9 KB · Views: 1

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Looking at the advanced stats, you actually didn't refresh that many times but they were high quality. You were also absolutely elite at defense; HFBoards was unable to refresh you even once during the migration.
I'm really proud of this.

Speaking of advanced stats, Machinehead currently head down in the stack of student papers he had been neglecting to grade cause he had nothing better to do during the server migration.

Reactions: Greg02

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
View attachment 777437View attachment 777438View attachment 777453View attachment 777440View attachment 777441View attachment 777442

We have two defensemen in the lineup playing above replacement-level and one playing well.

Does this seem bad to anyone else?

Don't know what's going on with Fox, and Lindgren's already non-existent offense somehow went back another step. Schneider is what he is and tbh, it's fine because most teams' #6 defenseman sucks. People are going to respond to this with "you're SHITTING on Miller who is 11 years old and has six THOUSAND points this year suk it h8rz!!!!!!!!" but Miller-Trouba are a garbage pair and have been every second they've been together in the NHL.

Swapping Miller and Lindgren, which I've been asking them to do since Bun Cook was on then team, seems like it's worth a look.

Biggest complaint with Lindgren in the O-zone is when he gets the puck in a shooting area, he needs to shoot low and hope for a rebound. STOP skating to the corner, or gliding to the wall at the blueline to "change the angle" then dumping it around the boards or at the net in increasing traffic (blocked shot every time). When you get the puck in a shooting area, shoot it.

Biggest complaint with Miller is his reads. Almost everything he does wrong falls into the category of being too eager to join the offense, or too stagnant in his own end. Duclair gets behind him, forget holding the blueline...fallback and prevent the breakaway. There is a time to pinch and a time not to, and he constantly tries to make plays on bad pucks at the blueline and gets burned for it coming back the other way off the rush. Also, one of the other goals, same thing...gap control. Carpenter goes into the slot, he stays back by Quick. No one else below the faceoff dot...gap up and take the shot away. He stays back, Carpenter gets an uncontested shot off and scores with Miller providing a partial screen. His reads are just weak.

Schneider's biggest issue is activating down the boards and getting caught, and that's he's terrible moving the puck out of his own end, especially on the backhand.

The others are mostly OK. Trouba is what he is, and we can live wtih him as a 4D like that, and he does get dumps just from being on the ice when someone decides they don't want to get blown up.

But the flaws with Lindgren and Miller absolutely can be worked on, and Schneider should be working on his exits every day in practice from now until April and beyond.

IIRC on the broadcast yesterday it was mentioned that San Jose led the league in blocked shots.
They also give up the most actual shots, so that's fairly logical.

Row I Goon

Nov 14, 2018
Watched the game in full this morning. Duc’s first for SJ was a thing of beauty. Sharks 2nd and 3rd goals were “soft” and I will point the finger at Quick on them. The rest were just really crap D work from us.

Anyway….top of the league. Can’t complain.

Reactions: FUZfan and will1066

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Johnny Brodz probably feelin' right now, confident and making it seemingly impossible for them to send him back to the AHL. Can't wait to see the look on his face when they dump him for Whacko Kakko.
First, good on Brodzinski for taking advantage of the opportunity. Second, seems pretty clear that Wheeler is the primary candidate to sit when Kakko returns all things being equal. And finally as far as the “look” - so far Brodzinski showed himself as nothing but a great soldier for the organization so I’m guessing his face won’t show any negative emotions if there were any in your scenario.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Fox slows the game down and then the team tends to get too cute with the passing. As much as I love Fox, this team seems to be better without slowing the game down. They end up flat footed, watching, and making bad passing decisions. It's like the team sees Fox and immediately just want to have the puck in his possession when they can go the other way. I get it. Players tend to look and give the puck to your best players.

Reactions: JCProdigy

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
There is so much room for improvement on this team it's unreal. That's not troubling at all it simply means there's headroom to drastically improve for the POs which is exactly what we want at this point of the season. Compare this to teams like the devils last year and carolina most years who do well in the regular season and can't do anything more in the PO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad