Teemu Pulkkinen II: Re-signed 1 year 735k

Status
Not open for further replies.

BamaWing

May 11, 2010
Birmingham, AL
The Incredible Pulkk doesn't need to be more than a 3rd liner and a power play threat to be a valuable forward for the Wings. Goal scoring on your 3rd line and a PP guy that draws coverage has tons of merits.

I'd agree with this. If he tops out as a 3rd line sniper who can use his shot on our pp I'm perfectly fine with that.

iDangleDangle

We Like Our Team
Jan 2, 2014
A bar
CFPLVCaVEAELWke.jpg

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
In the Gus-Thread we learned that PP goals don't count as much as normal goals. :sarcasm:

1 player less on the ice, Other team doesnt try to attack in the Ozone at all

Yeah, Its the exact same thing as 5v5 where the other team actually tries to create Offence

Not saying Gus didnt deserve 30 (or close to. whatever) But it's not the same exact as scoring 30 5v5

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
In the Gus-Thread we learned that PP goals don't count as much as normal goals. :sarcasm:

Well, it's funny how both average and median number of power plays per game has dropped over the past few seasons from almost 3.5 per game to just over 3. Less power plays mean less chances to capitalize on them.

Acoustic

Sep 29, 2014
1 player less on the ice, Other team doesnt try to attack in the Ozone at all

Yeah, Its the exact same thing as 5v5 where the other team actually tries to create Offence

Not saying Gus didnt deserve 30 (or close to. whatever) But it's not the same exact as scoring 30 5v5

What about the context of power play goals?

Having a good/great PP can change how a team plays against you. Scoring clutch goals on the PP can change the game around. PP goals are no less than a 5v5 goal. Playoffs may be a different animal though.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Teemu Pulkkinen season by season in NA.

12-13 16-3G-3A-6P .375 (Griffins)
13-14 84-36G-34A-70P .833 (Red Wings+Griffins)

14-15 93-53G-37A-87P .935 (Red Wings+Griffins)

- Still waiting pulky's contract renewal -

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Teemu Pulkkinen season by season in NA.

12-13 16-3G-3A-6P .375 (Griffins)
13-14 84-36G-34A-70P .833 (Red Wings+Griffins)

14-15 93-53G-37A-87P .935 (Red Wings+Griffins)

- Still waiting pulky's contract renewal -

Only one other RFA has gotten renewed so far. Be patient.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Some news about Pulkkinen:

http://www.iltalehti.fi/nhl/2015071520038704_nh.shtml

Finnish goalscorer's contract situation will be resolved "in a few weeks

It's clear that he will play next season in the Red Wings shirt.

- In a few weeks, the decision should become, Pulkkinen says.

Detroit Red Wings drafted Pulkkinen 4th round at the 2010 entry draft. So far, he has had two adjustment seasons to NA hockey, which are visited mainly in the AHL.

- Reaching the NHL will not mean anything yet, only staying there will mean, Pulkkinen tells.

- It won't be easy. It requires hard work and also luck.

Pulkkinen and the Red Wings will probably sign a 1-year, 1-way contract.

- It is a good length for both parties, Pulkkinen estimates.

- During that period, I have to show for all that I have earned my place.

Another article about his training:

http://www.iltalehti.fi/nhl/2015071520038703_nh.shtml

Teemu Pulkkinen about Red Wings training schedule: "I'll do exactly what feels right"

Teemu Pulkkinen works hard - but every workout does not have to be deadly.

Pulkkinen whips himself into NHL shape at least once a week with a stairs training.

Now I feel good down here (at starting part of the stairs). On the top it feels bad again, Teemu says.

There's four practise visits in the Malminkartano hill behind.

The rise on the hill has 426 wood steps. The route down goes through a sandy path with walking and recovering from the tough rise.

Pulkkinen is planning to do six climbs in a one workout, so the two thighs and buttocks burning runs is still yet to come. he has completed four.

- The beginning of the climb is pretty gentle. Always on that stage I feel like this is a piece of cake, he explains.

- Then the rise will get steeper, and acids strike. The last part takes just mental toughness to get through. Stair running is not painless for anyone, especially for somebody built strongly for hockey.

- No one likes to run the stairs, but when you have done the hard workout and take a bottle of water, after all, it's feeling so good at the time, he smiles.

In total, these six highest rises in the Helsinki scene has taken time a little less than an hour. But it does not fill Pulkkinen's daily training program yet.

Earlier on the day, he had an hour shooting and skill -practise at Tikkurila Ice Arena. In the evening, he is joining a street hockey event at Pasila.

- After the street hockey, I could go for another half-hour jog, Pulkkinen says.

After a workout, Pulkkinen usually visits in a nearby gas station, and rewards himself with a sugarfree-Coke, and continues:

- It would be stupid to leave in bad shape back to Detroit, because the place there has to be earned.

- First you have to want to be a top player and then be ready to work hard for it. You can not train doing just some minor things.

Some old rumors still keep alive a legend about Pulkkinen as a bad trainer. The main reason for those seems to be 2012 playoff spring at Jokerit, when he first was a healthy scracth at the men's league and then also for the A-juniors lineup.

The rumor mill around the young star was huge. Urheilulehti (Sports magazine) wrote about a guy in a weak condition and Teemu only concentrating on eating fast food.

- I remember, I remember. But explaining that is pretty pointless, Pulkkinen smiles.

- What I can say, every time I have been training a lot and believed in my hard work. Perhaps at the younger age I did not think about resting and nutrition issues as accurately as now.

Pulkkinen did rose on his rookie season at the Finnish Elite league (2010-11) straight to stardom. He scored 18+36 = 54 points in 55 games and was ranked TOP5 on the point scoring table.

The sky was open - or at least the gate in NHL.

The two following seasons were tougher after high expectations. Points did come but not anywhere near the pace of his rookie season.

"I don't think Pulkkinen-boy will ever be a NHL player", some Jokerit fans started to throw some distrust in him.

- Then I had a bunch of injuries, and I didn't know how to handle them as it should have, Pulkkinen explains.

- Those were mentally big setbacks for me.

After three seasons at Jokerit, Pulkkinen joined Grand Rapids, Detroit's farm affiliate team. Goals began to come in a comfortable pace, and at last season Pulkkinen was downright murderous: in 62 matches he beat the buzzer 48 times.

- The attitude in America versus Finland is so different. It's good to be good at something, rather than pointing out that you have a weakness, Pulkkinen describes.

- If you are good to score goals, then score those goals. In Finland, you have to play first better defense, then you can earn the right to score those goals.

Pulkkinen got a taste of NHL in 31 games at last season. he scored five times, which is a good amount with small minutes and in a small role.

At next season, a good or even excellent AHL season is no longer an option. The main target is a permanent place for the Detroit Red Wings team.

- Who would really like to play in the AHL, Pulkkinen smirks.

Despite the tough career target, his summer is not just continuous training struggle against lactic acid at Malminkartano stairs.

- Tennis is fun. Badminton is fun. Floorball is nice. Street hockey is fun. Golf is fun, Pulkkinen lists.

- You have to balance the nice and not-so-nice workouts.

Detroit gave some spring training instructions for Teemu, but you can't find the list nailed on his apartment's wall.

- I'll do exactly how it feels good for my body.

Jesus, this translation was hard, but I got some great laughs. Finnish hockey language has many crazy synonyms which have totally different meaning in English. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

nafnlaus

#nohashtagsinthebath
Apr 20, 2015
Sorry to bump this, but is Pulkkinen a RW or a LW? Half the sites I can find say he's one, and the other half say he's the other.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
RW. Plays the left side (or point) only on the PP.

In Grand Rapids he played both sides,Left and Right (i think)
his position on PP wasn't locked either(not like Ovechkin's is),its either
in left point,left side of blue line,or between points.

For Griffins, his role was kinda free,
mainly because,there wasn't a spot that he couldn't score from :laugh: :nod:

Pulky can score from anywhere/everywhere
and he is everywhere on the ice,you just gotta have a
good enough player with high hockey IQ to find his blade,
cause he is ready to shoot 24/7.

PULKCANNON LIVES FOREVER :yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad